PDA

View Full Version : Flashing Your Bios ? ? ?

FIREWALL
03-16-08, 02:25 PM
I saw this in another thread yesterday and can't find it now. :damn:

What is it and how do you do it ?

After all the laughter dies down, could you guys explain this to me please. :D

Jimbuna
03-16-08, 02:27 PM
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/biosflash1.html

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Hardware-Guides/Why-and-How-to-Flash-Your-BIOS/

bert8for3
03-16-08, 02:34 PM
I saw this in another thread yesterday and can't find it now. :damn:

What is it and how do you do it ?

After all the laughter dies down, could you guys explain this to me please. :D

You have to get a raincoat and then stand on a corner and then someone walks by and ...

I apologize ... I couldn't resist :rotfl:

edit: kidding aside, those links that jimbuna posted are interesting ... I've always wanted to try it, imagining some outstanding performance gain, but as one article says, I've always been way to scared to try it (and still am). If you try it, let us know how it goes.

stabiz
03-16-08, 02:37 PM
I have been thinking of doing this too, but it seems like something I will get wrong, and my house will burn to the ground.:nope:

FIREWALL
03-16-08, 02:39 PM
I have been thinking of doing this too, but it seems like something I will get wrong, and my house will burn to the ground.:nope:

What he said. :yep:

Sailor Steve
03-16-08, 02:40 PM
You have to get a raincoat and then stand on a corner and then someone walks by and ...

That's okay; at first I thought he was looking for the "Bios of SubSim members" thread.:oops:

FIREWALL
03-16-08, 02:48 PM
This convinced me to pass on this one.:-?

The hazards of BIOS flashing As described earlier, the BIOS is a crucial component of your computer since it is always the first program that runs when you turn the machine on. If the BIOS does not run, the machine cannot boot. Therefore it is very important that a BIOS upgrade is performed properly. If it fails, it can permanently ruin the BIOS, resulting in your computer becoming a door stop. Common reasons for BIOS flashes gone bad are power failure during the flashing process, and flashing the BIOS with an incorrect BIOS version.

This is the part you want to read carefully. :yep:
Because of these dangers you do not flash a BIOS just for ****s and giggles, but only if there is a very good reason.

Jimbuna
03-16-08, 02:51 PM
This convinced me to pass on this one.

The hazards of BIOS flashing As described earlier, the BIOS is a crucial component of your computer since it is always the first program that runs when you turn the machine on. If the BIOS does not run, the machine cannot boot. Therefore it is very important that a BIOS upgrade is performed properly. If it fails, it can permanently ruin the BIOS, resulting in your computer becoming a door stop. Common reasons for BIOS flashes gone bad are power failure during the flashing process, and flashing the BIOS with an incorrect BIOS version.

This is the part you want to read carefully. :yep:
Because of these dangers you do not flash a BIOS just for ****s and giggles, but only if there is a very good reason.

Even though I posted the links, I was very tempted to advise against it. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4030/winkbigid2zj6.gif

Sailor Steve
03-16-08, 02:53 PM
Reminds me of the old days when you had to insert the boot disc to start your computer.

"I lost my boot disc!":damn:

FIREWALL
03-16-08, 02:55 PM
Reminds me of the old days when you had to insert the boot disc to start your computer.

What's a boot disc ?:-?

Sailor Steve
03-16-08, 02:57 PM
:rotfl:

You are joking, right?

danlisa
03-16-08, 03:02 PM

1.44 Floppy that used to start you PC for you.

However, Steve's was probably a cartridge.:rotfl:

Anyway, flashing your BIOS is fairly easy these days. Usually your MOBO comes with a set of PC tools. My ASUS does. One of these utilities is a BIOS flashing program which backups your current BIOS and then downloads the correct one for your MOBO. It will then flash it for you upon shutdown/restart.

That said, unless you are specifically experiencing trouble that is attributed to your BIOS being dated, don't do it.

bert8for3
03-16-08, 03:03 PM

:rotfl: been there done that for sure. 5 1/4 (was it 1/4?) inch floppy discs. Remember those? I had to use a 3 1/2 (1/2?) floppy the other day to pull something off an old laptop, had a hard time remembering which way to put it in and that it read as A drive.

FIREWALL
03-16-08, 03:03 PM
:rotfl:

You are joking, right?

