PDA

View Full Version : I'm so pissed off I could SCREAM right now!

Subnuts
02-10-08, 12:27 PM
Just thought I'd vent.

I just spent two hours doing a 1,200 word writeup on Peter Smith's Midway : Dauntless Victory, which I'd received a review copy of back in early January. I do all my finishing touches, fix my spelling errors, and basically make the review look all nice and pretty for when Neal sees it. So, I click "submit", and...well, sometime during those two hours, the forum decided to log me out, leaving me unable to access the subsim crew forum, with the forum giving me a "don't go there!" message, because I'm not logged in anymore. Now, if I'd just copied and pasted the entire review before hitting "submit", I'd have a back up plan. But NO! I copied and pasted the entire review into Word, did a spell check, and closed Word without saving my review! And being an idiot, I had nothing to fall back on, except the last word I'd spell checked! This is why you should ALWAYS write your long posts in some kind of word processing program FIRST, people! Now it's all back to square one again...:damn:

elite_hunter_sh3
02-10-08, 12:33 PM
hehe,, happened to me too :damn::arrgh!:

kiwi_2005
02-10-08, 12:42 PM
:damn: I was going to say try using a recovery program or demo even like win-undelete but you never saved it then accidently delete it so i dont think it would work.

STEED
02-10-08, 12:43 PM
RULE NO.1

BACK IT ALL UP. :yep:

PS: We're all been there, crud. :damn:

JSLTIGER
02-10-08, 01:22 PM
Been there, done that...:damn:

Kapitan_Phillips
02-10-08, 02:18 PM

Same here. Lost three chapters of a novel I was writing. :shifty:

STEED
02-10-08, 02:20 PM

Same here. Lost three chapters of a novel I was writing. :shifty:

Are fecking feck we got another Brag in the making, we're doomed. :damn:

Tchocky
02-10-08, 02:57 PM
Sometimes AutoComplete (or somesuch feature) will keep stuff for you. Just hammer the back button until you either find it or your tears short out the keyboard :)

Skybird
02-10-08, 03:02 PM
What Tchocky said. Check if Word hasn't already made some backup copy, the index for such a document would be .bck, or something like that (anybody correct me if i'm giving the wrong index, i am not sure).

Tchocky
02-10-08, 03:14 PM
Check the Temp folder!

Peto
02-10-08, 05:10 PM
A painfull experience that most of us can empathize with to be sure... It definitely falls into the "that sucks" category :nope:.

I had a customer bring me her computer one day because she couldn't get to a document she had been working on for a few months. No backup or hard copys either. Total hard drive crash. The document she had lost? Her doctorate thesis :doh:. We sent the drive to Drive Savers and for $1600 she was able to get about half of it back--in fragments. She was happy to get what she did though.

She now backs up her work a little more zealously.

bookworm_020
02-10-08, 05:24 PM
Been there, Done that, have the dents on my desk to prove it!:damn:

geetrue
02-10-08, 07:08 PM
Whenever this happens to me ... it usually turns out better the second time.

Good luck :yep:

Brag
02-10-08, 07:45 PM
A virus ate one of my novels, all 114,000 words. Best thing that ever happened to me. I rewrote the thing and it came out soooo much better than the original.

Subnuts
02-10-08, 08:24 PM
A virus ate one of my novels, all 114,000 words. Best thing that ever happened to me. I rewrote the thing and it came out soooo much better than the original.

The same thing just happened with my Dauntless Victory review! :rotfl:

Blacklight
02-10-08, 09:02 PM
Back in the mid 80's, I had written a novel for my Creative Writing class and of course being a stuped teen, didn't back the sucker up and the hard drive blew. I still remember that it was 374 pages. :damn:
I also lost a good 150+ pages of poetry and song lyrics.:damn: :damn:

I ended up having to rewrite the whole novel from scratch again (Lucky I had a binder with the bible for the story at the time). I don't know whatever happened to that book. I submitted it and then let it drop into obscurity on floppy disks. The floppies HAVE to be gone by now. I STILL do have the bible for the book. I should rewrite it.

Lesson learned. Back it up.. back it up often... and back it up onto multiple types of media.

Stealth Hunter
02-10-08, 09:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy00KL_4ZKk

There ya go, SubNuts.

TteFAboB
02-11-08, 03:45 AM
Word 2003 and 2007 have an auto-backup feature that you can set to save your work every X mins. Then, if anything bad ever happens, you can go to the auto-recovery thingie and load the last back-up.

In Word 2003 go to Tools, Options, Save and check the relevant boxes.

I rarely use Word 2007 so I don't know where to go in that one.

JSLTIGER
02-11-08, 08:56 AM
Word 2003 and 2007 have an auto-backup feature that you can set to save your work every X mins. Then, if anything bad ever happens, you can go to the auto-recovery thingie and load the last back-up.

In Word 2003 go to Tools, Options, Save and check the relevant boxes.

I rarely use Word 2007 so I don't know where to go in that one.

Assuming your HDD crapping out isn't what locked you up in the first place...

Yahoshua
02-11-08, 02:01 PM
You have my sympathies.

How did the re-write come out?