PDA

View Full Version : Unable to end patrol

Littlealx
01-09-08, 05:28 AM
Hey guys,

I've done 7 patrols, and just been transferred to Brisbane with a new submarine.

Basically i've been out at sea for 8 weeks, had to refit four times, and the objectives keep coming and coming. I've been sent to Tokyo, the solomons twice, 1 photo Recon, and 2 patrols in the bismarck sea. I've never actually done this many in one patrol before and its getting a bit outrageous.

I've tried going back to Brisbane 3 times and it will not allow me the option to end the patrol. (i'm certain it's got the blue anchor symbol)

Has anybody experienced anything similar? usually i just complete a couple of objectives, expend my torpedoes and go home and that works fine... doing six is getting silly. and the amount of diesel fuel... my god.

When will it end!!!??? Do i ever get a message saying "return to base" ???

heeelp! :-?

hyperion2206
01-09-08, 06:07 AM
First of all: If you don't want to get new missions you should stop sending messages to COMSUBPAC.
Then I assume that you're not using the latest patch, because a slanted anchor will show you your homebase. Prior to patch 1.4 every allied port has the same blue anchor.
So now there are several ways to find out which port is your new homeport:
1. Try to dock at other friendly ports
2. Check the CareerTrack.upc file in your SH4 savegame folder
3. Download Billkos Damage Control Analyzer which will not only show your damage but your rank, medals and homeport.
The mode can be found here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121353

I hope I was able to help you.

Powerthighs
01-09-08, 03:05 PM
Also, you never get a "return to base" message. When you complete a mission, if you radio a status report they will send you a new mission. However, if you are low on torpedos or fuel they won't respond at all, which is their way of saying "return to base."

ReallyDedPoet
01-09-08, 03:08 PM
Remember that since 1.4 you see your home base as a slanted anchor on the Nav Map, the rest are straight.

RDP

MichaelW
01-09-08, 03:45 PM
OK I am having this same issue when sent to patrol and area.

Once I get a "Return to Base at your discresction" message, I need to stop sending messages and then return to base? I think I have done this and I get the message that my mission was incomplete????

What exactly does patrol an area mean? How big an area? Is there a specific pattern. I have yet to complete a mission that says patrol an area.

I've done the same thing the original poster said and it still says I did not complete the mission.

I even thought that saving the game might screw up my missions completion but that doesn't seem to be it either.

Give me the photo recon, deploy spies or saving downed pilots any day vs patrol an area.:nope:

-Pv-
01-09-08, 04:04 PM
There has bee siginificant discussion on what "patrol" really means since there is no official documentation for this feature.

The following is based on many people posting high success rates with this technique through trial and error:
1) Draw a 50 mile radius circle centered on the patrol area icon.
2) Cruise around inside this circle for 24 to 72 hours until the icon turns grey AND your orders list (F12) indicates the mission is complete. Note: Patch 1.4 supposedly fixes the mission icon not refreshing to its grey (success) state, but I have found it still fails to update sometimes until you change screens or refresh the map by zooming or scrolling. The Orders screen is more reliable.

Returning to BASE (not just any port) with any incomplete red indicators in the orders list is a nono.
-Pv-

Javelin
01-09-08, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all your replies. However, I've done all that prior to asking for help. According to Damage Control my base is PH. I am using the latest patches too.

Powerthighs
01-09-08, 04:41 PM
What exactly does patrol an area mean? How big an area? Is there a specific pattern. I have yet to complete a mission that says patrol an area.

See this post for the answers...
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=111509

hyperion2206
01-09-08, 05:15 PM
Once I get a "Return to Base at your discresction" message, I need to stop sending messages and then return to base? I think I have done this and I get the message that my mission was incomplete????

I've done the same thing the original poster said and it still says I did not complete the mission.

I even thought that saving the game might screw up my missions completion but that doesn't seem to be it either.

Give me the photo recon, deploy spies or saving downed pilots any day vs patrol an area.:nope:

1. You get the "return to Base" message only if you report a convoy or TF (I think). You don't have to return to base, it's for immersion purpose only.

2. Patrols (binocular icon) means that you have to patrol the area around the icon until it's greyed out. In stock SH4 the diameter around the icon is about 50nm. When you use RSRDC then the radius is 150nm most of the time.

Javelin
01-09-08, 05:33 PM
Thanks again . I found the problem. Somehow during the cruise home to Pearl, I noticed that the slanted icon was located at Midway Island. But the damage control says Pearl, and unknown. Went to Midway and it allowed me to end the mission. First time ever ended a mission at Midway. I like that.

Littlealx
01-10-08, 10:05 PM
Hi again guys.

Thanks for the help, just to explain what had happened,

I was stationed at Brisbane, and my slanted anchor was at brisbane. But without any messages or notificaton at all, comsubpac randomly decided that my home base was fremantle. i don't know when this happened, at a random point the slanted anchor suddenly went to fremantle instead of brisbane. No idea why. Drugs probably. Western Australia is boring.