I have to have a little fun don't I Steve ? :rotfl:

Sailor Steve
03-16-08, 03:04 PM
Yep, 5 1/4". When it really was a 'floppy' disc.

And Firewall, I'm glad you like your fun, but around here you never know for sure...

FIREWALL
03-16-08, 03:15 PM
Yep, 5 1/4". When it really was a 'floppy' disc.

And Firewall, I'm glad you like your fun, but around here you never know for sure...

Ain't that the truth. :p

Jimbuna
03-16-08, 03:17 PM

:rotfl: been there done that for sure. 5 1/4 (was it 1/4?) inch floppy discs. Remember those? I had to use a 3 1/2 (1/2?) floppy the other day to pull something off an old laptop, had a hard time remembering which way to put it in and that it read as A drive.

I've still got some in the loft off one of my earlier rigs. A real racer it was in it's day....a Pentium 333Mhz 16MB memoty and a 1.5GB HD.

You could use them now for beer mats :rotfl:

FIREWALL
03-16-08, 03:21 PM

Anyway, flashing your BIOS is fairly easy these days. Usually your MOBO comes with a set of PC tools. My ASUS does. One of these utilities is a BIOS flashing program which backups your current BIOS and then downloads the correct one for your MOBO. It will then flash it for you upon shutdown/restart.

That said, unless you are specifically experiencing trouble that is attributed to your BIOS being dated, don't do it.

My mobo is a 2004 GT Edition. (see sig) It came with a cd and a manual. Strolling thru the manual I didn't see any reference to "flashing the bios.

Any thoughts on this. Oh btw the reason for this is I upgraded cpu, 2 gigs of ram and vid card.

bert8for3
03-16-08, 03:21 PM
All the time spent (wasted?) trying to tweak autoexec.bat and config.sys and clear out a few more available bytes in the first 640K. What a pain!

FIREWALL
03-16-08, 03:24 PM

My mobo is a 2004 GT Edition. (see sig) It came with a cd and a manual. Strolling thru the manual I didn't see any reference to "flashing the bios.

Any thoughts on this. Oh btw the reason for this is I upgraded cpu, 2 gigs of ram and vid card.

:bump:oops:

fatty
03-16-08, 03:34 PM

edit: kidding aside, those links that jimbuna posted are interesting ... I've always wanted to try it, imagining some outstanding performance gain, but as one article says, I've always been way to scared to try it (and still am). If you try it, let us know how it goes.

BIOS updates rarely give substantial performance updates unless you have previously unsupported hardware that was introduced in the BIOS. Unless the changelogs indicate something you really want... better to not fix it if it ain't broke.

On a sidenote, Vista makes it pretty easy to swap out your BIOS now. You do it right in the OS and don't even need a bootable diskette. It's great.

geetrue
03-16-08, 03:51 PM
My polish sonar Chief Ostroski always said, "If it works ... don't fix it"

peterloo
03-17-08, 09:56 AM
In the past, you need to create a DOS boot disc, along with the flashing program and new bios into it, get into bios, and execute the flashing programme. I've tried once for my BIOS and one for my DVD firmware. Now, you might be able to do it in Windows (for some models)

You need to wait a minute or so in order to let the programme write the new bios into it

To successfully do so, first, you must make sure that you have a good power supply (insert charged battery for notebooks so that the flashing process continues even when the external power is down) Also, be careful! One of my friend accidentally kicked the reboot button of his desktop when he was burning a disk, resulting the loss of a CD-Rom. If this happens when you flash, you know it hurts...

secondly, use a brand new floppy. (this has killed many green motherboard flashers) Don't use the old ones, since they probably contain bad sectors. Purchase one is a smart idea. Scan for the existance of bad sectors before you try using a old floppy (Bad sector infested floppy = a paper full of holes. The computer writes on it, not knowing the existance of these holes, but they will know when it tries to read it later and finds something goes wrong...)

Finally, get the right bios. Download them only in the official sites. Make sure the flashing ulity is of the same version and the bios fits your motherboard. Check the model number carefully as different motherboard has different flashing methods.

Last but not least, better safe then sorry. Don't flash unless it is totally necessary (say, there is a serious bug)

If you get into trouble, you can ask your retailer to fix it for you (yes, they can since they have got special tools to do it) but it costs.

p.s. Flashing the bios, being an advanced stuff, usually does not appear on your user manual. Some might mention it, through.