PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion

Kapitan_Phillips
02-07-08, 11:42 AM
I decided I'd give this game a whirl due to good reviews from a couple of folks here, and I have to say.. WOW.

I'm now obsessed!!

So, Oblivion players, what are you playing as, and which guilds are you in?

I'm playing as a Nord whom I have customised to look vaguely like me, and I'm an honorary member of the Blades. I've killed the messenger to the Dark Brotherhood (scumbag) and rescued Martin (SEAN BEAN!), and now flaunt the rather nice armour and sword of the Imperial bodyguards :D

ReallyDedPoet
02-07-08, 01:21 PM
Remember seeing some screens of this game awhile ago, looks like a good one :yep:

RDP

ajrimmer42
02-07-08, 02:23 PM
I've had it for while and yep - it's very good. Unfortunately I've reformatted my PC since, and my mate has the disk :-?. I think I used to play as a Breton Knight called Severus. You seen any of the mods for it? Some are pretty good. 10 of the best mods: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?id=41&view=Articles.Detail (http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?id=41&view=Articles.Detail)
btw: Sean Bean rocks!!! He's from Sheffield!!!! yay

Dowly
02-07-08, 02:28 PM
Why use the top ten list to download tons of little mods when there's supermods that add loads of tons with one install. ;) Back when I used to play I used a mod called Obscure's Oblivion Overhaul and liked it alot. :up:

Syxx_Killer
02-07-08, 03:53 PM
Oblivion is probably one of my alltime favorite games. I have the PC version with Shivering Isles and all the DLCs. I have a couple mods, but not too many. I have probably spent too much time on the game, but it is sure fun. In my time with the game I have created numerous new characters, but these are the ones I have so far:

Name: Messianus (my first character)
Race: Imperial
Sign: The Warrior
Class: Knight
Level: 35

Name: Tyroni Matius
Sign: The Warrior (I think, I can't remember)
Class: Pirate (custom)
Level: 12

Name: Agaron
Race: Wood Elf
Sign: The Shadow
Class: Assassin (custom settings)
Level: 14

Name: Dandre Thetric
Race: Breton
Sign: The Apprentice
Class: Mage
Level: 4

Name: Ma'Dato
Race: Khajiit
Sign: The Thief
Class: Cat Burglar (custom)
Level: 5

Name: Antoni Vantinius
Sign: The Warrior
Class: Knight
Level: 21

I'd like to start an Argonian character, but everytime I do I don't know what sign or class to give him. :damn:

Skybird
02-07-08, 05:18 PM
Did one turn, fulfilling the main quest.

Started a second turn with new character, ignoring the main quest, and just doing what I want, playing it like others play "Second Life", and creating a virtual existence where I occasionally make holidays.

One of the very best games I have ever played, I love it a lot - and so much beauty in it that still makes me drop my mouth open. Different to some, I do not become tired or boreed by it. Seeing old places again that I already know, un fact makes me sentimental and makes me remembering the good old times :lol:

Shivering isles, and some mods in use here.

spork542
02-09-08, 09:00 PM
I've played this game for a while now. The graphics are incredible. It's just not one of those games that ever seems to get boring, either. Every time I finish a quest, it seems I get 3 more where that came from.

Imperial Assassin - Level 21 (No longer play that character because of different mods)
Nord Assassin - Level 9 (Current character)
Redguard Warrior - Level 13 (Current character)
Wood Elf Alchemist/Hunter - Level 8 (Current character)
Breton Mage - Level 15 (Haven't played this character in a while)
Argonian Mage/Assassin - Level 20 (Outdated mods)

Dowly
02-09-08, 09:52 PM
I've played this game for a while now. The graphics are incredible. It's just not one of those games that ever seems to get boring, either.

Haha, tell me about it! I love just stroll around the woods. And usually if there's a mountain nearby when it gets dark, I climb up to watch the moon and the surrounding cities, lakes etc. ;)

Kapitan_Phillips
02-11-08, 06:49 AM
I loved having the freedom to slice that Dark Brotherhood guy to shreds. Usually, you'd have to join his guild, work your way up, and have a duel - but the great thing about this game is, if you have the opportunity to do something, you can do it.

