PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a book about WWII airwar.

Dowly
03-16-08, 01:27 PM
Like the title says, It's time for me to get another book about the airwar of WWII. I'm not into technical stuff, but more about the battles, tactics, stories etc. And pictures are always a great to have.

Thanks. :up:

bert8for3
03-16-08, 01:31 PM
Have you read Stephen Bungay's The Most Dangerous Enemy? A history of the Battle of Britain. Absolutely excellent ... debunks some myths ... puts it in perspective, including political background, development of air forces on both sides etc etc ...

Dowly
03-16-08, 01:35 PM
Nope, havent read it. I'll check out if I can find reviews of it. :up:

EDIT: Sounds like a great book!

bert8for3
03-16-08, 01:53 PM
I can't say enough about it, guaranteed you'll like it ... also btw has two good pics sections (maybe 4 pages of pics each IIRC).

Torplexed
03-16-08, 02:27 PM
Time Life used to have an excellent series called the Epic of Flight with individual volumes that did a wonderful job of highlighting the individual air forces of WW2 with anecdotes, pilot stories and great background information. Sadly, I don't think they're in print anymore...

http://neptoon.homestead.com/Time-LifeBooks.jpg

Dowly
03-16-08, 02:46 PM
Aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwww!! :damn:

Torplexed
03-16-08, 02:55 PM
You could always try Ebay or a used book seller. :ping:

Sailor Steve
03-16-08, 04:07 PM
How many thousands of books do you want? There are at least one hundred 'story' books for every single technical one. There are several day-by-day accounts, many many books about the Battle Of Britain, every single episode of the US vs Japan war, too many to count; and most of them good to excellent.

I just recently read a biography of VMF-214--the Black Sheep.

A good place to start would be The First and the Last; a personal memoir by Adolph Galland.

Dowly
03-16-08, 04:25 PM
Never really liked Galland personally, mainly because he didnt give that much support to the fighter commanders when they went to Goering to talk about the current state of the LW and the ridiculous decisions made in the command.

I have my eyes on a BoB book written by Geoffrey Wellum, who flew with the 92 Squadron called First Light. But then there's few Luftwaffe books I found from here in Finland, mainly thinking of "The Blond Knight of Germany", a book about Hartmann or book about Peter Düttmann, who flew only the 109, my fav plane, so.

Marcantilan
03-16-08, 05:27 PM
I have read "Ploesti" 3 o 4 times. One of my personal favorite readings (others, p.e "A Bridge too Far", "The First and the last") about WWII.

http://www.amazon.com/Ploesti-Ground-Air-Brasseys-Aviation-Classics/dp/1574885103/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205706713&sr=8-2

Sailor Steve
03-16-08, 06:41 PM
Sadly, I don't think they're in print anymore...
And that's why we have Abebooks:
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=time-life&sts=t&tn=the+epic+of+flight&x=60&y=15

Dowly
03-18-08, 03:28 AM
Well, I picked me a copy of Luftwaffe Fighter Aces. :up:

Marcantilan
03-18-08, 10:33 AM
The Mike Spick book? Awesome.

One of my personal favs.

I have read the book four times at least (the first one in Brazil, Summer of 2000, fond memories of fleas, mosquitos, beer, hot bikini chicks...and Rall, Baer, Galland & Nowotny)

In fact, I picked the book yesterday from my library to check info about early versions of the Bf-109.

Congratulations!

3Jane
03-18-08, 11:27 AM
'Eagles Wings' - Hajo Hermann.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajo_Herrmann

Dowly
03-18-08, 03:43 PM
The Mike Spick book? Awesome.

One of my personal favs.

I have read the book four times at least (the first one in Brazil, Summer of 2000, fond memories of fleas, mosquitos, beer, hot bikini chicks...and Rall, Baer, Galland & Nowotny)

In fact, I picked the book yesterday from my library to check info about early versions of the Bf-109.

Congratulations!

Yep, the one by Spick. :up:

Dowly
03-18-08, 03:48 PM
'Eagles Wings' - Hajo Hermann.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajo_Herrmann

I was actually thinking of getting Kampfflieger zwischen Eismeer und Sahara at first, it's about Peter Wilhelm Stahl, a JU88 pilot, but as the Luftwaffe Fighter Aces concentrates in so many things, I decided to go with that. ;)

XabbaRus
03-18-08, 05:21 PM
Midway Dauntless Victory, the one reviewed for subsim. I'm reading it and it is great.

bert8for3
03-18-08, 08:23 PM
Gordon Prange's At Dawn We Slept (Pearl Harbor) and Midway are also exellent. Long, detailed, but very readable style. On the Pacific War generally (to go slightly OT), Toland's The Rising Sun.

Captain Vlad
03-20-08, 11:26 PM
I have a good chunk of Time-Life's Epic of Flight and WWII collections. Very nice general history in those.

Dowly
03-25-08, 06:23 AM
Okie, the Mike Spick's 'Luftwaffe Fighter Aces' arrived today. Have only read 17 pages, but wow! How about changing the name to 'Luftwaffe Fighter Tactics', as there's quite abit of drawings of different maneuvers and a quick explanation when they were used etc. :up:

STEED
03-25-08, 08:50 AM
Two splendid books I got as follow.

The Last Year of the Luftwaffe
May 1944 to May 1945
By Alfred Price

It's the best one of the Last year of books.

And this is a real great must have.

The Mighty Eighth
A History of the units, men and machines of the US 8th Air Force
By Roger A. Freemon

tedhealy
03-25-08, 11:10 AM
Fire in the Sky: The Air War in the South Pacific

http://www.amazon.com/Fire-Sky-Air-South-Pacific/dp/0813338697/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206461722&sr=8-4

Der Kolkrabe
05-06-08, 01:03 PM
Some books in my home library :up:

- Fork-Tailed Devil - The P-38 / Martin Caidin
- First Flight / Geoffrey Wellum
- Fighter Pilot / Paul Richey
- Fighter Pilot's Summer / Paul Richey with Norman Franks
- A Dance with Death - Soviet Airwomen in World War II / Anne Noggle
- Red Star Against The Swastika - The Story of a Soviet Pilot over the Eastern Front / Vasily B. Emelianenko (IL-2 Pilot)
- Fighter Boys - Patrik Bishop
- Thunderbolt! / Martin Caidin
- Samurai / Saburo Sakai
- Mein Kriegstagebuch / Hans-Ulrich Rudel
- Die grosse Jagd / Heinz Knoke
- The Blond Knight of Germany / Raymond F. Tolliver & Trevor J. Constable
- Ich war kein Jagdflieger-As / Anton Wöffen
- Das Tagebuch des Hauptmann Lipfert / Helmut Lipfert
- Night Witches / Bruce Myles
- Stormbird - Flying through fire as Luftwaffe ground attack pilot and Me 262 ace / Hermann Buchner

trojer
07-22-08, 04:23 PM
Martin Middlebrook has written extensively on allied raids into Germany ;
I recommend The Schweinfurt-Regensburg mission, The Nuremberg raid, The Battle of Hamburg all vivid and interesting.
Max Hastings's Bomber Command is also very excellent on the RAF campaign against Germany.

daft
07-23-08, 04:26 PM
I heartily recommend John B. Lundstroms two books The First Team and the sequel First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign. Both describe the naval fighter combat in the early part of the war and are expertly written and well researched. Two of the finest aviation history books I have ever read (and I've read quite a few).

FIREWALL
07-23-08, 05:23 PM
Have you read any of the American " SEE DICK " books ?

Example : See Dick Fly
See Jane Fly Better
See Dick Shoot Jane Down :p :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: