PDA

View Full Version : Neal, is it possible... (NA DVD for dial up players)

U-Schultz
03-01-08, 09:43 AM
to have an arrangement with SubSim where a person could send you the $9.99 for the add-on (plus whatever for your trouble and S&H) and recieve it burned on a CD?

Apparently there is not going to be a North American boxed version and for some of us a 600+ MB download is not practical.

I live in the country where my connect speed is slightly above 26.4. A d/l of the add-on would take days and that is assuming I do not have a disconnect...which of course is real common.

Is it possible to work something out for a burned CD copy?

Onkel Neal
03-01-08, 09:48 AM
to have an arrangement with SubSim where a person could send you the $9.99 for the add-on (plus whatever for your trouble and S&H) and recieve it burned on a CD?

Apparently there is not going to be a North American boxed version and for some of us a 600+ MB download is not practical.

I live in the country where my connect speed is slightly above 26.4. A d/l of the add-on would take days and that is assuming I do not have a disconnect...which of course is real common.

Is it possible to work something out for a burned CD copy?

Hi Schultz,

that's a nice idea but I don't think it is possible. What I will do is contact Ubisoft ASAP and see if they can get this on a DVD for people. It should be something they have in mind already. E-mail me at subsim@subsim.com and remind me next week.

thanks
Neal

U-Schultz
03-01-08, 09:54 AM
Sweet!
Thanks for your efforts on this.
I can't be the only one who is "S.O.L." on this!

Torplexed
03-01-08, 10:06 AM
Sweet!
Thanks for your efforts on this.
I can't be the only one who is "S.O.L." on this!

I'm in the same boat....er sub. :lol:

Go4It
03-02-08, 01:01 AM
Me 2..........................................

Takao
03-02-08, 05:19 AM
Add my name to that list please.

U-Schultz
03-05-08, 05:39 PM
E-mail reminder sent. :D

longam
03-05-08, 06:45 PM
Just for info----

I don’t know if anyone in the sticks (USA) is aware but there is a service called Sprint Mobile Broadband.

I too am stuck in an area where no service is available except Dial up – ISDN – Satellite – or now EVDO.

I did the all of the above and now have this service and love the connection. Avg 800-100kb down and 200kb up.

They have a 30 day trial and might be worth checking out for some that can afford it or get it.

Onkel Neal
03-05-08, 06:54 PM
I sent a note to several Ubi marketing people.

I will keep trying but so far they have not replied "yes, no, we will look into it". Par for the course.

Neal

Onkel Neal
03-05-08, 10:15 PM
Update: A quick response to my follow up e-mail:
I’m still looking into this. Unfortunately, some key people are out this week, so it may take some time to get you an answer.

I'm going follow through on this. I understand the thinking behind making this a download only--it's a mere $10 and DVD packaging and process would eat into that significantly. However, there are people who simply cannot get the game unless it is on media. So, it makes sense for them to offer a DVD version too. But, after getting ready to post this, I see that it is available in NA on DVD at Go Gamer
http://www.gogamer.com/Silent-Hunter-4--U-Boat-Missions-Expansion--I--PC-Simulations_stcVVproductId38392830VVcatId444808VVv iewprod.htm (http://www.gogamer.com/Silent-Hunter-4--U-Boat-Missions-Expansion--I--PC-Simulations_stcVVproductId38392830VVcatId444808VVv iewprod.htm)

Kinda pricy, but it is available. I will let you know what I find out about Ubi NA offering it at a more reasonable price.

Neal

U-Schultz
03-06-08, 04:20 AM
I've checked out Go Gamer before from other threads here.

I read, either here or on the UBI forums, that the "(I)" next to the title means the DVD is "imported" (Europe?) so it is not the NA edition.

Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Onkel Neal
03-06-08, 07:35 AM
I've checked out Go Gamer before from other threads here.

I read, either here or on the UBI forums, that the "(I)" next to the title means the DVD is "imported" (Europe?) so it is not the NA edition.

Thanks for your continuing efforts.

Ah, I see, ok, I will confirm.

TDK1044
03-06-08, 09:44 AM
Update from Neal:

"I have confirmed from the Devs that the Go Gamer Boxed DVD version should work with the NA version of the game." :D

U-Schultz
03-06-08, 01:59 PM
I wonder if the "should work" means 100% compatability with all the upcoming mods made expressly for the NA version?

I guess my fantasy would be for Subsim to be the exclusive distributor for the NA boxed edition and getting a nice commission for their trouble.

Or maybe a rich Uncle to pay my kids college tuition so I can buy a satellite connection for high speed d/l's.