I also robbed a weapons store :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:That suprised me ALOT.

XLjedi
02-11-08, 09:12 AM
I haven't played that one...

But I do appreciate it when folks here post opinions on what are good/bad games. :up:

I find that my tastes are similar to the community, so I might have to give this Oblivion game a shot the next time I hit that gaming lull zone.

Syxx_Killer
02-11-08, 10:37 AM
I love playing the thief lifestyle. With my level 12 pirate, I went around at night robbing different shops. I hit The Best Defense and Slash & Smash. I never did like Vanardo so I didn't feel bad taking all his steel and iron. Maro Rufus never really annoyed me, but I still took his stuff. After hitting the Best Defense, I hit Slash & Smash. Just to leave my calling card, I went and pick pocketed their armor off them while they slept. Now they
they man the storefront in whatever they sleep in. It is funny. I also took some stuff from A Fighting Chance, but when I went to rob the shopkeeper, she has a dog in her private quarters. I don't like killing dogs, especially when they just defend their master. I let the pooch live (he even has a dog house) and went to rob that annoying Nord shopkeeper at Iron & Steel (or whatever the name is) in Skingrad. :lol:

Edit:

If you ever want a name for a character but can't think of one use this site:

http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/index.php?p=modding_data%2Fngen&race=KHAJIIT&gender=male&count=10

That is where I get most of my names. I didn't get Messianus from there, though. I actually thought of that one. :p Some of the names I use are combinations of different ones that site generates.

Biggles
02-11-08, 11:08 AM
Oblivion is a good game, no doubt, even great, but I think that the Oblivion Portal thingys that pops up everywhere, are rather dull...

Syxx_Killer
02-11-08, 11:35 AM
I've made a lot of money off those gates. They're not so bad anymore now that my card supports HDR lighting. :lol: Depending on what character I am messing around with, I usually just ignore the gates.

Dowly
02-11-08, 12:08 PM
I love playing the thief lifestyle. With my level 12 pirate, I went around at night robbing different shops. I hit The Best Defense and Slash & Smash. I never did like Vanardo so I didn't feel bad taking all his steel and iron. Maro Rufus never really annoyed me, but I still took his stuff. After hitting the Best Defense, I hit Slash & Smash. Just to leave my calling card, I went and pick pocketed their armor off them while they slept. Now they
they man the storefront in whatever they sleep in. It is funny. I also took some stuff from A Fighting Chance, but when I went to rob the shopkeeper, she has a dog in her private quarters. I don't like killing dogs, especially when they just defend their master. I let the pooch live (he even has a dog house) and went to rob that annoying Nord shopkeeper at Iron & Steel (or whatever the name is) in Skingrad. :lol:

I think I never robbed a weap store. Usually just the jewelery stores. :yep:

Nuoz
02-11-08, 01:10 PM
If you loved Oblivion you must have never played Fallout or Baldur's gate. That are truely great games. Oblivion is still an ok game but the fact your quests rarely require you to use a brain cell really ruins it for me. Go here, go there, steal this, kill that, recover this, all this with a waypoint pointing directly where you have to go, making it useless to read whatever book which won't improve your skills or even pay much attention to dialogue. On sum, the good: pretty graphics, good AI. The bad: gets old (in my oppinion) you always doing what you are told (with only a couple puzzles worthy of that name in the whole game) , linear main storyline.

Dowly
02-11-08, 01:56 PM
If you loved Oblivion you must have never played Fallout or Baldur's gate. That are truely great games. Oblivion is still an ok game but the fact your quests rarely require you to use a brain cell really ruins it for me. Go here, go there, steal this, kill that, recover this, all this with a waypoint pointing directly where you have to go, making it useless to read whatever book which won't improve your skills or even pay much attention to dialogue. On sum, the good: pretty graphics, good AI. The bad: gets old (in my oppinion) you always doing what you are told (with only a couple puzzles worthy of that name in the whole game) , linear main storyline.

