PDA

View Full Version : U-534's fate decided

Letum
02-06-08, 11:32 AM
:cry:

Has this been posted? I could not find it.
They have started cutting the poor girl up. such a shame. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7230011.stm)

Link#2 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7230098.stm)

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44407000/jpg/_44407584_uboat_gall4.jpg

Why can't they leave her whole and just cut some doors? :cry:

We will never be able to see the ship whole in all her glory again.

joea
02-06-08, 11:34 AM
:damn: :damn: :damn:

Letum
02-06-08, 11:37 AM
You just don't cut things up when there are only 4 left in the world.

I have a standing clock in the room I am in. I intend to preserve it.

Preservation does not mean I am going to cut my clock into bits. :cry:

Fools! :x

antikristuseke
02-06-08, 11:38 AM
Son of a bitch:nope:

Tchocky
02-06-08, 11:39 AM
At least it won't be scrapped.

But still :(

Mixed feelings here

Letum
02-06-08, 11:41 AM
In what way is it not being scrapped?

Apart from the melting bit, this fits the scrapped definition quite well.

Tchocky
02-06-08, 11:49 AM
In what way is it not being scrapped?

Apart from the melting bit, this fits the scrapped definition quite well.
Um, in that it will still be viewable by the public, those who want to have a look at a WWII U-boat in England can still do so. The difference is daylight.

Scrapping would involve breaking it up into pieces (I know, I know), then making it into razor blades or hairs straighteners.

Letum
02-06-08, 11:53 AM
Scrapping would involve breaking it up into pieces (I know, I know), then making it into razor blades or hairs straighteners.
Thats what they are doing to parts of it!
You may well be shaving with the lower midships of U-534 in the next few months.

seafarer
02-06-08, 12:28 PM
You may well be shaving with the lower midships of U-534 in the next few months.

:hmm: The article mentions she "will be split into four pieces using a diamond wire cutter". That does not sound like they are tossing anything away or truly scrapping anything. I admit it's a shame to cut her up at all, but it is not like they are tossing large chunks of her into the smelting furnace.

StarFox
02-06-08, 12:42 PM

:hmm: The article mentions she "will be split into four pieces using a diamond wire cutter". That does not sound like they are tossing anything away or truly scrapping anything. I admit it's a shame to cut her up at all, but it is not like they are tossing large chunks of her into the smelting furnace.
I agree, while I would rather she be preserved in one piece, its better then being scrapped. Look at it this way, at least no matter what happens, she will be around in some respect.

Besides, there is always the 505

The warships museum was closed down after nearby warehouses were redeveloped and the land was needed for parking space.

That just pisses me off....

Letum
02-06-08, 12:45 PM

Take a look at the image of the plans. There are big chunks of u-boat missing.

Kapitan_Phillips
02-06-08, 12:46 PM
This is an absolute disgrace. :nope:

Rotary Crewman
02-06-08, 02:05 PM
:hmm: Hmm, a difficult one. On one hand I would LOVE to have seen her in all her glory in one piece. But on the other hand I am going to LOVE going round the inside of a U-boat and trying to imagine what it would have been like.

I think to say its a disgrace is too far. A disgrace would have been to just get rid of her in whatever means necessary.

seafarer
02-06-08, 02:09 PM

Take a look at the image of the plans. There are big chunks of u-boat missing.

What big chunks? I don't accept some artists interpretation of the final memorial layout as a detailed diagram of the hull sections. The Liverpool Echo reported that she's being cut in two in such a manner that "Cuttings were designed with such precision the sub could be reassembled in one piece".

I see nothing in any of the news reports that indicates any part of her is being demolished or tossed in this process.

I'm not defending the cutting up of a rare historic relic, but at the same time, I don't see any indication that your contention that parts are being wholly lost is true either.

Stealth Hunter
02-06-08, 02:13 PM
Shame, but I am somewhat happy that she'll still be on display. Had I of gotten charge of slicing her to bits, I would have sliced her clean down the middle (bow to stern) and then fixed up the interior. Then, I'd put her in a warehouse behind a rail so visitors could still look inside. The final product would look something like this:

http://www.wreckhunter.net/images/uboat-interior.gif

(I'm emphasizing on how one can look inside via the missing starboard hull piece.)

miner1436
02-06-08, 02:37 PM
:nope: Stuipid people, cutting stuff up is wrong.:nope:

Stealth Hunter
02-06-08, 02:48 PM
:nope: Stuipid people, cutting stuff up is wrong.:nope:

That depends on the "stuff"... you're not going to get me to quit cutting my sausages in the morning!:stare: :rotfl:

STEED
02-06-08, 03:09 PM
She was in very poor shape and should had been indoors not out. So they finally cut her up, what a crime. :nope:

Kapitan_Phillips
02-06-08, 03:50 PM
The best way you could possibly learn about the submarine war is to be in the boat just as the guys back then were. Only then could you understand the claustrophobia and the hazards.

This is a pathetic waste of history.

Rotary Crewman
02-06-08, 04:07 PM
You have just managed to contradict yourself. At first you speak as if you like the idea...

The best way you could possibly learn about the submarine war is to be in the boat just as the guys back then were. Only then could you understand the claustrophobia and the hazards.
So, take the rusted U-boat, clean her up, cut her up into pieces that the public can go through and see what it was like.

But then you said this...

:hmm:

Kapitan_Phillips
02-06-08, 04:25 PM
You have just managed to contradict yourself. At first you speak as if you like the idea...

