PDA

View Full Version : Were any U-Boats armed like this

Laufen zum Ziel
03-18-08, 10:42 PM
I know they used a quad but this AA seems strange. It is from the JIN I-401

http://s262.photobucket.com/albums/ii113/laufen345/th_Anunderseaphotorevealsanantiaircraf.jpg BTW- There are 183 SH4 style songs at my FF site for DL http://hosted.filefront.com/LaufenZumZiel/

http://silent-hunter-addict.com

Sailor Steve
03-18-08, 11:03 PM
I think the Germans, like the Americans and British, used single, double and quad mounts.

Only the Japanese seemed fond of triple AA mounts.

Grayson02sept1980
03-19-08, 03:09 AM
double and quad just are logical as when you stack a double... guess what... you get a quad :lol:

those triple seem very... strange for us... maybe the Japanese have something with "lucky" number 3 etc... dunno..

and to answer the above question... nope... never have seen something comparable

flakmonkey
03-19-08, 05:19 AM
Yep those big I400 class subs used 3 triple barrel flak guns on their upper deck just above the aircraft hanger.

I dont think anyone else used triples because why have 3 when you can just as easily have 4!

Tessa
03-19-08, 06:27 AM
double and quad just are logical as when you stack a double... guess what... you get a quad :lol:

those triple seem very... strange for us... maybe the Japanese have something with "lucky" number 3 etc... dunno..

and to answer the above question... nope... never have seen something comparable

In the Japanese language the number four is "shi"; which has a dual meaning. One being the number 4, the other being the word for death. 4 is generally considered unlucky and isn't used much; very similar to the number 13 here is the US. Some hotels don't have a 13th floor, in general labelling something with the number 13 is generally avoided due to negative stigma attached to it; just as the number 4 is generally avoided with the Japanese.

Jimbuna
03-19-08, 07:10 AM

In the Japanese language the number four is "shi"; which has a dual meaning. One being the number 4, the other being the word for death. 4 is generally considered unlucky and isn't used much; very similar to the number 13 here is the US. Some hotels don't have a 13th floor, in general labelling something with the number 13 is generally avoided due to negative stigma attached to it; just as the number 4 is generally avoided with the Japanese.

That is an interesting theory......Not sure if that is the real reason though :hmm:

Could well be :lol:

Graf Paper
03-20-08, 02:02 PM
I believe the tradition got started in the Sengoku period when the Samurai of Takeda faced gunfire from the teppos of Tokugawa forces in what is considered the first "modern" battle in Japanese warfare where western style rifle formations were used.

Upon getting shot and hurled from his horse when struck with a ball from one of these Japanese arquebuses, during the last calvary charge of Takeda's soliders, Samurai Fuoku Yorumama's last words exclaimed, "Oh shi...!"

Hence the number four was forever linked with bad fortune for generations to come.:know:

Jimbuna
03-21-08, 09:05 AM
Quite reminiscent of the film The Last Samurai I suppose http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1817/thinkbigsw1yo4.gif

Hakahura
03-21-08, 02:12 PM

That is an interesting theory......Not sure if that is the real reason though :hmm:

Might be something in this

I caught the back end of "The battle of Midway" on TV last night.
Couldn't help but notice the Japanese AAA on the Carriers... predominatly triple mounts.

Good film by the way, seen it so many times, doubt there's many on this forum who haven't.

Jimbuna
03-21-08, 04:49 PM

Might be something in this

I caught the back end of "The battle of Midway" on TV last night.
Couldn't help but notice the Japanese AAA on the Carriers... predominatly triple mounts.

Good film by the way, seen it so many times, doubt there's many on this forum who haven't.

See if you can get the film Yamato....there isn't a version with English subtitles, but the film footage is truly amazing (and all the AAA are triple mounts IIRC) :lol:

Kipparikalle
03-22-08, 03:55 AM
Silly humans creating guns that gets affected by their good luck/bad luck believs.
Traitorous sweins!