PDA

View Full Version : T-maru Atlantic action

pythos
03-13-08, 08:03 AM
I just noticed the Holy Locke missions in the newest T-maru. The readme did not have any explanation of this (at least I did not see it). Did fleet boats serve in the atlantic? Or was it just the American S-boats.

M. Sarsfield
03-13-08, 08:05 AM
I think it was S-Boats and MAYBE a V "cruiser", but I may be wrong about that one.

CCIP
03-13-08, 08:07 AM
No, actually, it was just a SubRon of fleet boats. S-boats did serve in the Atlantic, but only after they were handed over to the British on lend-lease.

M. Sarsfield
03-13-08, 08:32 AM
That's right. We loaned out the S-Boats and I think the US SubRon mostly operated in the Carribbean and canal area.

CinC Battleforce
03-13-08, 08:57 AM
SubLant was very thin. Its main force throughout the war was old tired boats. It mainly operated out of New London, Ct. and Key West, FL. The Sub base at Grunton, CT was the home of the sub school SubRon. in the early stages this force consisted of the old O and R class subs. Once the war kicked off they did get some fleet boats. The boats in question were found to be to tired or to limited due to construction for combat use. These fleet boats consisted of the Dolphin, early P class, and eventually the Catchalot class boats. Down in Key West, Fl. the Sublant had the sonar and asw training squadron. Now this consisted of S class boats mainly, and the two boats of the Makerel class. SubLant did have control over new built boats that were completed on the East Coast of the US and the ones sent down the Mississippi that were built on the Great Lakes, but this was pretty much only administrative until they reached the Panama Canal and crossed over to the Pacific side of the Canal, where they were "chopped" into the control of SubPac.

It was rare for a SubLant boat to stray away from the US.

M. Sarsfield
03-13-08, 09:04 AM
Yeah. It's not like we went out into the middle of the Atlantic looking for u-boats to sink. The Bogue-class ASW groups were a lot more effective with that operation.

Fincuan
03-13-08, 09:05 AM
http://www.subvetpaul.com/SAGA_6_98.htm

M. Sarsfield
03-13-08, 09:09 AM
That's very interesting, Fincuan. This would be a cool single patrol to add to the game.

Ducimus
03-13-08, 09:10 AM
Google "subron 50.",
see mod FAQ.
Enjoy a couple pics here ( http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08221.htm )

M. Sarsfield
03-13-08, 09:12 AM
The link he provided talks about SubRon 50.

pythos
03-13-08, 08:20 PM
Researched subron 50, and found a posting concerning this. Nice idea to add this.