I've played all of the Fallouts, Jagged Alliances etc. but the top down view doesnt give you the feel of being in a living world like it does in Oblivion.

GlobalExplorer
02-12-08, 12:12 PM

I am really glad someone said that because every time I see Oblivion being praised I could puke. Imho Oblivion is one of the dumbest, most dissappointing action-games marketed as an RPG ever. Remember just taking place in a fantasy world doesnt make a game an RPG, it's about imagination, choice and consequence, right. And I hate it because it has done a good deal to kill the RPG genre, those games you mentioned the Fallouts, Ultimas etc.

ReallyDedPoet
02-12-08, 12:19 PM
At the end of the day it is all about choices. If you like it, play it, if not, don't. No harm done either way. Besides one person's garbage is another's treasure :D

RDP

GlobalExplorer
02-12-08, 04:29 PM
Of course.

It's just that if a game like oblivion gets only 10/10 and 100% reviews from the media while the really good ones get <70 something must be wrong. Nowadays these guys are either corrupt or have no balls.

I also make the claim that many fans of oblivion have never played one of the old RPG's and assume (after reading the magazines) that when everyone says it's great it must be great. A lot of initial fanbois over at the Bethesda community have turned into big critics of the game. I guess this comes with experience that there are other, better games.

That's why I don't get tired to say that I think it sucks as an RPG.

Not trying to offend anyone but I think I have made clear why I insist on that.

Dowly
02-12-08, 06:51 PM
Personally, I dont get this comparisation with Fallouts, Baldurs Gates etc. and Oblivion.

Baldurs gate = hack n' slash with RPG elements
Fallout = tactical shooter with RPG elements
Oblivion = FPS hack n' slash with RPG elements

Every one of those games shines on some areas over others.

And as for the reviews, tons of big PC game magazines/sites are a**kissers and games like Halo 3 get 100000000000/10 points just because the hype and to please the devs.

To me, like said before, Oblivion is more pleasing as I get to see the world from the ground level. Which adds up to the 'being there' feeling, which to me is VERY important in games.

ReallyDedPoet
02-12-08, 08:49 PM
Anyway....
let's get back on topic with this one, as per the theme of the original post.

RDP

d@rk51d3
02-13-08, 01:19 AM
Played through a good portion of it on PC, becoming leader of a few guilds, before lending my discs to a "mate" who then promptly dissapeared.:damn:

Toying with the idea of getting it for my PS3. As Skybird said, it's nice to go back for a casual stroll now and then.:yep:

NeonSamurai
02-13-08, 12:41 PM
I also make the claim that many fans of oblivion have never played one of the old RPG's and assume (after reading the magazines) that when everyone says it's great it must be great. A lot of initial fanbois over at the Bethesda community have turned into big critics of the game. I guess this comes with experience that there are other, better games.

Just wanted to comment that I liked Oblivion all in all, and not just for the graphics. I had fun playing it and its a fairly immersive world. That said I am a veterain RPG player, and have played them since the existed for computer games (ive played all the Ultima series games other then the 2 chronicles games, and many many others too), im also a vet PnP RPGer having played most of them (D&D, AD&D, FASA games, Paladium games, etc).

Sure Oblivion could have had more depth, but for a hack n slash its certainly has its fair share of it.

Kapitan_Phillips
02-15-08, 03:40 PM
After completing much of the main quest, my character has now 'retired' and lives life peacefully in the Imperial City, studying books and testing alchemy. That's what I love about this. You can do pretty much whatever you want. Want to kill the Emperor's heir? You can. Want to live a peaceful life in Weynon Priory practising alchemy and studying the history of Morrowind and the world you're in? You can.

