PDA

View Full Version : Out of fuel... annoying!

Type941
03-09-08, 09:15 AM
So what am I supposed to do guys? I run out of fuel half way to Midway base, having started in PH. I ran on diesel at Standard, basically just to recharge batteries, and ran on electric underwater, once that ran out, i go up, recharge and go again. I came short. What did I do wrong?

Am i supposed to refuel in Midway or something on the way to patrol area near Japan? Because frankly I don't feel like playing another hour just to find out even that's not enough. Are there refueling points in sea which I'm not aware of?

I'm trigger maru mod, 1.5 patch.

nfitzsimmons
03-09-08, 10:05 AM
When sailing out of Pearl early in the war refueling at Midway is a necessity. I also refuel there on the way back. later when your base is transferred there patrols off the ciast of Japan and in the Yellow Sea are much less problematic.

Also, do a search on the forum for fuel consumtion tips. For example the Gato's greatest cruising range is at a speed of 9 kts.

seafarer
03-09-08, 11:12 AM
Do NOT cruise at telegraph setting = "standard". Switch to the knot meter and manually set your speed at 9 knots (click about at the 9.5 mark to get the order confirmation of "9" knots).

That's about your best speed in anything but an S-class boat. At 9 knots, you can cruise from Midway to any Pacific area of operations and back, no problem.

Also, when diving, cruise at 2 knots to minimize battery discharge. Charging batteries uses more fuel then straight cruising at 9 knots, so you don't want to spend any more time charging then necessary. When short of fuel, "porpoising" will NOT maximize your remaining steaming distance.

Ducimus
03-09-08, 11:16 AM
I changed "standard" to be the most fuel efficent setting. An idea borrowed from RFB's dive rate mod.

At any rate, unlike SH3, running submerged most of the time WILL NOT conserve fuel. Battery recharge times are much longer (8 to 9 hours), and the amount of energy lost to recharing those batteries offsets any bennifit from running submerged as much as possible to conserve diesal. Really, you want to conserve batteries as well, because now, replacing those bats, acutally does cost you precious fuel. Personally, i try to keep my bats at 50% or higher, and don't run them down farther then that unless theres a real good reason.

Type941
03-09-08, 12:22 PM
so as rule of thumb, go at 9 knots, and submerge only when necessary? Man I ran out of fuel in middle of patrol, that was pretty lame.. Ill restard career. :)

Torplexed
03-09-08, 01:41 PM
so as rule of thumb, go at 9 knots, and submerge only when necessary? Man I ran out of fuel in middle of patrol, that was pretty lame.. Ill restard career. :)

You....me, just about everyone here has done it. ;) Oh whatta feeling.

Type941
03-09-08, 02:03 PM
just played through a mission where i had again run out of fuel... had a big tangle with a DD, and ended up forced to surface due to damage.. then i managed few lucky shots and blew up the bastard, but hull damage at 89, the USS Gar had to turn back home and with half way fuel left i figured ill make it back alright. NOT. Ran out halfway to Midway. AGAIN. :damn: :damn:

Yanaran
03-09-08, 02:22 PM
You can stack up on some crew with engine abilites and you won't have fuel problems, I promise. I had one ensign with the increased fuel capacity ability and set out on a patrol, during the crossing to Japan two other officers in my engine compartment got abilities, another fuel efficiancy (appears they stack) and one speed increase. Now I can cruise 13-14000 nm at 19 knots in my Gato - it's a bit silly really. I'm going to dismiss one of the fuel guys cause with all 3 of them it's just over the top.

Ducimus
03-09-08, 02:31 PM
If you suffer damage to the battery, recharge mode doesnt shut off on its own, you have to do it manually. That sucks fuel pretty fast if your not aware of it.

SurfnSea
03-09-08, 02:52 PM
Well our commander, Bernard Von Unfal, thought special abilities meant taking on a few crewman with Viking heritage, give them oars with very long handles and call that our back up if we run out of fuel. Herr Bernard's other solution was to plot a straight arrow course, which isn't good if there's land between us and our destination, and that means we'd deal with problems more serious than lack of fuel. Actually I think our most serious problem is Bernard himself.

DavyJonesFootlocker
03-10-08, 07:48 AM
First off I don'y know why folks submerge unnecessarily. That drains your boats energy. Submerge when attacking with torps and when aircraft approches. Furthermore I sail from PH to Midway on standard ok then refuel there and sail on 2/3 for the rest of the way.