PDA

View Full Version : Transfer or not to transfer...

DavyJonesFootlocker
02-12-08, 09:32 AM
..that is the question.

I got the option of getting a new boat but end up at Pearl which I don't really want as I'm playing a mirror career in another install in Pearl. So, if I decide to stay with my Porpoise-class boat will I get to command a new type of sub eventually or get stuck with the Porpoise?

tomoose
02-12-08, 10:55 AM
I haven't been offered a new boat yet (using TM and RSRD) but did get offered to leave my command and become an instructor at the training school. I refused and continued my command but inexplicably lost HUGE renown points (renown = -300)!! Needless to say that ticked me off.

I'd stick with your original boat and crew if you're having success unless a new boat is coming with dramatic performance improvements. Actually that raises a point, you don't see what your new boat is until you accept the assignment! D'oh!!
:up:

maerean_m
02-13-08, 12:02 AM
I haven't been offered a new boat yet (using TM and RSRD) but did get offered to leave my command and become an instructor at the training school. I refused and continued my command but inexplicably lost HUGE renown points (renown = -300)!! Needless to say that ticked me off.Navy needs its heroes alive as a knowledge base for rookies and for the propaganda. So, by going back to sea they risk loosing all that, so you need to use your connections to get out of that safe instructor job.

Torplexed
02-13-08, 06:26 AM
I haven't been offered a new boat yet (using TM and RSRD) but did get offered to leave my command and become an instructor at the training school. I refused and continued my command but inexplicably lost HUGE renown points (renown = -300)!! Needless to say that ticked me off.Navy needs its heroes alive as a knowledge base for rookies and for the propaganda. So, by going back to sea they risk loosing all that, so you need to use your connections to get out of that safe instructor job.
I kinda like that. The game reminds you that you're part of a Navy and an overall war effort, and you gotta deal with the brass. Not just a free agent or a privateer out gathering renown booty.

tomoose
02-13-08, 07:43 AM
....the renown should have nothing to do with it. That's tantamount to telling a skipper "we're pissed that you've decided to continue fighting the war so we won't give you these new toys to do the job better. We'd rather you risk you and your crews lives with the existing kit. Have a nice day."

I totally understand the rationale behind transferring experience to schools but the option vs the renown aspect, IMHO, just doesn't jibe. In this case there should be no "choice" but rather "thanks for your work skipper, you're done with combat, you're going to the school." Period! End of career with an appropriate splash screen. Orders is orders etc ad naus. THAT I could completely understand but the current method/option just makes it illogical.
:shifty:

Rockin Robbins
02-13-08, 08:07 AM
....the renown should have nothing to do with it. That's tantamount to telling a skipper "we're pissed that you've decided to continue fighting the war so we won't give you these new toys to do the job better. We'd rather you risk you and your crews lives with the existing kit. Have a nice day."

I totally understand the rationale behind transferring experience to schools but the option vs the renown aspect, IMHO, just doesn't jibe. In this case there should be no "choice" but rather "thanks for your work skipper, you're done with combat, you're going to the school." Period! End of career with an appropriate splash screen. Orders is orders etc ad naus. THAT I could completely understand but the current method/option just makes it illogical.
:shifty:
Instead of "renown" think of it as "political capital." That's a loose assemblage of favors owed by those who have your career in their hands. Once the favor is paid, the debt is gone, your renown or political capital is reduced until you can establish again that "they owe you" by doing them another favor, pulling their cookies out of the fire, producing another rabbit out of the hat or doing some fancy juggling for their benefit. Then your renown or political capital goes back up again.

In all life you have two choices: you owe them or they owe you. Better they owe you!:up: Want a pest to stay away? Lend him $20. Case solved.:rock:

tomoose
02-13-08, 10:49 AM
RR;
I know what you're driving at. I just don't agree with the grossly imbalance penalty for deciding to continue a career. Career-wise turning down an offer from the Brass is generally never a good idea and would definitely have career implications, I don't disagree with that aspect. It's the impact on your fighting ability I have a problem with.

i.e.
BRASS "Captain, you've done a remarkable job so far, we think that you'll better serve the war effort by teaching new sub drivers and passing on your experience."
SKIPPER "Thanks, sir. I really appreciate that opportunity but I would much prefer staying with my boat and crew."
BRASS (frowning) "Captain, that's not the answer I wanted to hear. You realize this can affect your career and your position on the promotion list?"
SKIPPER "Understood sir, I'm willing to take that hit, I just want to get back into the war!"

BRASS (reaction in RL) "I don't like it but I can understand your rationale. We may order you to the school if we don't find someone else. For now you can stay with your boat. At least you'll be able to take advantage of the new XXXYYY that's being installed on all the subs."

BRASS (reaction in game) "******** you you ungrateful SOB. You wanna go play skipper some more well we're taking our ball and going home. You won't get any extras for your boat! WAAAAAH!";) :lol:

OK, I'm exaggerating my point but it's good for a chuckle.

