PDA

View Full Version : Manual targeting for U-boats

tjlegault
03-09-08, 06:37 PM
Hi all,

Here is a silly question for you, is there a “how to use manual targeting” for the

u boats out there?
Thanks
TJL

Paajtor
03-09-08, 06:44 PM
Ok.:arrgh!:

overview (http://www.subsim.com/ssr/sh3_1104/preview_sh3_oct04_tdc.htm)

in depth (http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/)

gl.:rotfl::up:

P.s. both guides are based on SH3, but should do I think.

Rockin Robbins
03-09-08, 08:03 PM
I've sunk 29,846 tons so far using the Dick O'Kane technique. It works for U-Boats exactly as it does in the Fleet Submarine. It's deadly accurate and you set up the whole attack usually at least 15 minutes before you fire torpedoes. You can bake your victory cake while you wait for the target to arrive!:up:

I've hit 5 of 7 torpedoes fired so far and sank 2 tankers and a cargo ship, all American.

tjlegault
03-09-08, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys!

capt_frank
03-10-08, 07:06 AM
I've sunk 29,846 tons so far using the Dick O'Kane technique. It works for U-Boats exactly as it does in the Fleet Submarine. It's deadly accurate and you set up the whole attack usually at least 15 minutes before you fire torpedoes. You can bake your victory cake while you wait for the target to arrive!:up:

I've hit 5 of 7 torpedoes fired so far and sank 2 tankers and a cargo ship, all American.

And (drumroll)...here's the linky to the most excellent Dick O'Kane method as demonstrated by Rockin Robbins...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=652326&postcount=67

Rykaird
03-10-08, 03:13 PM
Actually both methods detailed here are quite similar. As far as I can tell, the so-called O'Kane method can basically be described as "Fast 90 With Radar". It uses the Fast 90 method linked in the first reply, but target track is found via radar instead of stadimeter and bearing observations.

Of course, as much as the O'Kane method (as described) is down on estimating AoB I seem to recall old Dick himself actually had a lazy susan set up with a ship model and constantly practiced making quick and accurate AoB estimates by sight.

Both the Fast 90 and O'Kane methods are ambush tactics, requiring a lot of setup time to get into a nice perpendicular firing position. I have to take a huge amount of time making repeated measurements, fine tuning every variable before I fire if I want to hit anything. I was shocked when I read "Iron Coffins" and they were making snap shots against different targets in rapid succession just using basic information and a quick glance through the UZO, and hitting targets relatively frequently, even while maneuvering.

M. Sarsfield
03-10-08, 03:46 PM
Of course, as much as the O'Kane method (as described) is down on estimating AoB I seem to recall old Dick himself actually had a lazy susan set up with a ship model and constantly practiced making quick and accurate AoB estimates by sight.

I remember seeing film footage of O'Kane's XO practicing to identify the AOB with a lazy suzan and binoculars (at least I thought it was his XO making the observations). The ship was in the center of the wheel and they had bearing lines all along the perimter. O'Kane would turn the wheel and could see the bearing reading, but his XO could not.