PDA

View Full Version : DVD Films about Uboats and WW2 related themes

Carotio
02-13-08, 06:39 PM
Hi,

recently I bought some movies from the German Amazon site, and I just wondered, if there is any interest if I write a few words about them - when I have had the time to watch them - and then tell if they're worth to buy or not?
I would also like to point out that these movies from this purchase are in German with no subtitles!!! So you need to understand German in order to have a clue about what they're saying. There may be versions out in the market in UK/USA, which have English subtitles, so I can make a scan of the covers if requested for you to refer to if researching them...

This are the movies:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Carotio/DSC04794.jpg

So it's 5 documentary movies about naval warfare/uboat warfare, one cinematic movie about a uboat and then two other WW2 related movies.

I also had in mind that maybe some others could post in this thread, when you find some movies with the same theme and give your critics about them whether to buy or not, about good and bad.

So far, I have only seen the uboat cinematic movie completely. If there's an interest, I will write some words about it...

Graf Paper
02-13-08, 07:14 PM
You mean there's other U-Boat movies besides "Das Boot"??:huh:

samofire
02-14-08, 06:31 PM
"The Battle of the Atlantic" series that BBC put out is very good; lots of good info about the u-boat war...

von Zelda
02-14-08, 06:45 PM
Grey Wolves: U-boats 1939 - 1941
Grey Wolves: U-boats 1942 - 1943
Grey Wolves: U-boats 1944 - 1945
Suicide Missions: U-boats (by the History Channel)

yamato9
02-14-08, 07:03 PM
It is very welcomed that you write some notes about this movies.:up:

NOTE: "Deutschen U-Boot-Waffe 1914-1945" is translated on croatian language(syncronised) so possibly some other movies from your list have some translatation in other languages

Rhodes
02-14-08, 07:11 PM
I wonder if the film "The Last U-boat" is a good movie...:hmm: It's the story of the last misson of U-234, isn't it? Getting the bug to watch it...

Carotio
02-14-08, 07:52 PM
I wonder if the film "The Last U-boat" is a good movie...:hmm: It's the story of the last misson of U-234, isn't it? Getting the bug to watch it...

Indeed it is, and that is also the only dvd, which I have reached to see completely yet!

So for those who haven't seen it yet, then it is based on an authentic story taking place in the very last days of the war. About a uboat leaving Norway with a course for Japan, carrying uranium, construction plans for a nuclear weapon plus two Japanese officers as passengers. During the voyage, the message about Germanys surrender reaches the uboat, and now then what?
About the cinematic quality: well this movie seems to have been made for television, since this dvd shows the movie in 4:3, that's not necessarily bad, but the sound ain't that great either, imagine you're hearing the sounds inside a barrel, that's how it sounds now and then. However, when the scenes from other nations appear, you hear their own languages, which is always more realistic.
On a scale of 5 stars, I would give it 3. One for picking up an authentic story, one for the fact that it is a German movie and one for just being slightly better than "U-571" :)

stabiz
02-14-08, 09:02 PM

These are very good, I have to dig them out of all my debris and have a second watching.

Rhodes
02-15-08, 11:28 AM
On a scale of 5 stars, I would give it 3. One for picking up an authentic story, one for the fact that it is a German movie and one for just being slightly better than "U-571" :)

My question about this, anything slightly better than U-571,for me is worth having and watching! Thank You:up:

Carotio
02-20-08, 07:00 PM

This is indeed "U-Boot Krieg im Atlantik 1939-1945", I'm pretty sure, since this one-dvd features three episodes. I can only recommend it! 5 out of 5 stars :up:

"Die Geschichte der deutschen U-Boot-Waffe, 1914-1945" consists of two dvds, the first is with real films made on uboats and the second is interviews with 5 German Kaleuns of WW2: Hardegen, Topp, Kretschmer and two more, whose names I have forgot right now. It's pretty good: 4 out of 5 stars.

"U-Boote in See" was a minor dissapointment. It have some authentic films, but the main film was shorter than expected after seeing the length time at the cover. However it contains also some films without sound, which is okay, but a little boring to watch. At least, they could have put some music on... It also has a little encyclopedia, which is best watched at the dvd drive in the pc and not at the telly. 3 out of 5 stars.