Rip
02-13-08, 12:18 PM
RR;
I know what you're driving at. I just don't agree with the grossly imbalance penalty for deciding to continue a career. Career-wise turning down an offer from the Brass is generally never a good idea and would definitely have career implications, I don't disagree with that aspect. It's the impact on your fighting ability I have a problem with.

i.e.
BRASS "Captain, you've done a remarkable job so far, we think that you'll better serve the war effort by teaching new sub drivers and passing on your experience."
SKIPPER "Thanks, sir. I really appreciate that opportunity but I would much prefer staying with my boat and crew."
BRASS (frowning) "Captain, that's not the answer I wanted to hear. You realize this can affect your career and your position on the promotion list?"
SKIPPER "Understood sir, I'm willing to take that hit, I just want to get back into the war!"

BRASS (reaction in RL) "I don't like it but I can understand your rationale. We may order you to the school if we don't find someone else. For now you can stay with your boat. At least you'll be able to take advantage of the new XXXYYY that's being installed on all the subs."

BRASS (reaction in game) "******** you you ungrateful SOB. You wanna go play skipper some more well we're taking our ball and going home. You won't get any extras for your boat! WAAAAAH!";) :lol:

I agree, just like any person making input to effect future assignments. I they like/owe you they may give you what you want. There is seldom animosity as a result of your request, although you are less likely to get as many additional special considerations. IRL

Schlippittz
02-13-08, 12:21 PM
Hmmm. This makes me wonder. In my first patrol, I brought home a boat that was so beat up, she couldn't be salvaged. They gave me an option to resign or accept a new command. I didn't even think to look and see if I lost renown for choosing to stick with the program. :hmm:

tedhealy
02-13-08, 01:01 PM
RR;

i.e.

To me, it's more like you were ordered back to the home front to train new skippers by command. You then use your connections to go way over the head of your superiors to stay in the fight. I can understand how you wouldn't exactly be at the top of the list for new toys after that. The brass isn't exactly asking you to do them a favor to train new skippers, they are giving you an order that you get out of due to political maneuvers. Kinda sinks the political value of your superiors which they are going to take out on you.

Rockin Robbins
02-13-08, 01:36 PM
BRASS (reaction in game) "******** you you ungrateful SOB. You wanna go play skipper some more well we're taking our ball and going home. You won't get any extras for your boat! WAAAAAH!";) :lol: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

The only problem is that's exactly what happens much of the time in RL.

rrmelend
02-13-08, 03:34 PM
I haven't been offered a new boat yet (using TM and RSRD) but did get offered to leave my command and become an instructor at the training school. I refused and continued my command but inexplicably lost HUGE renown points (renown = -300)!! Needless to say that ticked me off.

Be thankful that they gave you the option. How often do you think real skippers got a choice?

tomoose
02-13-08, 07:38 PM
RR;
well, the squids are a picky bunch.

rrmelend;
that's kinda my point, usually you wouldn't have a choice so why does the game allow a choice in the first place and then penalize you. Perhaps a mod to change that particular scene to "Congratulations, your performance has been noticed by the brass and you are hereby transferred to sub school as an instructor. Your orders to proceed stateside have been cut. Good Luck..............End of current career.
Start a New Career?
Return to Main Menu."

DavyJonesFootlocker
02-14-08, 11:29 AM
The Brass don't know squat! They send me on a mission without torps. Whaddya want me to do Paisan? Throw empty cans of Campbell's Cream of Leftover soup at them? I hate taking the transfer. Pearl Harbor missions are too long too get to. The Gato looks cool though.:yep:

kylesplanet
02-14-08, 11:38 AM
RR;
well, the squids are a picky bunch.

rrmelend;
that's kinda my point, usually you wouldn't have a choice so why does the game allow a choice in the first place and then penalize you. Perhaps a mod to change that particular scene to "Congratulations, your performance has been noticed by the brass and you are hereby transferred to sub school as an instructor. Your orders to proceed stateside have been cut. Good Luck..............End of current career.
Start a New Career?
Return to Main Menu."

Before patch 1.3, you were forced to retire and everyone on here (including me) complained about it so it was changed in the patch. One thing to note, I've never been offered a desk job but I always complete all my objectives. I don't know whether or not that has anything to do with it, just a thought.:hmm:

Chardok
02-14-08, 11:55 AM
Last night I was playing while fair knackered, and pretty much decimated a port (I seem to aim torps better while drunk. I dunno...loose fingers on the controls, I s'pose,) but it happened to be the only mission I EVER did that I didn't bring back my rig looking like The Millenium Falcon after Endor...the brass were so pleased that they offered me a shiny new boat. I must've missed the part about getting transferred to Pearl, and in a drunken haze my brain was capable only of recognizing "NEW BOATLOLWIN!" So I clicked and...

SON OF A - I'm like a trillion miles from the war! FRACK!

So here's Lt. Cmdr Fartface, who has a habit of bringing subs back in such poor shape that the navy doesn't even TRY to fix it...but, the ONE time he brings a sub back the way he SHOULD have been doing the whole time, we're going to give him a brand new, state-of-the-art Rig complete with a coffeemaker in the captain's quarters.

I don't understand the logic.

But seeing you losing renown for something so seemingly trivial....

HEY - I don't think Will Riker ever got in trouble for turning down a command.