This is worse than the Sims. :shifty:

:88)

Skybird
02-15-08, 04:03 PM
Oblivion is a good game, no doubt, even great, but I think that the Oblivion Portal thingys that pops up everywhere, are rather dull...
They ruin the landscape, that's why I started a second match afetr fulfilling the main quest once. If you do not give the talisman to the heir, the main quest story does not continue, and no portals show up.

d@rk51d3
02-15-08, 04:31 PM
They ruin the landscape, that's why I started a second match afetr fulfilling the main quest once. If you do not give the talisman to the heir, the main quest story does not continue, and no portals show up.

Aaaaaahhhhh. :hmm:

Rotary Crewman
02-15-08, 05:19 PM
Oblivion is a good game, no doubt, even great, but I think that the Oblivion Portal thingys that pops up everywhere, are rather dull... They ruin the landscape, that's why I started a second match afetr fulfilling the main quest once. If you do not give the talisman to the heir, the main quest story does not continue, and no portals show up.

That's what I have done on the 360 version. Can't stand going through those Oblivion portals and just doing the same over and over again

The WosMan
02-15-08, 11:33 PM
I highly suggest this for PC players:

http://www.tesnexus.com/

http://www.overclock.net/pc-games/143344-oblivion-modding-faq.html

http://aelius28.googlepages.com/home

These pages contain some brilliant mods and information on which ones to use and how to set them up. It isn't hard to do and it really adds to the game.

Captain Vlad
02-19-08, 11:58 PM
I love Oblivion. Big fan of all the Elder Scrolls games, actually.

Fallout is probably my favorite RPG of all time, but in it's own way, it was conventional. While there was a degree of 'do what you want' in it, it's more linear than one might remember it. Great world, great depth, great game, but the freedom the TES games offer is only hinted at.

I think that's one thing about Oblivion and Morrowind et al that results in unjustified criticism; a lot of people don't like the level of 'whatever the hell you want' the games offer. So much depth in them, but you have to go LOOKING for it rather than having it thrown in your face.

danlisa
02-21-08, 04:10 AM
Oblivion rules!

I have Elder Scrolls & Knights of the Nine expansion pack for the PS3 and I can't put it down.:D

I'm still fairly early on in my new career but have already completed the Knights quest (for which you get the Crusaders Armour & weapons which are the best ingame), Master of the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, I'm Grand Champion of the Arena & already own 5 properties (don't know why, just wanted them):D. I'm only level 5.:rotfl:

FYI, the Portals are a little repetitive but the Sigil Stones you get are the best way to enchant your standard weapons, so they're worth doing.

Dowly
02-21-08, 04:56 AM
Oblivion rules!

I have Elder Scrolls & Knights of the Nine expansion pack for the PS3 and I can't put it down.:D

I'm still fairly early on in my new career but have already completed the Knights quest (for which you get the Crusaders Armour & weapons which are the best ingame), Master of the Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, I'm Grand Champion of the Arena & already own 5 properties (don't know why, just wanted them):D. I'm only level 5.:rotfl:

FYI, the Portals are a little repetitive but the Sigil Stones you get are the best way to enchant your standard weapons, so they're worth doing.

Wow, didnt know you were in to these kind of games. ;) Too bad you cant get all them mods to it. They really spice up the game. :yep:

danlisa
02-21-08, 06:14 AM
Wow, didnt know you were in to these kind of games. ;) Too bad you cant get all them mods to it. They really spice up the game. :yep:

Could prolly find a PC version.:p

But I find it better cruising Tamriel from my sofa. I will search out a PC version though as MODS are good.

Dowly
02-21-08, 07:46 AM
Could prolly find a PC version.:p

But I find it better cruising Tamriel from my sofa. I will search out a PC version though as MODS are good.
Aye, it's definetly worth getting the PC version. :up:

EDIT: Here's the Aelius28's modlist, from which I use tons of. You can get a pretty good idea how moddable and modded the game is. http://aelius28.googlepages.com/home

Zayphod
02-21-08, 02:02 PM
Oblivion rules!

Allow me to second that thought. Mods are what made Morrowind come alive for me as well. There are so many of them that really added a lot to it that it makes getting the PC version worth it.

