PDA

View Full Version : That Sonar Guyand other pressing Q

snwcrsh
01-16-08, 09:24 AM
Hi all!

As you can see, I'm new here. And from what I've read (I skimmed through the first pages of this forum) it seems to be a nice community (not that this should surprise in a forum about a simulation as deep as SH3).

As for why I post, although I'm rather new to SH3 I read quite a lot already and will continue to do so. However there are some things I don't quite understand and maybe one of you guys can help.

Yes, that sonar guy, what's up with him. There is that third option for him (apart from "normal sweep" and "closest target") which is not titled and the SO dude doesnt reply on it either. Is this implemented?

Then I use SetKeys because I really like to use hotkeys for thinks like "Bear to Heading" or "Get Depth under Keel". However, I szumbled over other functions like order the Sonar Guy to perform a ping. Well, the command works but the sonar guy always says there is no target selected. no matter whether there is one selected in the periscope or he has one on the hydrophone.

Speaking of targets, what influences whether the type of ship is displayed in the hydrophone view, I couldnt quite figure it out. Sometimes it says "mercheant", sometimes it says "unknown" and sometimes the sonar guy doesnt seem to hear anything at all (no target displayed) even though i can clearly hear it...

And lastly... I'm slowly rising the realism level, the next step would be to disable that god's eye map. However, a question here: I notice that with the map, the ships are displayed once you are in PD and actually see the ship(s). Naturally. But at the same time the bearing lines from the sonar disappear. Why? It's useful even though you have the ships on the map because you can read the bearing immediately (with these overlay tools for the nav map).

The question here is: Will that happen in "No God's Eye" mode as well?

There might be some more questions, but these so far are the most interesting for me.

any help is appreciated, thx in advance!

snwcrsh

Sigurd
01-16-08, 09:32 AM
Welcome Herr Keleun!

The third option you mention I believe is report on nearest warship contact. It works obviously when you have a warship nearby, so if its not working for you, BE MORE AGGRESSIVE :arrgh!:

Although it should say that there are no contacts if there arent any. If its not, then somethings up with your hydrophone I'd say.

Abd_von_Mumit
01-16-08, 10:52 AM
Welcome aboard, Herr Kaleun. :)

This will answer most your questions - your hydrophone works only when submerged, so your "sonar guy" cannot report anything when on the surface. :)

As to the ships - yes, they should dissapear when "No God's Eye" is ticked.

Sigurd answered correctly about the "third option". Also remember, that your sonar guy will never be as good as you are in hearing things. However his efficiency will grow as time passes. Give him a "sonarman" qualification and he will be much better. Always try to keep the green bar over your sonar room as long as possible - the longer the bar is, the better the efficiency (applies to all other rooms as well).

I'd say do not fear to set your realism to 100% at once. It could be a bit difficult at start, but with the help from community you'll do it. You can find vast amounts of knowledge here, as well as some EXCELLENT, MARVELLOUS, ASTONISHING mods, like GWX. The difference between clean SH3 and SG3+GWX is like the one between pushing your wooden cart and riding your Ferrari. :)

Hanomag
01-16-08, 11:32 AM
Greetings Herr Kaluen!!! :lol:

its a viic
01-16-08, 11:39 AM
Yes definetely try out gwx after playing stock for awhile. Dont forget the latest patch 1.4

von hally
01-16-08, 12:16 PM
Welcome aboard, Herr Kaleun. :)

This will answer most your questions - your hydrophone works only when submerged, so your "sonar guy" cannot report anything when on the surface. :)

As to the ships - yes, they should dissapear when "No God's Eye" is ticked.

Sigurd answered correctly about the "third option". Also remember, that your sonar guy will never be as good as you are in hearing things. However his efficiency will grow as time passes. Give him a "sonarman" qualification and he will be much better. Always try to keep the green bar over your sonar room as long as possible - the longer the bar is, the better the efficiency (applies to all other rooms as well).

I'd say do not fear to set your realism to 100% at once. It could be a bit difficult at start, but with the help from community you'll do it. You can find vast amounts of knowledge here, as well as some EXCELLENT, MARVELLOUS, ASTONISHING mods, like GWX. The difference between clean SH3 and SG3+GWX is like the one between pushing your wooden cart and riding your Ferrari. :)

welcome aboard herr kaleun

good advice from Abd_von_mumit but when he says give your sonarman a "sonerman" qualification i think he means "radioman"...this does the same job in improving both guys in that department

irish1958
01-16-08, 01:07 PM
snwcrsh,
Welcome aboard Kaleum snwcrsh!
You stated you like to read. If so, download the GWX 2.0 and read the 600+ page readme and manual.
Targeting ships is basic trigonometry and vector analysis. Unless you are very good at math, I suggest you keep map contacts and weapon officer help for a while or you will get frustrated and not enjoy the game. With GWX there are amazing ships, effects and game play to enjoy. I would keep the very difficult part of the game for later after you have mastered the other facets of the game.
The Stickies at the top of the SHIII and the SHIII mod pages are also very useful.
"Keep up the good work"

looney
01-16-08, 01:53 PM
Imho reading and understanding this site: http://www.paulwasserman.net/SHIII/ (wazoo's manual targetting and "the hunt" on these forums)

You are able to get over 90% hit rate (not counting duds) with ease.

snwcrsh
01-16-08, 03:44 PM
Thank you all for the welcome and the tips. I wasn't surfaced when the sonar beams disappeared, i only put the periscope out and made visual contact.

However, this is kind of obsolete now; the problem was without GWX but several other mods, might also been have some conbflict. I got a clean reinstall now, including DWX and OLC, I guess I got the taste of it.

As for realism, about the only setting I currently leave on is the god's eye. But this is only because it really takes some time getting used to the Range&AoB finder -- the map serves more as controling mechanism.

Again, thanks for the welcome and Ill hopefully return to report some success.

Cheers

Abd_von_Mumit
01-16-08, 07:51 PM
I see you chose the hard way. Great! That will pay soon. :up: