PDA

View Full Version : SH3 on Win XP x64 won't work?!

Dragnet
01-07-08, 04:09 PM
I just tried to run SH3 on my newly built XP x64 / Vista 64 PC and the CD protection system cr*ps out with a message saying that this an unsupported OS... :shifty:

I have tried and failed so far on XP x64....is there anyway around this? Would Vista 64 work?

SH4 worked fine but I really wanted to try SH3 with GWX 2.0 :o

(Yes I know, I could install XP x32 instead but I want to use all of my new 8 GB of RAM :) )

Zantham
01-07-08, 05:19 PM
I can confirm that SH3 (and SH4) works on Vista x64. You have to download updated Starforce drivers for Vista tho, and is very stable (I leave my games run for DAYS without exiting).

See this thread for details:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=105144

PClop
01-07-08, 06:35 PM
I run SH3 under XP 64 bit by using this small mod,

SHIII_1.4b DiscScratchProtector Utility .

You can find this mod somewhere on this forum .
( SH3_1.4b Power Pack )

:up:

Rwolf
01-07-08, 07:43 PM
Yup, also running on XP/64, having to resort to unmentionable fixes.

Tried to get response from UBI, but in essence, their licensed SF driver for SH3 was too old to work with XP/64, and they wouldn't license/update the game to a newer one.

(Funny enough, the link to the 'unmentionable' I later found on UBI:s own german forums).

---

There are a few old games not running on XP/64 due to starforce, as it is installs a virtual device driver, and needs to have tight interaction with the application, if the driver is incompatible, XP/64 won't load it. If the SF driver is updated, the application won't neccessarily work with it, I guess the Vista workarounds are indications of that.

Some applications refuse to install or won't launch when they cannot recognize the operating system, like one of the 'Splinter Cell' games I have, but in general, the WoW32/64 emulation works fine IMO. (XP/64 looks more like Win2003 to some apps, since that is what it's based on, rather than XP/32, what I read).

Dragnet
01-09-08, 02:37 PM
The Starforce fix didn't help. Or rather, SH3 didn't understand what OS the machine has.

But the utility worked fine - thx for the help! :D

PClop
01-09-08, 05:58 PM
Thanks to :oops: the patch that cannot be mentioned here ( sorry me a noob :damn: )

alf3279
01-27-08, 06:13 AM
I run SH3 under XP 64 bit by using this small mod,

SHIII_1.4b DiscScratchProtector Utility .

You can find this mod somewhere on this forum .
( SH3_1.4b Power Pack )

:up:

Can anybody tell me where to find that utility?
i've searched the forum but no luck.....
And something else. I have SH4, installed 1.4 but as before the patch on the main menu i see half the screen and the letters overlap each other.Any ideas?
My system:Intel Quad Core@2.4GHz, 4Gb Ram, Ati HD3870 512MB, XP pro x64.
Thanks