PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pretty tight - can i stop at heglio?

Antiacus
01-15-08, 03:58 AM
Hi... I'm trying to return my type ii but it's looking like it's going to be awfully tight getting back. Any way i can stop at heglioland for fuel?

Thanks

3Jane
01-15-08, 04:38 AM
You might be able to stop at Willhelmshaven, not sure if friendly ports are handled the same as resupply vessels in the game. I don't think Helgoland it's self works as a resupply point. Depending on how low your fuel is, you might still be able to make it to Kiel ( I presume that is where you are heading). There is a fairly good fuel margine even after you get the diesel has run out message.

Antiacus
01-15-08, 06:59 AM
Thanks... I was able to make it back.

Jimbuna
01-15-08, 07:11 AM
Don't forget, you can still use the electric motors, with or without the fuel (unrealistic I know.....but an option nonethe less)

bookworm_020
01-15-08, 05:04 PM
I think in real live that they had to use electric motors for going in reverse. So it's not all that unrealistic!:up:

danurve
01-15-08, 06:20 PM
I use friendly ports and resupply ships alot. I don't mind the Null grid because usually resupply because I want to return to a particular grid. And not kill 28 days to do it.

There are even ways to alter the torpedo loadout, although getting a mix gives you a challenge. The only thing left is the fuel. You get full tanks. Which imho is a bit unrealistic. So I may find myself setting a higher RPM to eat more fuel on purpose.

Pisces
01-15-08, 07:08 PM
Hmm, how was the fuel situation for the germans in RL '39-'45 anyway. Where did they get their oil from?

Abd_von_Mumit
01-15-08, 07:30 PM
Hmm, how was the fuel situation for the germans in RL '39-'45 anyway. Where did they get their oil from?
I think the main outside source was Romania, but they also exploited any other sources they found, like in Germany, Poland, Russia and so on. The war with Russia and plans to get to Kaukaz was in a large part matter ot getting access to oil fields.

danurve
01-15-08, 07:51 PM
That question would take a bit of history to rightfully explain. But supply ships early on had more reserves, where typicaly cows would fork over enough for patrols or return trips.

Pisces
01-16-08, 09:07 AM
That question would take a bit of history to rightfully explain. But supply ships early on had more reserves, where typicaly cows would fork over enough for patrols or return trips.Yeah I know, and didn't mean to hijack this thread. If only by a bit. My question was more regarding crude oil. I know about the milchcows acting as supply for subs. But that's not going to fuel the whole Kriegsmarine, let alone the rest of the war. So Abd_von_Mumit pretty much answered what I wanted to know, which countries etc. Thanks

seafarer
01-16-08, 09:30 AM
And don't forget synthetic oil production. By 1945, some 50% or more of Germany's oil was from synthetic production (something like 36 million barrels, up from about 10 million barrels only 4-5 years earlier). They had hopes of pushing production to 60 million barrels by 1946, but Allied air power put an end to that dream.

Romania was the single biggest over-land supplier of non-synthetic oil.

Pisces
01-16-08, 10:05 AM
And don't forget synthetic oil production. By 1945, some 50% or more of Germany's oil was from synthetic production (something like 36 million barrels, up from about 10 million barrels only 4-5 years earlier). They had hopes of pushing production to 60 million barrels by 1946, but Allied air power put an end to that dream.

Romania was the single biggest over-land supplier of non-synthetic oil.Wow, I didn't know there was such a thing as synthetic oil for energy production/propulsion etc. Lubrication an so on I knew. I guess I really need to dig into some history books now.

Sniper_Fox
01-16-08, 10:49 AM
do you think kaleuns would force disabled merchants to fork over extra fuel in exchange for food or something?i dont personally think so... but its possible... however unlikely.

like pirates!:arrgh!: yarrrr somebody mod me a pirate ship

Heibges
01-16-08, 06:52 PM
Refueling at sea involved special equipment, and took many hours, so it probably wasn't practical to do at sea with a captured enemy vessel.

Jimbuna
01-17-08, 07:37 AM
You'd be suprised what a few hoses and a pump can achieve :arrgh!:

Sniper_Fox
01-31-08, 04:17 AM
jimbuna have you been syphoning gas again?:nope: loool

Jimbuna
01-31-08, 01:24 PM

No matey....just rum ;)

http://www.abfnet.com/forum/images/smilies/pirate_with_bottle_of_rum_lg_blk.gif

Puster Bill
01-31-08, 07:59 PM
No matey....just rum ;)

Yeah, petroli-rum.

TomcatMVD
01-31-08, 09:08 PM
Were´t they able to get some from their African occupied soils? I think I heard something like that once... I might be totally wong of course!

Jimbuna
02-01-08, 12:25 PM
A lot from Central Europe and Russian oilfields.

Dowly
02-01-08, 01:00 PM
Yup, you can stop there.. just there's no band, that's why I gave the back flank order when I noticed it.:88)

Blacklight
02-01-08, 03:12 PM
I wouldn't go anywhere NEAR Heligoland if it's after early January 1940. Those sneaky Brits dropped mines all around it. :nope: