PDA

View Full Version : channel transit

Joe S
03-08-08, 12:44 PM
I realize orders are orders, but this is a bit silly: I was just transferred to St. Nazaire, and got orders to patrol AN52. One would think the Kiel based boats would be in a better position to patrol the east coast of England. At any rate, I have never gone through the channel unless I had to, but would like to know what the consensus of the group is, should I go through the channel to get to AN52 or take the scenic route? thanks! Joe S

P_Funk
03-08-08, 12:50 PM
Go around and take the long route cause the channel is a deathtrap... at least if you're using GWX or other mods. If its vanilla yee use then it matters not which way thou goest.

GoldenRivet
03-08-08, 12:51 PM
Hmmm

go the channel route and let us know how it went. Be sure to leave your money, cigars and dirty books in your bunk box, also we will need a forwarding address and phone number for your wife/girlfriend... just in case.

have a good trip!

headcase
03-08-08, 01:16 PM
It's not called the English Channel for laughs. Stay out of Der Kanal! Stay out of shallow water!

P_Funk
03-08-08, 01:40 PM
Stay out of Churchill's Shallow Canal! :stare:

emtmedic005
03-08-08, 01:42 PM
O yeah the Der Kanal Is fun to go through in a VII and sure it has plenty of good targets. BUT you will prolly be killed in the process hahaha Do it for the Fatherland:arrgh!: :arrgh!:

3Jane
03-08-08, 01:55 PM
Nonsense, the channel is a piece of cake. My tried and trusted method works every time. In a VIIB or a IXB.

Umfuld
03-08-08, 02:01 PM
Go around. Very good chance you will hit a convoy and whatnot on the way up past the West coast of England.

My last patrol I was to go to just North of England. Hit a convoy and used up all my torps before I could get there.
Passed a couple more convoys on the way home I had to let go for lack of torps.

Ah, the happy times

melnibonian
03-08-08, 02:33 PM
We've said it before but here it comes again

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY OUT OF THE CANAL :yep:

Brag
03-09-08, 07:28 AM
If you go, loan me 500 Reichsmarks before you leave.:D

Otherwise there is a simple rule to follow:
Stay out of Shallow Water!
Stay Out of Der Kanal !

Joe S
03-09-08, 08:27 AM
Well, I guess that answers my question! Thanks for confirming my strategy! Joe S

Jimbuna
03-09-08, 08:37 AM
If your currently playing GWX or plan to play 2.1 in the future, it won't really matter because there won't be any renown awarded for reaching your patrol grids.

If your using SH3 Commander, it's a simple task to assign yourself what will be (in your opinion) a more realistic/fitting patrol grid. http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

the.terrabyte.pirate
03-09-08, 09:08 AM
If your currently playing GWX or plan to play 2.1 in the future, it won't really matter because there won't be any renown awarded for reaching your patrol grids.

What about the satisfaction of a job well done.

I mean, we're in the German Navy, people. When you're given an order, you follow that order. If bdu wants you to patrol an area, then you patrol that area. They have their reasons. If bdu accidentally assigns you a grid in mainland France, then you better fit wheels to your U-boat, because the bdu is your mother, father, and bratwurst. You can't just be running off to find juicy targets wherever you please. That's not how we'll win the war!

Did you ever stop to think that the reason Germany lost the war was because you guys couldn't follow simple patrol orders?

Jimbuna
03-09-08, 10:08 AM

What about the satisfaction of a job well done.

I mean, we're in the German Navy, people. When you're given an order, you follow that order. If bdu wants you to patrol an area, then you patrol that area. They have their reasons. If bdu accidentally assigns you a grid in mainland France, then you better fit wheels to your U-boat, because the bdu is your mother, father, and bratwurst. You can't just be running off to find juicy targets wherever you please. That's not how we'll win the war!

Did you ever stop to think that the reason Germany lost the war was because you guys couldn't follow simple patrol orders?

Not really.....and funnily enough, I suspect neither did the Allies http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif