PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo questions

Syxx_Killer
03-20-08, 02:12 PM
I've been wondering, when setting torp depth what is it measured in? Is it yards or feet? If I see a ship's draft as 25 feet in the recognition manual and set the torpedo accordingly, it will go WAY under the ship. At the moment I always set the dial at the shallowest depth.

Additionally I use TMO and it has different graphics for the TBT. Speed looks like it can be set to slow, medium, or high. However, high is never usable. What's the purpose of the three speed settings? With the stock TBT graphics it was low or high for speed.

M. Sarsfield
03-20-08, 02:14 PM
What type of torpedo and what year? Mk. 14's had a tendency to run deep until the issue was corrected in mid-'43. The dial is in feet on the US subs and meters on the German subs.

Quillan
03-20-08, 02:16 PM
If you're using Imperial measurements, it's in feet. If you're using Metric, it's in meters. The depth-keeping problem is modeled in game, so they tend to run deep, and especially so in rough seas.

howler93
03-20-08, 02:45 PM
I think the medium speed setting for the Mk14 is as high as she'll go...consider it a high speed setting I guess :-? The only time I use slow setting is when I'm trying to attack two ships in a convoy, where I fire my first fish at slow setting, and the next salvo (for the 2nd target) using the faster speed setting. Works well for me, unless there are duds!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Howler :arrgh!:

Syxx_Killer
03-20-08, 02:53 PM
Thanks guys. It probably is the Mk. 14 I use. I just take what they give me. I haven't really played around in later war years. Are there any torpedoes in the game that have a high speed setting? Right now, with these graphics it kind of bugs me to see a high speed setting I can't use. :dead:

Anyway, if I want to do an influence shot under the keel, how much deeper than the keel do you guys recommend I go? Five feet?

M. Sarsfield
03-20-08, 02:56 PM
Mk. 14's have fast, medium, and slow settings.

Under the keel shot, probably 2 to 3 feet, since they run a little deep, anyway. Don't be surprised if it prematurely denoates or doesn't detonate at all. The magnetic/contact detonator was as big of a nuisance as the depth problem.

Syxx_Killer
03-20-08, 03:05 PM

They do? I've only ever been able to choose slow or medium.

M. Sarsfield
03-20-08, 03:11 PM
The speed switch is cranky. There's a magic spot to get it to switch to fast. You have to play around with it.

Syxx_Killer
03-20-08, 04:24 PM
I tried every which way to click that speed switch, but I can't get it to go to the high speed setting. All the torps on my boat are Mk. 14's, so that shouldn't be an issue. I can only click back and forth between low and medium. Where do you normally click the dial to switch it between medium and high? Btw, I am using TMO with RSRD (v1.4 of the game).

howler93
03-20-08, 04:47 PM
I'm using 1.5 with TMO and RSRD (no service packs yet) and I've never been able to set to high speed setting...If there's a way, tell me too!!!!! :yep:

Fincuan
03-20-08, 05:25 PM
The unmodded(and TMO) ingame Mk-14 has two speed settings, 31 and 46 knots. Corresponding speed switch positions are slow and medium, there's no high setting.

Ducimus
03-20-08, 05:27 PM
There are only TWO speed settings. The "slow", "medium", and "fast" label you see in TM is a "bug" with Oakgrooves texture. He, for whatever reason, got carried away with the labeling there. Ive been meaning to fix the texture, but keep putting it off. What can i say, procrastination is my middle name.

Rockin Robbins
03-20-08, 05:34 PM
They do? I've only ever been able to choose slow or medium. There are only two speeds on the Mark 14, slow, which is slow and medium, which is fast. I know fast is 46 knots but I don't know the slow speed because I never use it.

CinC Battleforce
03-20-08, 08:37 PM
the settings on the Mk 14 are:

1> slow=31 kinots for a range of 9,000 yards
2> fast (In TMO medium)=46 knots for a range 4,500 yards

CinC Battleforce
03-20-08, 08:38 PM
In the USN, the three speed settings were usually used with surface fire torpedoes fired from destroyers

Syxx_Killer
03-20-08, 09:41 PM
For anyone interested I fixed the graphic to show low/high speed instead of low/med/high speeds. You can see the thread here.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=133524