PDA

View Full Version : Greatest US President in the Past 100 Years

Stealth Hunter
02-11-08, 03:40 AM
I vote for Franklin D. Roosevelt. Very honorable and decent man, not to mention a fine speaker and exceptional tactician. He brought us out of the Depression and through more than 3/4's of World War II before his untimely death in April 1945.

nikimcbee
02-11-08, 04:19 AM
I vote for Franklin D. Roosevelt. Very honorable and decent man, not to mention a fine speaker and exceptional tactician. He brought us out of the Depression and through more than 3/4's of World War II before his untimely death in April 1945.

I totally disagree with you on this one, but I don't like FDR anyway. I agree with you though on his speaking abilities, but his policies:down: .

I'd vote for Reagan, and maybe Teddy. That's just Bully.:yep:

Torplexed
02-11-08, 07:19 AM
Seems like we had a thread like this not too long ago....

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125531

sonar732
02-11-08, 07:34 AM
The ability to determine the best presidents will be hard because of the policies and their ability to bring the country together. This isn't so much in order, but as examples. Here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_United_States_Presidents) is a good article in the english wiki with various polls that have been sanctioned on the subject....for all of those naysayers about Bush...look at the position of GW and Bill. ;)

FDR-had the ability to tell america to stick with it during the depression, but fights abound regarding policy.
Reagan-brought national pride to the country after the gloomy 70's, but his policies also show something to be determined.
JFK-The drive to the moon and the ability to flex muscles with the Russians are perfect examples here, but the congress and him didn't get along too well.
Lincoln-His election solidified the breakup of the union that was brewing for years, but his understanding of politics with cabinet members to gain friends for the future policies and how timing of policies were everything...note my input for the Emancipation Proclamation in another thread places him probably at #1.
Teddy was the same....his anti-union and also anti-monopoly policies created a rift, but the conservation, peace talks between russia and japan, and military policies make up for it.

Officerpuppy
02-11-08, 10:45 AM
Andrew Jackson :rotfl:
Actually I'm not sure :hmm:

FIREWALL
02-11-08, 12:02 PM
Alfred E. Neuman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman

geetrue
02-11-08, 12:51 PM
President Ronald Reagan, the fortieth President of the United States (1981-1989).

Iceman
02-11-08, 02:22 PM
Lincoln-His election solidified the breakup of the union that was brewing for years, but his understanding of politics with cabinet members to gain friends for the future policies and how timing of policies were everything...note my input for the Emancipation Proclamation in another thread places him probably at #1.

:up:

Sailor Steve
02-11-08, 02:42 PM
Since 1908? Steven Grover Cleveland: so great they elected him twice!

Of course they kicked him out just so they could bring him back.

"Maw! Maw! Where's my paw?" "Gone to the White House! Haw! Haw! Haw!"

Of course there was Hoover. Of course he was the greatest; that's why they fired him.

CCIP
02-11-08, 02:46 PM
I don't think America would ever turn to being the active world superpower if it weren't for FDR. Whether that's a good or bad thing is a matter of perspective of course.

JSLTIGER
02-11-08, 03:04 PM
I don't think America would ever turn to being the active world superpower if it weren't for FDR. Whether that's a good or bad thing is a matter of perspective of course.

World superpower, probably not...regional superpowers in the Americas, definitely...we'd already been imposing our will on the American continents since Teddy Roosevelt.

Stealth Hunter
02-11-08, 04:59 PM
[quote=Stealth Hunter]I'd vote for Reagan, and maybe Teddy. That's just Bully.:yep:

Oh god no. Reagan was an actor who... well, acted with Capitol Hill as his stage. His policies were daft and definitely not nearly as competent at managing the country as FDR's were, and he got more credit than he deserved for the fall of the Berlin Wall (the people of Berlin tore the wall down, not Reagen; he didn't show up to remove the 4-decade old thing with his bare hands; it was the people with their courage, hands, tools, and hearts that tore it down and ended the division.

