PDA

View Full Version : 4th Training mission

Sub Sailor
03-09-08, 12:16 PM
I could sure use some help with this mission.
I have worked the other 3 a lot and feel I am competent, but this one, I get hammered every time.
One thing I noticed is the convoy is not traveling the way the briefing screen says. Now I don't think that is the problem, I cannot avoid the DDs, and get sunk every time so far.
Can anyone give me some pointers on how to succeed in this mission/

Thank you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):damn:

savedsynner
03-09-08, 02:14 PM
Stay under 40 feet. Go 1/3 speed. And try to get lined up for a shot ASAP.

Red Devil
03-09-08, 02:40 PM
I have just got a brand new quad core pc and running this for the first time. I am currently on the convoy action trainer too. When I first spot a ship approaching nearly head on at 036, (approaching destroyer) crash dive and turn on a heading of 090. Reduce to 1/3 speed and cruise until sonar has destroyer somewhere astern. Continue on current heading but slowly bring her up and have a peep for the convoy. I think you will find you and the merchants are on an excellent intercept course. There are two/three other destroyers who will take up station far what should be your stern. BUT, when first torp hits a tanker (don't bother with merchants) take it down again and turn on a parallel course with convoy, go at standard speed or less, unless your lucky enough to take out a tanker on your first strike (prob 3 torps). Try for two tanks together to "slow them down" to finish off later). Convoy should turn west, and tankers south west but I do not know if convoy prgram is standard or random.

Sub Sailor
03-09-08, 03:39 PM
I just finished another run with some success. Boy it sure seems to take reloads along time.
I will keep plugging away.

Thanks,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):up:

LukeFF
03-09-08, 06:05 PM
Boy it sure seems to take reloads along time.

Put your crew at battlestations while reloading torpedoes.

Sub Sailor
03-10-08, 08:39 AM
LukeFF;
Thank you very much. I sure have learned a lot the last few days from all of you. I am really not dumb, but some of the instructions in the manual are not real clear.
I wish I could do more to support SubSim, because this site and the people on it are great.
I am 67 years old and while I can use a computer I am not as comfortable with them as you younger people. I still worry that I will wreck the darn thing. It is with the help of all of you that I have learned as much as I have. Another gentleman on the SH4 web page just taught me more about setting up the sound on-My Computer- than I ever knew. I did not have a clue the potential that was there.

I appreciate all of you,

Ron Banks MMCM(SS), USN(Ret):D :rock:

-Pv-
03-10-08, 06:01 PM
Computers aren't as fragile as they were 20 years ago. Most people get into trouble when they start experimenting. While you're in the game, you can't hurt anything as the coders of most applications do things to prevent you from activating destructive options.

I too had trouble with the same training until I learned to do an immediate submerge while reversing to get under before being spotted, then do all the attacking I wanted. Battle stations increases your crew response time for everything, but when being hunted by destroyers, it also makes you easier to find. Everything in this game is a risk vs aggressiveness trade.
-Pv-