PDA

View Full Version : 787 Dreamliner doesn't have seperate nav/internet systems?

SUBMAN1
01-07-08, 03:03 PM
Just great. WHo is the stupid designer of this jet? Now a terrorists can hack a plane down instead of having to smuggle in a bomb to blow it up. Stupid people.

-S

Regulators have expressed concern that Boeing's new 787 Dreamliner passenger jet may be vulnerable to hacker attack.

The US Federal Aviation Administration has raised fears that onboard computer networks are potentially exposed to tampering by passengers. Systems designed to give passengers in-flight internet access are connected to the plane's control and navigation systems. The two networks are not physically separated.

Read on here - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/07/boeing_dreamliner_hacker_concerns/

bookworm_020
01-07-08, 04:51 PM
How come I get pictures of a 8 year old playing his nitendo onboard and having him control the plane as well as his game???:hmm:

mapuc
01-07-08, 05:11 PM
A scene from a "Mister Bean" episode comes up in my mind

The one, where he's trying to help a boy with his radiocontrolled ship. YEa you know the rest :rotfl:

Markus

Chock
01-08-08, 06:18 AM
An airliner connected to the Internet? Well, I can't imagine what it is going to do to the poor 787's ego to find that it is getting emails saying that it needs its penis enlarging. One minute it's a Fruedian phallic symbol, next minute it's feeling inadequate and wishing it had eight engines. I can see it now: 'Ladies and gentlemen, we apologise for the delay to flight 412 to Atlanta, the aircraft is depressed and will not come out of the hangar.'

:D Chock

SUBMAN1
01-08-08, 11:08 AM
The point is - someone hacks the NAV system and takes control of the aircraft. That is the problem.

-S

Linton
01-08-08, 07:02 PM
I just hope it is not running on Vista!

TarJak
01-08-08, 07:23 PM
Just a factual correction here. The Nav and onboard internet networks on the 787 ARE SEPARATE! The networks have a connection, but they are separate systems on separate physical networks.

There is a concern that someone would be able to get to the Nav system from the onboard passenger network and Boeing is looking at how they would use a combination of hardware and software to create a one way network connection to allow selected Nav data to be made available to passengers.

I agree they need to come up with something that prevents the pax from getting anywhere near the control systems but knowing what I know about both aircraft and networks my suggestion would be to completely disconnect them physically and electrically so there cannot be any opportunity to for pax to get into
what they should not.

I'll be interested to see what they end up doing.

Etienne
01-08-08, 11:57 PM
There is a concern that someone would be able to get to the Nav system from the onboard passenger network and Boeing is looking at how they would use a combination of hardware and software to create a one way network connection to allow selected Nav data to be made available to passengers.

The cruise ship I worked on had a completly separate system for the position and weather shown on the staterooms TV... We had to update the silly thing by hand, except for GPS data. Entering the courses in the thing took longer than programming the actual nav. computers. I loved it when broadcast called in the middle of departure manoeuvers to order us to correct some erroneous info right away, and threatened to call the captain on us when we got curt. :damn:

I suppose they'll ressort to a simillar system; although since the navigation team of an aircraft has less deadtime on their hand, they'll probably spring for the external sensors, or connect it to a shoreside database for routes, wx info, cocktail of the day and such.