PDA

View Full Version : Fleet Boat Drawings Online

Gino
01-08-08, 08:39 AM
From the Rontini Forum:

There are now 150 DPI (low resolution) copies of the more interesting drawings recently scanned from the USS Pampanito collections up on their web site:
http://www.maritime.org/drawings/index.htm

The online tour has been updated with 8 new Quicktime VRs, new still photos, more sound and the audio tour is now available as a podcast.
http://www.maritime.org/tour/index.htm

Enjoy!!!

groetjes,

M. Sarsfield
01-08-08, 09:24 AM
When I click on their drawings, I just get a blank place holder. Maybe its my work machine. I'll try from home.

Sailor Steve
01-08-08, 11:33 AM
I see them with no problem, but then I'm at my local university library, so they have top-of-the-line equipment.

Thanks, Gino.

M. Sarsfield
01-08-08, 12:37 PM
It's probably our work server blocking it.

In other news, I asked Neal to set up a Submarine museum/restoration forum here at subsim.com. It would be a place to exchange technical information, repair issues, drawings, pictures, possible spare part "suppliers", upcoming events, etc.

Ducimus
01-08-08, 04:32 PM
Nice drawings! I really like the PDF.

edit:

I was looking at the VR tour, and i have to wonder if the dev's drew up the gato interior from the Pampanito. Not all boats are layed out exactly the same, but the pampanito, is pretty much what we see in game.

M. Sarsfield
01-08-08, 05:11 PM
The Gato that I'm currently in has the ladder 90 degrees out of phase to the Pampanito, but it's one of the early boats (USS Greenling). The Pampanito is a Balao-class and the Batfish has almost the exact same layout and equipment as the Pampanito.

Also, notice how bright the interior of the sub is in real life. I think the sub interior in the game is way too dark. It has too much of a U-boot feel to it.

Gino
01-08-08, 08:03 PM
The Gato that I'm currently in has the ladder 90 degrees out of phase to the Pampanito, but it's one of the early boats (USS Greenling). The Pampanito is a Balao-class and the Batfish has almost the exact same layout and equipment as the Pampanito.

Also, notice how bright the interior of the sub is in real life. I think the sub interior in the game is way too dark. It has too much of a U-boot feel to it.

Mind that during and straight after WW2 many boats were 'updated'. So any boat you visit now probably doesn't have the lay-out that the same boat had during WW2. The ladder to the conning tower in Cod was rotated 90 degrees after WW2. The aft dive rudder operater could lean against the ladder if he wanted to during the war, but not after.

As for light inside the boat, again many modifications and almost none of the boats have the actual lights that they had during the war. We are still researching what the lights (even incadescent lights were used) looked like. We know that some armatures looked real modern. Look at this photo from USS Cero's wardroom: http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0822524.jpg If you look closely you can actually see two lights on the left and right, but hardly visible on the top you can see half of a circular object. That's an armature too. It's about the only picture that we know exists of that light-type. Almost all of them were removed from the boats after ww2. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. If there's anybody out there that has one, or a good picture... ?

As for the amount of light inside. Who can tell if you know the above info? Cod is pretty 'dark' in some places, but lighter in others. Also the paint used inside the boats that you see today is most of the times not correct. Many times you'll see white interiors. However, during ww2 in most cases a light green was used. So, that would have looked different altogether...
The reason for all these 'funny' things is very simple; the boats weren't only warmachines, they were also 'home' for the crew for many days. So anything that had a relaxing effect was used. And that was mainly done with paint and lights.

groetjes,

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-09-08, 08:15 AM
I'm having problems with time outs. I'm using a PC at work and currently have no internet connection at home (that's what you get for living in a jungle.:lol:) I really do need some high-res 3-way plans to start a realistic-looking 3-D model.

M. Sarsfield
01-09-08, 10:07 AM
Gino,

I noticed that light armature in Operation Pacific in the ward room and you are right about the boats going through many mods through out the years. Batfish lasted into the early 70's. There are even flouresent lights installed in her.

Speaking of museums, Neal started the sub-forum under the Movies, Books, Etc. forum for those of us that help out with and work on WWII museum boats. Batfish could use a lot of help and advice in her restoration.

-Pv-
01-09-08, 04:46 PM
Keep in mind there is a difference between war time historical lighting and museum or photographic lighting. You really can't judge historical based on modern presentations.
-Pv-