PDA

View Full Version : Help! Tec. problems

Letum
01-04-08, 09:51 PM
Im usualy able to repair all problems on my PC without help, but this one is getting to me.

Every now and again my connection just stops allowing me to view web pages.
I can Ping the web address and still continue downloading something or use a IM
program, but all webpages return a "can not connect" error.

A quick reboot solves the issue.
I use a ADSL modem/router and this problem does not occur in other PC connected via it.

My default browser is Firefox.

any help, greatly appreciated.

elite_hunter_sh3
01-04-08, 11:06 PM
have you tried contacting your ISP?? it might be a defective modem or something maybe wrong with either a connection or a cable.. :hmm::doh:

Letum
01-04-08, 11:08 PM
have you tried contacting your ISP?? it might be a defective modem or something maybe wrong with either a connection or a cable.. :hmm::doh:

I doubt the ISP will be intrested if my other PCs are working ok.

I have checked the cable...could be the router, are these prone to hardware failiure?

Seth8530
01-04-08, 11:31 PM
Do you have another Internet port to try? Your card could be going bad.

Letum
01-04-08, 11:33 PM

No I don't.

You think it might be a hardware issue?
Im not sure about that as the same router and modem supply the internet to my other
PC, and thats going fine.

Peto
01-04-08, 11:35 PM
I haven't seem many routers fail. The best way to test that though is to connect into a different port (especially since you mention other computers working in your location). Assuming they are hooked into the same router, try one of those connection.

What is more likely though: Sounds like malware to me ( I fix computers for a living). Run a decent program like adaware (www.lavasoft.com (http://www.lavasoft.com)) to check that 1st. Also--check to see what programs are loading up at boot and then watch for other ones that have loaded once your problem starts. Ctrl+Alt+Del to check processes for that. It can be a pain though as there are so many things to track in there.

Try to think about what (if any) changes have occurred recently as well. New Programs loaded? Any goofy shut-down that happened? Dumping TEMP Files is a good idea (browser>Tools>Delete temp files and cookies while you're at it). You can also go Start>Run and type in %temp% and try to delete all the files that are revealed (there may be a couple you can't).

Again--while hardware is always a possibility, this one sure Feels software related to me...

Good Luck!!!

EDIR: What anti-virus do you use? Any updates to it recently before this started?

Kapitan_Phillips
01-05-08, 08:12 AM
No I don't.

You think it might be a hardware issue?
Im not sure about that as the same router and modem supply the internet to my other
PC, and thats going fine.

Have you tried the "Repair Connection" function in My Network Places?

Usually it clears out the DNS Cache and resets things inside your computer, it works for me when my router ups and stops working.

Iceman
01-05-08, 04:55 PM
Write down the IP address and contact your ISP's tech dept...you'll probably have to escalate the call some to someone who knows what the hack you are talking about...

I work for and ISP and we have that happen from time to time where an entire block of IP's will do just what you describe...you can surf a while then bam ur off...when you reboot your basically asking the server to re-issue the ip address and if the modem has not be actually been turned off a while it will pull the same IP again...then you go back and forth round and round....until a network admin looks at the block and notices ..."hey we have alot of service calls in our pools for internet problems with people with same problem all in the same IP address block"...
that frankly sounds exactly like what you describe or having a conflict with hardware...try switching from Ethernet to USB if possible or vice versa to isolate the problem...

but when the problem happens u can still ping...then maybe u need this other thing to use a "Winsoc" fix....

SUBMAN1
01-05-08, 05:03 PM
By the way, that is 99% chance a DNS server problem (If it is not a browser hijack). If it happens again, try manually entering the DNS server from your ISP or another company.

What is happening is your services that connect via IP addresses still work fine, like Messenger and such, but when you need to resolve a name to an IP address, your inability to talk to a DNS server means your computer goes 'huh'?

Is that a good way to explain it?

If worst comes to worst, simply leave your DNS servers entered manually under the hosts adapters TCP/IP settings.

-S

Letum
01-05-08, 06:00 PM
Looks like I fixed my problem.

I set up my own DNS server so I dont have to rely on my IPS's one. No problems now. :D

Thanks Subman, and everyone else!

SUBMAN1
01-05-08, 06:07 PM
Where do I send the bill? :D jk! :p

You're welcome.

-S

sonar732
01-05-08, 06:16 PM
Let's start simple...First, when you ping the website like yahoo.com, write down the ip address (209.191.93.52). Now type that in the url and if it comes up this time, it's a DNS issue as stated earlier.

There are a number of things that you can do from a command line. I might suggest typing ipconfig /?. This will give you the options available. More than likely, you'll have to perform a flushdns or release and renew of your ip address.

This (http://support.mozilla.com/kb/Error+loading+web+sites#Web_sites_intermittently_d o_not_load)is Mozilla Firefox's support for the issue