Before I start Oblivion, I'll be checking for the standard 'must have' mods, i.e, a buyable home (I don't want it 'handed' to me), and will probably get a few mods for a mage-type character (my current one is a mage, BTW).

Mods can make any game better, and that's why I'll be installing a number of them in SH4 when I finally start that one as well. Currently finishing up the 2nd expansion (Bloodmoon), and once done, will start assembly of the new PC for the next generation of fun stuff.

Dowly
02-21-08, 03:22 PM
Right, finally got to reinstall Oblivion and continue my saved game (with tons of new mods. ;)).

Here's the current char, Vivian, a lvl 11 criminal, 122 murders, tons of loot from rich ppls houses. Not in any guilds atm, tho I was in the Dark Brotherhood today, got pissed off at that one daft who gives you hard time because you are new, so went and downloaded the Deadly Reflex mod that adds new combat moves and fatality moves (Decapitation with blade, head smash with a battlehammer etc.) and sneaked behind him with my trusty Elven Dagger and slit his throat... got exiled from the guild. :nope: But the bottom line is, dont feck with her. :yep:

Vivian and her new pet, a white tiger.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/Oblivion2008-02-2122-12-35-32.jpg

He was rude to her.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/Oblivion2008-02-2121-48-11-34.jpg

And this little pirate tried to kill me. :huh:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/Oblivion2008-02-2121-34-41-59.jpg

Oberon
02-21-08, 05:14 PM
Hello Vivian...you have very pretty...gaakakakakkkkk

*gargle*

:dead:

Kapitan_Phillips
02-22-08, 05:24 AM
dont feck with her.

Aw, pleeeeease? :arrgh!::rotfl:

HunterICX
02-22-08, 05:36 AM
dont feck with her.

Ah...a brave knight going for his last Ride :lol:
its all over when you ''SPANK'' her :rotfl:

HunterICX

Dowly
02-22-08, 06:16 AM
dont feck with her.

Ah...a brave knight going for his last Ride :lol:
its all over when you ''SPANK'' her :rotfl:

HunterICX
This what happened to the other Knights:

First we had a party.
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/Dance.jpg

But I think it was abit too much for them. Everyone was dead tired after it (except for that one guy, he had a burnout). WHAAHAHA!!! :arrgh!:
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/DeadTired.jpg

Captain Vlad
02-23-08, 01:01 AM
Hey Dowly, what body/face/hair mods are you using?

Dowly
02-23-08, 06:38 AM
Hey Dowly, what body/face/hair mods are you using?

Ren's Beauty Pack and Exnem's female bodies. The hair is a wig from Apachii's Goddess Store mod for Exnem's bodies.

Dowly
02-23-08, 08:09 AM
Yayyy, I'm a Vampirrrre!
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/Finnish_Ferret/Oblivion2008-02-2315-12-31-78.jpg

Captain Vlad
02-24-08, 03:45 AM
Thanks, Dowly. Was debating which body mod to use when I rerun the game as my redheaded mage chick. Leaning toward Exnem if I can make it not lock the comp up occasionally. All the others seem to work fine.

Syxx_Killer
02-27-08, 11:34 AM
I was in Bruma and decided to talk to Viera Lerus. Seemed like a normal conversation until I noticed the idiot guard behind her with a stupid looking grin. Wonder what he was so happy about? :dead::rotfl:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/Syxx_Killer/StupidGrin.jpg

Dowly
02-27-08, 11:59 AM
ROFL!! :rotfl::rotfl:

You gotta love Oblivion just because of the strange things that happen all the time. Yesterday, there was a small glitch where a sleeping guard didnt have his gear spawn on to him when he caught me stealing from him. Sooo, I ended up running around the CheyWhatsYaCallIt with half-naked guard chasing me. :D

Syxx_Killer
02-27-08, 10:36 PM

You gotta love Oblivion just because of the strange things that happen all the time. Yesterday, there was a small glitch where a sleeping guard didnt have his gear spawn on to him when he caught me stealing from him. Sooo, I ended up running around the CheyWhatsYaCallIt with half-naked guard chasing me. :D
Maybe that guard wanted to... get to know you better. :dead::lol:

