PDA

View Full Version : flight sim

Sniper450
03-19-08, 12:29 PM
I have been playing the Silent Hunter series for a few years and am looking to branch out to a flight sim. I have no real preference but have been looking at the IL2 sims. I would appreciate some forum input on the sims. If i was only to get one flight sim......

FIREWALL
03-19-08, 12:34 PM
Hi sniper50 :D I gotta say IL2-1946. :yep: It has all the IL2's and Pf all wrapped up in one package with a bonus. The MS flight sims would be my second choice. Hope that helps.

Sniper450
03-19-08, 12:36 PM
I have CFS3 adn Falcon 4/0 but havent touched either in some time. Falcon i think was just way over my head. 1946 is then a stand alone and not an add-on? Thanks for the input FIREWALL.

Dowly
03-19-08, 12:41 PM
Yes, IL2 1946 is stand-alone. If you're looking for almost 200 flyable planes, good multiplayer and lots of theatres to fly, IL2 1946 is your choice. If you dont care about lots of flyable planes and theatres and want immersion and a great AI, Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory is what I'd suggest.

Sniper450
03-19-08, 12:43 PM
Thank you Dowly. Battle of Brittain II has not multiplayer. I used to run the Nascar series online and really enjoyed 42 others in a race.

FIREWALL
03-19-08, 12:47 PM
Yes, IL2 1946 is stand-alone. If you're looking for almost 200 flyable planes, good multiplayer and lots of theatres to fly, IL2 1946 is your choice. If you dont care about lots of flyable planes and theatres and want immersion and a great AI, Battle of Britain II: Wings of Victory is what I'd suggest.

I forgot about those DOWLY.:oops: I bow to your knowledge :yep: :D

If anyone knows about flightsims it's DOWLY, Sniper50.

He's crash landed about every plane in it. :rotfl:

Dowly
03-19-08, 12:50 PM
Yes, you're right. BoB II doesnt have MP, atleast yet. BDG is doing amazing job on continuing to patch the game with help from Shockwave. They did mention that they DID implement multiplayer to BoBII, but there was so many bugs that they arent planning to include it to their patches before it works properly.

Sniper450
03-19-08, 12:50 PM
Thats always good to have an awesome knowledge base available. Now onto hardware. I have a Saitek (?) joystick and no peddles....will i still getsome enjoyment outta these games? Thats my last question till i buy one of these games. I thank you all for our help!

Dowly
03-19-08, 12:51 PM
He's crash landed about every plane in it. :rotfl:

GODDAMMIT!! Who leaked that!? It was supposed to be kept secret! :damn::p

Dowly
03-19-08, 12:52 PM
Thats always good to have an awesome knowledge base available. Now onto hardware. I have a Saitek (?) joystick and no peddles....will i still getsome enjoyment outta these games? Thats my last question till i buy one of these games. I thank you all for our help!

Does the joystick have twist handle for the rudder? If not, you ought to either buy a new joystick or pedals as in a dogfight, you're doomed if you have to work the rudder via keyboard.

Sniper450
03-19-08, 12:54 PM
yes it does twist...that should keep me going till i can save some $ for a decent rig. :oops:

Dowly
03-19-08, 12:57 PM
yes it does twist...that should keep me going till i can save some $ for a decent rig. :oops:

Then you're all set to hit the skies. :up: And feel free to join our little SubSim Aviators group anytime you want, we fly almost every night together for a few hours. That's the best way to learn the game if you ask me, fly together in a private server where we can give you tips in realtime etc. ;)

FIREWALL
03-19-08, 01:03 PM
I have saitek x52 with saitek rudder pedals and love em.

And ya Dowly the words out on YOU.:rotfl:

IIRC dan and hunter said to give you plenty of room.:p

Dowly
03-19-08, 01:08 PM

I cant even start to imagine how hard it would be to fly with pedals after the twist handle. :o

Dan? Hell, that info is then atleast 350 years old. :yep: I think our "master of landings" is now Kratos, he get's the plane down to the runway but usually with abit too much speed. Me and Hunter are usually just watching from the side Kratos' plane go tires screeching past us and then you hear a big crash and a faint voice: "Guys... I'm stuck...". :rotfl:

FIREWALL
03-19-08, 01:13 PM
I'm looking forward to flying with you guys.:yep: I have TS and headphones with boom mike. I assume you guys use IL2-1946 ?

Dowly
03-19-08, 01:17 PM
I'm looking forward to flying with you guys.:yep: I have TS and headphones with boom mike. I assume you guys use IL2-1946 ?
Yep, IL2 1946 patched to 4.08m. The TS server is the GWX server hosted by Jimbuna, there's quite a few threads about it in SubSim so you should find it fast. We start our flights at 21GMT and like I said, it's on most evenings (one planned for today), so feel free to hop in. :up:

Oh and we have now started to fly our dogfights with everything on realism except for speed bar & your own map icon.

FIREWALL
03-19-08, 01:31 PM
Roger that Dowly.:up: See you all in the wild blue yonder tonite.:yep:

Kratos
03-19-08, 01:47 PM
I cant even start to imagine how hard it would be to fly with pedals after the twist handle. :o

Dan? Hell, that info is then atleast 350 years old. :yep: I think our "master of landings" is now Kratos, he get's the plane down to the runway but usually with abit too much speed. Me and Hunter are usually just watching from the side Kratos' plane go tires screeching past us and then you hear a big crash and a faint voice: "Guys... I'm stuck...". :rotfl:
:cry: Yea pick on me why dont you ;)

Oh and we have now started to fly our dogfights with everything on realism except for speed bar & your own map icon.

really!! damn it i'm just trying to get used to new joystick as well

Dowly
03-19-08, 01:57 PM
really!! damn it i'm just trying to get used to new joystick as well

Whoa, what joystick you got? Oh and yes, locked cockpit and all that. Though it would give a bit more change for the rest of us against Mr. Wondershot, but then I realised the bastard has TrackIR. :damn:

FIREWALL
03-19-08, 02:06 PM
[quote=Dowly

Oh and yes, locked cockpit and all that. Though it would give a bit more change for the rest of us against Mr. Wondershot, but then I realised the bastard has TrackIR. :damn:[/quote]

Gee I thought everyone had that. I forgot I had TrackIR. heh heh heh:D

Kratos
03-19-08, 02:24 PM
Whoa, what joystick you got?

http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=17&PlatformID=5

I got a visit from my sister the other day and she happen to mention she's got this and a sidewinder gamepad she bought and never used.Soooo me being me says ''if you dont use it gee's it'' She said sure and sent it down to me when she got home. I like idea of the seperate throttle, which you can seperate the throttle and the joy and have either side of keyboard.but the joystick spring is not as tight as my logitech, it still needs a bit calibration,because it doesnt have the same feel as my other one.

ps gonna phone her tonight and ask if perhaps she got a track ir she bought and doesnt use :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Dowly
03-19-08, 02:49 PM
Looks like a very good joystick. I like how there's buttons on the throttle handle. :up:

Steel_Tomb
03-19-08, 06:45 PM
http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=11&PlatformID=5

My stick :rock: :rock:

Sniper450
03-19-08, 08:08 PM
You'll have to let me get some hours in b4 i try to fly with you online. It's been awhile but when ready, im all for it!! Thanks for the invite.