PDA

View Full Version : More Questions

Navarxos
01-07-08, 02:19 AM
Hi SH4 is a great game (and this forum too) but i got some questions regarding the career mode.
1)Yesterday I spotted a ship in my patrol area which was so far away, i could only see his mast in the horizon. I just couldnt chase it. Will this have a negative impact on my "rating"? Are there any rules of engagement for these distances?
2)Sinking Sampans (Japanese little wooden boats) give me renown?
3)Sometimes while patrolling in the navigation map I see a small square, which has written down below, some info about an unknown ship (Bearing Speed Type etc.)
When I go near it, or I try to intercept the course of the ship I dont find anything. What is this square anyway?

John W. Hamm
01-07-08, 04:05 AM
1) Not getting it will not have a negative effect , There are no rules of engagement that I am aware of (just don't shoot any allied ships) it is a open war zone.

2) Sinking Sampams do give you points

3) That small Square is a contact depending on your games settings of difficulty and your crews abilities will determine how up to date your information is, when trying to intercept you have to take into consideration the contacts, speed, directions of travel, and the amount of time that has elapsed since you first noticed the contact, if you are using TC this could have a profound effect.

Fishmachine
01-07-08, 05:35 AM
2) Sinking Sampams do give you points

Yup - three or four deck gun shells and 20 points of renown goes for your account.

3) That small Square is a contact depending on your games settings of difficulty and your crews abilities will determine how up to date your information is, when trying to intercept you have to take into consideration the contacts, speed, directions of travel, and the amount of time that has elapsed since you first noticed the contact, if you are using TC this could have a profound effect.

I strongly suggest installing one of the mods, which lowers the radius of radio reports. In the stock game you'll constantly get tons of reports from hundreds of kilometers away, thus unworth chasing and constantly lowering your TC while travelling.

Navarxos
01-07-08, 06:40 AM
Thanks Gentlemen thats all i wanted ot hear :sunny:

Navarxos
01-07-08, 07:48 AM
I just sank a large freighter with 3 torpedoes, and it broke in the middle just like Titanic and sank in 5 minutes! But the Japs threw a boat into the sea and a couple of rescued sailors managed to get into the boat. Can we capture Japanese survivors?

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-07-08, 08:22 AM
Nah, why waste your time picking them up. Besides there's no room for them. In reality survivors are left on their own unless they're allied. You may place yourself at risk if you're close to enemy airbases. They'll send someone to look for you.

Powerthighs
01-07-08, 01:12 PM
There were a few instances in the war where a survivor or two was picked up, but you can't in the game. You can sink the lifeboats, but that's a war crime.

Navarxos
01-08-08, 06:49 AM
Ok thanks :p

jgbishop
01-08-08, 07:38 PM
I strongly suggest installing one of the mods, which lowers the radius of radio reports. In the stock game you'll constantly get tons of reports from hundreds of kilometers away, thus unworth chasing and constantly lowering your TC while travelling.

Can you point me to a mod that makes this change? It's pretty annoying to get reports of convoys that are on the other side of the ocean!

Zero Niner
01-08-08, 07:51 PM
You should be aware that aircraft contacts on SD radar also show up as squares, which is the same as used for ships. It's only after your watch crew eyeballs the aircraft that the icon changes to a triangle.
I thought I should point this out to you as you can get caught on the surface if you're not careful. Click on the contact, if the speed is given as "very fast" you know it's an aircraft. Take the appropriate action. Me, I dive to 100' and make at least a 45 deg change in course to clear datum. After 30 min I surface to radar depth and check, and surface if the skies are clear.