Dowly
02-28-08, 09:19 AM

Maybe that guard wanted to... get to know you better. :dead::lol:

Lol, might be. :rotfl:

Kapitan_Phillips
02-28-08, 09:48 AM
Dowly, how is it that in the vast majority of your threads, buttsecks makes an appearance in one form or another? :lol:

Dowly
02-28-08, 09:55 AM
Dowly, how is it that in the vast majority of your threads, buttsecks makes an appearance in one form or another? :lol:
Dont know about the other cases, but in this case, I'm playing a female char, so if the guard wants to have it that way, I put on my G-string that reveal the tattoo up my arse "EXIT ONLY". :rotfl:

Oooor then you all just have a dirty imagination. I aint taking the blame from this one. :D

Syxx_Killer
02-28-08, 10:56 AM
Speaking of funny glitches, this has to do with Bruma again. In preparing for the defense of Bruma, Cheydinhal sent Ulrich Leland (sp?) to help. Everytime I walk by him he says, "I don't know you and I don't care to know you." If I strike up a conversation with him he says, "I know you. You're the Divine Crusader!" :88):lol: (Or something similar.)

Dowly
02-28-08, 10:59 AM
Speaking of funny glitches, this has to do with Bruma again. In preparing for the defense of Bruma, Cheydinhal sent Ulrich Leland (sp?) to help. Everytime I walk by him he says, "I don't know you and I don't care to know you." If I strike up a conversation with him he says, "I know you. You're the Divine Crusader!" :88):lol: (Or something similar.)

Yeh, there's tons of glitches with the conversations. Just read yesterday from a forum that someone had robbed some count of all his rare artifacts, still the count kept ranting about how they take too much space or something like that. ;)

Kapitan_Phillips
02-28-08, 11:39 AM
I remember stealing an apple from a tavern by mistake, and I ended up punching the landlord in the face when he cried "THIEF!" :lol:

Dowly
02-28-08, 01:16 PM
Haha, yeh. Happens to me quite often when I go to a Inn and instead of sitting to a chair, I accidentally pick something up from the table next to it. :p

Shyzar
03-22-08, 03:34 PM
I just reinstalled this game (every time i tried to pick a lock, it Crashed) and started a new character with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.
I love that mod, I die alot more, and my most memorable moment was when I was just outside the Imperial City, and a mountain lion attacked. I had no Chance, so I ran through the wilderness towards the IC while being bittten and clawed, just as I got there I died and my lifeless body fell at the feet of a guard.

I reccomend this mod to anyone (it adds some nice armour andd weapons too).

flyingdane
04-17-08, 02:01 AM
I just reinstalled this game (every time i tried to pick a lock, it Crashed) and started a new character with Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul.
I love that mod, I die alot more, and my most memorable moment was when I was just outside the Imperial City, and a mountain lion attacked. I had no Chance, so I ran through the wilderness towards the IC while being bittten and clawed, just as I got there I died and my lifeless body fell at the feet of a guard.

I reccomend this mod to anyone (it adds some nice armour andd weapons too).

Yahh OOO" is BIG on death, But thats what makes ob so Replayable to me You never Know what to expect. :smug: Awsome stuff.

kiwi_2005
04-18-08, 01:46 PM
I use to be a big fan of single player rpgs Oblivion is one of them, but i can no longer play single player rpgs im more into MMORPGS i prefer running round with real people and questing. Still Oblivion and Morrowind are two of the best singleplayer rpgs out there.

Zayphod
04-22-08, 03:45 PM
I use to be a big fan of single player rpgs Oblivion is one of them, but i can no longer play single player rpgs im more into MMORPGS i prefer running round with real people and questing. Still Oblivion and Morrowind are two of the best singleplayer rpgs out there.