So, take the rusted U-boat, clean her up, cut her up into pieces that the public can go through and see what it was like.

No, leave out the cutting up part, and you've got it. Restore the boat, and have people walk through it and see what it was like all in one piece.

The U-505 did it, so why not this?

Letum
02-06-08, 04:58 PM
We should have higher tax so the government can afford to pay for the propper display and preservation of our history and culture.

STEED
02-06-08, 05:34 PM
We should have higher tax

Do you mind I pay enough thank you. More like they should stop wasting money on red tape and pencil sharpeners.

Stealth Hunter
02-06-08, 06:06 PM

No, leave out the cutting up part, and you've got it. Restore the boat, and have people walk through it and see what it was like all in one piece.

I think it would be easier to chop it in half, also. You can't have a bunch of 80-year old U-boat veterans trying to climb inside such a small tub. It would be easier for them just to walk, shuffle, or roll through it (and slicing it down the center so one could see inside would be just the way to do it). It's easier on the visitors who might have a hard time climbing down a ladder inside a 12-foot wide submarine interior, and it doesn't butcher it that much.

fatty
02-06-08, 06:21 PM

U-505 did not spend 48 years underwater. It was captured intact. As I understand it U-534 is rotting from the inside out; the costs of restoring it to original condition would be highly prohibitive. I feel this is the best solution, given the alternative of putting a rusted hulk on display.

StarFox
02-06-08, 09:11 PM
Thats true.

505 is in far better shape, and even she is in poor shape. they say that her hull is only 1/8th as thick as it used to be, which is why it was moved underground.

and with how she is currently displayed, she will be around for a long time....as long as a plane does not crash into her bunker....but what are the chances of that

Personally, If i had my wish, I would rather have an un modified uboat. Not holes in the side, no removing the bulkheads so people can walk easily. Leave it as it is, make people come in throught the tower, and get a real feel of what uboat life was like. Small, cramped, and no room to breathe.

But thats me, seeing all the disability laws these days, that is not possiable in any way, but it would be nice

Rotary Crewman
02-07-08, 03:42 AM
I think we're sorted for answers now Kapitan Phillips!

Letum, no chance on higher taxes for histroical displays. Imagine trying to convince some of the British public for extra money from them for a German WW2 U-boat. I can already see some of the replies :-?

antikristuseke
02-07-08, 04:24 AM
Bah, history is history and needs to be preserved, wether it is pleasant or not, and to do so I personaly wouldnt mind paying tax for it. I could bring examples of Soviet era architecture that is being torn down here, usualy for valid structural reasons, but some are allso pushing to do so for aesthetic reasons. A year ago I would have been one of them, but since then I have realized that even though those are memorials from a period of our history I do not like, they are parts of our history none the less and therefore need to be preserved for future generations to see and to learn from.

I hope im making sense.:oops:

Rotary Crewman
02-07-08, 04:30 AM
You're making total sense and I completely agree.

However, I think I could be correct in saying that more than half of Britain couldn't care less about U-534 and its fate.

That is the main problem the people in charge of looking after it were probably facing.

XXi
02-07-08, 05:16 AM
On one hand it`s dam n bad idea to cut the Boat into parts. Personally, I`d prefer to have her intacted. However, I presume that after spending so many years in the water, the condition of the Boat was just not good enough to make it so. Therefore, although it pains me to write this, this is good option, at least - better than have her waiting for next few years, just to be scrapped because of the overall bad condition and lack of good idea.

On the other hand - if they decided to cut her into pieces even though the condidion was good enough to restore her and remain uncut then ... :damn:

fatty
02-07-08, 09:39 AM
I'm quite relieved we're getting anything. Those overseeing the project could easily save themselves a whole lot of time, money, and pain and just had U-534 turned into scrap. When you occupy such a niche and less popular interest as we subsimmers do, you gotta take whatever bones they throw you.

Jimbuna
02-07-08, 11:59 AM
Better a few totally refurbished parts as opposed to a few million tin cans. :arrgh!:

StarFox
02-07-08, 02:20 PM
You're making total sense and I completely agree.

However, I think I could be correct in saying that more than half of Britain couldn't care less about U-534 and its fate.

That is the main problem the people in charge of looking after it were probably facing.

That is basicaly the same reason that the "Save the Classic Liners" campaign that I am part of is struggling to preserve the SS Independence and SS United States. I would say that 90% of America either does not care about a 50-55 year old liner, or they dont even know they exist.

Independence is less well know then the Big U is of course, but even considering that the United States was called "The First Lady of the Sea" and "The Flagship of America" once her service was done, everyone forgot she even existed.

And in her current state, and the cost that we believe to restore her as a hotel, is a large sum of money. without public support for restoration efforts on the ship, and donations to help fund that restoration, its like dragging a Ship by hand up a steep hill. Not impossiable, but very very hard.

Independence is a different story, she is in great shape, and her interior is pristine still, so the cost to turn her into a hotel is far less...which is why we were going to use her as a starting point. Then of course the problem becomes investors and donations, a location to berth her, I am thinking Hawaii, San Francisco, and other west coast ports. Then we need some one to buy the ship, and at the same time we are thinking about all this, Star Cruises is trying to illegally export the ship to India.

Just be happy that the 534 will still be around, considering the challenge of preventing a ship from leaving to be scrapped, and the timetable we have to deal with (only one weeks notice) its an uphill battle, and its only going to get worse