The only reason why FDR is controversial is because he was a Democrat, and the Republicans just LOVE to attack Democrats as much as possible (although the Democrats are just slightly better at restraining themselves from sulking to such a low level).

baggygreen
02-11-08, 06:34 PM
Should i throw a cat amongst the pidgeons and say GWB??:hmm: naaaaaaaaa

Reagan did well, but yes he was an actor. FDR again was good, very good in fact - but i think there were flaws in the way he managed things pre-war.

Woodrow Wilson?? strong leader, had a lot to do with shaping the rest of the 20th century... he's right up there for mine. dont think he has the lagacy he deserves.

then theres JFK. nice, well liked man, hes actually got my vote. his dealings with the soviets were impressive as a rule, he used his brain. missile crisis anyone? but not just there. im not 100% on his local policies like i am with some of the others, but from what little i know its all good.

Skybird
02-11-08, 06:47 PM
I am wondering a bit that nobody mentions Eisenhower. Popualr with democrats and republicans, needed to be pushed into politics for he did not see himself as a politician and did not wish to become president, acting as a moderate conservative who also followed democrat's thoughts. Tougher stand on military issues and knowing this very important and dominant aspect of america so damn well himself: the military, and knowing the risks for america that came from this dominant position of the military in america better than any other president since this question became valid with WWII. No NASA without him. And having been a very determined enemy against the Nazis. Admitted, he had his mistakes, too, especially with foreign politics. But almost all presidents had their failures in this regard, and many of them much more damaging than Eisenhower.

I read that only few presidents became so popular durign their reign, like eisenhower.

Kennedy: massively overestimated.

Reagan: a blender of emotions. Ruthless, and sentimental at the same time. But his emotions always appeared artifical to me - like an (bad) actor. In the movies i saw him in, he really was a mediocre actor at best indeed.

Carter: a strange mixture of realism and naivety, trapped between conscience and reality. I really think amercia should realize that it owes his reputation much more than just the cheap jokes his names usually trigger. All in all I see him much better than most people do. the Republican-Iran-deal that brought him down over the hostage crisis, once again showed the ruthlessness of Republican powerpolitics with it's many major scandals that simply outclasses democrats's records in these regards.

JSLTIGER
02-11-08, 06:55 PM
I am wondering a bit that nobody mentions Eisenhower. Popualr with democrats and republicans, needed to be pushed into politics for he did not see himself as a politician and did not wish to become president, acting as a moderate conservative who also followed democrat's thoughts. Tougher stand on military issues and knowing this very important and dominant aspect of america so damn well himself: the military, and knowing the risks for america that came from this dominant position of the military in america better than any other president since this question became valid with WWII. No NASA without him. And having been a very determined enemy against the Nazis. Admitted, he had his mistakes, too, especially with foreign politics. But almost all presidents had their failures in this regard, and many of them much more damaging than Eisenhower.

I read that only few presidents became so popular durign their reign, like eisenhower.
Few presidents oversaw such a period of substantial economic growth like Eisenhower...the question regarding "Ike" is not whether he was popular or not, but whether that popularity stemmed from his policies or the economic prosperity of that period.

Jimbuna
02-12-08, 08:06 AM
I'd have thought in the eyes of us Brits, it could well be FDR :hmm:

Mush Martin
02-12-08, 08:31 AM

Kennedy: massively overestimated.

Reagan: a blender of emotions. Ruthless, and sentimental at the same time. But his emotions always appeared artifical to me - like an (bad) actor. In the movies i saw him in, he really was a mediocre actor at best indeed.

Carter: a strange mixture of realism and naivety, trapped between conscience and reality. I really think amercia should realize that it owes his reputation much more than just the cheap jokes his names usually trigger. All in all I see him much better than most people do. the Republican-Iran-deal that brought him down over the hostage crisis, once again showed the ruthlessness of Republican powerpolitics with it's many major scandals that simply outclasses democrats's records in these regards.

Carter might be more correctly said to be the shiningest example of
an ex president.

My vote goes to FDR.

JSLTIGER
02-12-08, 08:54 AM
Personally, I think Carter's a bit too much like what he farmed...NUTS!!!