I have to say I've never even tried a multiplayer game before, just never had the time (or the high-speed connection) for it. After seeing the odd stuff going on with those "uber leet" kids, I decided it's just not for me. I'd rather take my time on a game, not having to keep up with the rest of the crowd. But that's just me. ;)

BTW, I'm nearly done with Morrowind, just finishing up the Bloodmoon expansion. Hoping to have the new PC put together so I can play SH 4 and Oblivion.

CaptHawkeye
04-23-08, 05:29 AM
Yeah, Oblivion is nice if you have tolerance for how stupid and absurd it can be after a while. The game pretty much ruins itself after you get to around level 16 because everyone and their dog is running around with Glass and Ebony armor and all have crazy stat effects that basically make all of the player's scaling pointless. :)

I also can't stand the game's poor conception of "size". The Impieral City is a couple of apartment buildings an arena the size of a little leage baseball field. :lol: How about the cavern of undead 10 feet from the city gate that doesn't bother anyone? :lol:

The combat system also annoys me though to be fair it's MUCH better than Morrowind's masochistic and just plain awful system.

Raptor1
04-23-08, 05:31 AM
I was pretty disappointed at the Imperial City's size and a few other minor things, but Oblivion is one of the best games I have ever played, atleast in the last 6 years...

CaptHawkeye
04-23-08, 07:35 AM
I liked Oblivion but it sure as hell isn't going to win any "Best of" awards frome me. Too much that detracts from the gameplay and puts into moments of arms above my head absurdity. Impieral Gaurd maintaining order against Bandits running around with better equipment? Cookie cutter dungeons? How do merchants just KNOW that apple you're carrying around is stolen? If they do, why don't they report it? :)

At least Oblivions combat system wasn't AS retarded as Morrowind's. I can't believe someone on the development team of TES3 thought a "roll to hit" in a first person slasher was a good idea. More D&D holdover nonsense. :)

Which isn't to say that Oblivion's combat system is paticularly endearing either, because the balancing is messed and still ends up fairly derivative. I personally miss spears and crossbows and halberds, but that's a nitpick so I won't hold it against the game.

Zayphod
04-23-08, 01:09 PM
I liked Oblivion but it sure as hell isn't going to win any "Best of" awards frome me. Too much that detracts from the gameplay and puts into moments of arms above my head absurdity. Impieral Gaurd maintaining order against Bandits running around with better equipment? Cookie cutter dungeons? How do merchants just KNOW that apple you're carrying around is stolen? If they do, why don't they report it? :)

At least Oblivions combat system wasn't AS retarded as Morrowind's. I can't believe someone on the development team of TES3 thought a "roll to hit" in a first person slasher was a good idea. More D&D holdover nonsense. :)

Which isn't to say that Oblivion's combat system is paticularly endearing either, because the balancing is messed and still ends up fairly derivative. I personally miss spears and crossbows and halberds, but that's a nitpick so I won't hold it against the game.

I hear you. I'm constantly reading through some of the threads on bethsoft's site, and all I can say is "Thank $DIETY for modders." Modders have fixed so much in Morrowind, and reading through all the mod threads in Oblivion, I know they'll be fixing lots of sins there as well.

I really have to take my hat off to modders, both for Morrowind/Oblivion, and here, since they can really enhance a game 10x over what they originally were.

BTW, I'm nearly done with Morrowind's second expansion pack (Bloodmoon), and after a few loose ends are wrapped up, I'll be retiring Morrowind and build the new PC for Oblivion, The Witcher, and Silent Hunter IV.

Venatore
05-10-08, 02:50 AM
I decided I'd give this game a whirl due to good reviews from a couple of folks here, and I have to say.. WOW.

I've had this game since it came out.....but I've never been able to play it due to my very poor PC specs.

I've currently saved about $2,600 with my target being $6,000 for a pure gaming PC. I also have Gears of War and Assassins Creed which also have never been played by me.

It's so hard to sit down in my PC gaming cockpit to glance left and see these wonderful games just sitting there...... and knowing that I own them:damn: