PDA

View Full Version : How accurate are the maps?

Tessa
03-04-08, 12:03 AM
Anyone have any idea as to how accurate the game maps are with respect to the real contour/depths in the oceans? There's places I've been Scuba diving and know for a fact that the depths are 100 feet or more, yet ingame it'll be 20 feet deep. There's a few places I've been where standing on the edge of a cliff and the drop is a few thousand feet down, yet even several miles into the trench the depth is still reported as 20 feet.

Is it possible to mod the map such that it more closely mirrors the actual contours of the ocean floor? Few days ago ran into a situation almost exactly as the Das Boot crew faces in Gibraltor while inside a port (think it was Curacao) and have so much flooding that I just start plunging down. Finally fixed the compressor and was able to blow out enough with the high pressure air to stop sinking and remain at 170 meters. Thinking more about it, I don't think its possible to have a real port that deep, you wouldn't be able to run any of the necessary pipes to the moorings.

Doing a crash dive in an area where irl the bottom is a couple hundred feet translates into 30 or 40 feet gets annoying having to stop the dive as not to incorrectly bottom the boat.

P.S. How comes a DD can hit you with a full load of depth charges after you've bottomed the boat with 100% accuracy?

Kptlt. Siegmann
03-04-08, 12:15 AM
P.S. How comes a DD can hit you with a full load of depth charges after you've bottomed the boat with 100% accuracy?

Unfortunately, this is hardcoded into the game and cannot be fixed. The GWX team has made mention of this somewhere. I wish that tactic was feasible in the game, but it's not to be:down:

harzfeld
03-10-08, 10:07 PM
I would like SH3 to also include estuary factors nearby land where shallow waters are, not just wind benefits to avoid being detected while submerged. It would be useful for us being closer to coast of Americas when there's no wind and a DD approaching if we are far from deeper water. I think it works best when weather gets colder.

But this hard coded sucks that giving us enough of constraints, next Uboat game should be under different publisher and teams than UBIsoft who aren't as greedy & dense heads. At least I never brought another UBI games after SH3 and never will.

Torplexed
03-10-08, 10:13 PM
Frankly, I'm still amazed that Ubi is still putting out submarine sims at all. Virtually no one else still is. Any other company that does is quite as likely to be close to the chest with the code.

Graf Paper
03-10-08, 10:35 PM
Such is what you get when a company's overriding philosophy is entriely focused on the bottom line and profit margins.

I miss the good ol' days of capitalism when it was all about giving the customer a better product at a better price than the competition.

We need a return to true craftsmanship, but it's not likely to happen in this "global economy" that is getting foisted upon us where everything is measured by the lowest common denominator.

Cheap products made by even cheaper labor is becoming the standard. :roll:

However, as the buyer, you can force a company to improve their product quality by simply refusing to buy anything they make until they do improve and letting them know it with a loud voice. They only sell what you'll buy, after all. So some of the blame lies with us for these poorly made products, including sofware and video games.

P_Funk
03-10-08, 11:19 PM
Such is what you get when a company's overriding philosophy is entriely focused on the bottom line and profit margins.

I think they're all like that. In fact its law I believe that a corporation that doesn't extract every bit of revenue from the market that it knowingly can is not satisfying its fiduciary duty to its share holders.

So the bottom line is sadly what its always about, and the bigger the corp the more the bottom line demands you skimp on quality to pump out efficient lower grade high volume product.

Welcome to American Capitalism.:up:

Blacklight
03-10-08, 11:24 PM
However, as the buyer, you can force a company to improve their product quality by simply refusing to buy anything they make until they do improve and letting them know it with a loud voice.

Then the company will blame their profit loss on us the consumer and sue us like what the RIAA is doing. :nope:

TS13
03-11-08, 12:16 AM
SH3 is a pretty decent piece of work, tbh. Not perfect, and it always makes sense to push for more, but I don't think it deserves serious beating.

P_Funk
03-11-08, 01:02 AM
However, as the buyer, you can force a company to improve their product quality by simply refusing to buy anything they make until they do improve and letting them know it with a loud voice.

Then the company will blame their profit loss on us the consumer and sue us like what the RIAA is doing. :nope:
No no no no, they'll just blame profit loss on a recent military instability in the middle easy instigated by some irrelevant and unrelated event and then pass on the revenue deficit to the consumer by increasing prices and/or firing the brilliant European developers who ironically made the product they're selling.

As you can tell I'm not jaded at all.:|\\

Sailor Steve
03-11-08, 09:49 AM
Apparently the maximum depth at Curaçao is only about 20 meters.
http://www.curacaomaritime.com/History.htm

ReallyDedPoet
03-11-08, 10:27 AM
Frankly, I'm still amazed that Ubi is still putting out submarine sims at all. Virtually no one else still is. Any other company that does is quite as likely to be close to the chest with the code.

My thoughts exactly. Without the SH3 as the base we would never have some of the great mods that we do. The same can be said for SH4. Yes there are limitations, yes there are things we we wish were included, there have been specific threads for those.

However, there have been enough threads like this that eventually lead to bashing the Ubi, devs., etc that lead nowhere. Let's get back on track here as far as the OP so we can keep this one going.

RDP

Tessa
03-11-08, 06:59 PM

I miss the good ol' days of capitalism when it was all about giving the customer a better product at a better price than the competition.

We need a return to true craftsmanship, but it's not likely to happen in this "global economy" that is getting foisted upon us where everything is measured by the lowest common denominator.

Cheap products made by even cheaper labor is becoming the standard. :roll:

However, as the buyer, you can force a company to improve their product quality by simply refusing to buy anything they make until they do improve and letting them know it with a loud voice. They only sell what you'll buy, after all. So some of the blame lies with us for these poorly made products, including sofware and video games.

I couldn't agree more that the times when quality was more important than quantitiy. Problems that face software companies now is the lack of a revenue stream with single player games like SH3/4. Once someone purchases their copy they have nothing else to buy from them. These games have some of the most active communities around, at any time of the day there's always several hundred people logged in. The demand and interest is there, problem being that software companies don't realize this and/or don't know where to look. The fact that GWX exists and the thousands of hours that have (and still do) go into its development should be a screaming alarm that there is a demand here; that people would go to so much effort to mod a game should entice Ubisoft that there is still something there to work on.

ReallyDedPoet
03-11-08, 07:43 PM
Time to move on from this one, I think enough has been said on the subject.

RDP