PDA

View Full Version : Who mans the hydrophones and radar (radio)?

difool2
03-19-08, 08:20 PM
Looking through my crew in port just now, I noticed that there doesn't appear to be anyone specifically assigned to the sonar and radar/radio stations in the sub, like there is in SH3. Did I miss it, are their positions "disguised" (perhaps the guys in the conning tower?) or something?

LukeFF
03-19-08, 09:07 PM
Conning tower

Zantham
03-19-08, 09:41 PM
In your crew management screen (in the sub or in port) the sonar and radar are controlled by the guys in the radio room. I dont think there is a specific guy for radar and a specific guy for sonar ala SH3, the room simply has a leader slot and a crewmember slot, and the efficiency of both the sonar and radar is determined by a combination of all the crew in the room. Under normal running, the efficiency is determined by the active watch, under battelstations the efficiency is determined by all the crew slots for that room.

Also note that there is a single specialization called Sensors for the radio room crew, unlike SH3 which had a qualification for sonar and another separate one for radio.

M. Sarsfield
03-20-08, 08:01 AM
My experience it that the guy in the left slot is assigned to sonar and the guy in the right slot is assigned to radar. If you swap the two guys out and go back to the 3D view, you will notice that they have changed positions.

By default, the senior enlisted man is put on sonar (left slot), but I usually put him on the radar set on the surface, because I want to know if aircraft or surface contacts have been spotted. If I'm avoiding DD's, I'll put him back on sonar.

maerean_m
03-20-08, 10:20 AM
My experience it that the guy in the left slot is assigned to sonar and the guy in the right slot is assigned to radar. If you swap the two guys out and go back to the 3D view, you will notice that they have changed positions.
You're right (on the 3D part).

But as far as the radar and sonar efficiency go, it's one and the same.

M. Sarsfield
03-20-08, 10:23 AM
It could be. In fact, I noticed that when I moved the senior enlisted man out of the left slot, the overall efficiency of the compartment dropped a little. So, maybe my method actually hurts more than it helps.