PDA

View Full Version : Destination Tokyo

aurora-7
01-04-08, 08:09 AM
So I give a try at another 'Career' run, this time with all limited setting turned on for fuel, air, batteries, etc. So what' s my first mission? Photo recon of Tokyo bay.

:o Tokyo bay!? It's like 3 days after the Pearl Habor attack and my first mission is to enter Tokyo bay for a photo essay? Did I run over the admiral's dog or what?

So after being clobbered twice (once by two destroyers on route and once by shore batteries, both because I trusted too much in the night and stayed on the surface too long) and just gave up once (after I was surfaced in the middle of the bay at night to recharge my batteries when some one sent up an illuminating flare) I make it up into the harbor. I even was able to surface at night in a little out-of-the-way place in the harbor and recharge my batteries for a next days mission of photo-journalism.

Now I have to figure out how many pictures to take before the mission is considered complete. I get little green arrows when I look through the scope that tell me what's valid photo candidate but it seems like I'll need to putter around the harbor a bit to find them all. No small feet considering how shallow it is around there.

Anyone mind giving me a hint of how many photos I need to complete this? This is where the sim gets kind of vague of what I actually need to do to complete a mission. I found I can't just sit at the objective marker and snap all the pictures I need from there.

hmatthias
01-04-08, 09:55 AM
Ahh, the wonders of Stock SHIV. Get some mods, and those silly missions will go away, as will the "5 BB task forces"

tomoose
01-04-08, 10:27 AM
It can be up to 5 photos but I just guided my dad through a similar mission to Osaka (Stock SHIV, 1.4 patch) and he only had to take 3 photos before the mission icon on the map turned gray and the message pad said 'complete'.

As hmathias says, go with a mod. Some of those photo missions are just plain ridiculous as you pointed out "3 days after Pearl Harbor...". There's no way that kind of mission would be on the top of any strategy planner's list at that time, LOL.
;)

Mush Martin
01-04-08, 10:42 AM
You can edit this via the upc files.

Open the following file.

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\UPCData\UPCCampaignData

see here this commented out section explains how the file works

;sample entry for the dynamic mission entries loaded during the mission

;EvaluationReasons= FirstObjective, SecondObjective, EndBase

;[Section 1]
;ID=ID1
;FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Test/Test.mis
;StartDate=19411201
;EndDate=19421231
;GameModes=Patrol,Career ; Only Career is used for now, but perhaps we'll develop a Single Patrol Generator in the future?
;InclusionProbability=100
;MinimumDifficultyRating=0
;MinimumPlayerRating=-3
;ExclusiveLayer=No
;ExclusiveLayerID=0
;EvaluationReason=FirstObjective, SecondObjective
;AllMatch= SouthChinaSeaSpecialOps ; match whole objective code
;ObjectiveType=0; 0 - Patrol; 1 - Lifeguard; 2 - Insertion; 3 - Scheduled base stop; 4 - Photo Recon; 5 - Hunt ship
;BriefingMapName=
;BriefingMapIcon=
;BriefingPosX=0
;BriefingPosY=0

What your actually looking for in the file is
one of these five but which of them is the one im
not sure.

[Section 220]
ID=ID220
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Photo Honshu 01/Photo Honshu 01.mis
StartDate=19411201
EndDate=19451201
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumDifficultyRating=0
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
EvaluationReason=FirstObjective
AllMatch=DISABLE
ObjectiveType=4
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0

[Section 221]
ID=ID221
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Photo Honshu 02/Photo Honshu 02.mis
StartDate=19411201
EndDate=19451201
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
AllMatch=DISABLE
ObjectiveType=4
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0

[Section 222]
ID=ID222
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Photo Honshu 03/Photo Honshu 03.mis
StartDate=19411201
EndDate=19451201
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
AllMatch=DISABLE
ObjectiveType=4
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0

[Section 223]
ID=ID223
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Photo Honshu 04/Photo Honshu 04.mis
StartDate=19411201
EndDate=19451201
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
AllMatch=DISABLE
ObjectiveType=4
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0

[Section 224]
ID=ID224
FileName=data/Campaigns/Campaign/PatrolObjectives/Photo Honshu 05/Photo Honshu 05.mis
StartDate=19411201
EndDate=19451201
GameModes=Career
InclusionProbability=100
MinimumPlayerRating=-3
ExclusiveLayer=No
ExclusiveLayerID=1
AllMatch=DISABLE
ObjectiveType=4
BriefingMapName=NULL
BriefingMapIcon=NULL
BriefingMapIconPosX=0
BriefingMapIconPosY=0

you just need edit the start date of the mission
and the game wont select it prior to that date.

No Problemo

Note: if you edit it in the above manner you will be editing your
game file and it will stay that way till you change it back so
make a back up of the file somewhere prior to editing it.
or make a jsgme mod of it by making a folder call it anything
NUPCmod or something open the folder add a data file copy
the upc folder from your install into that data file

edit the upc file thats in the mod folder not your game
insert into jsgme and activate.

good to go.:up:

MM

aurora-7
01-04-08, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info, guys.

MM, I'll try the mod this weekend. Thanks.

aurora-7
01-05-08, 11:19 AM
So after getting the pictures, dodging destroyers, shore batteries and patrol aircraft, I make it out of Tokyo Bay intact and get within 220 miles of Midway Island. I got just under a quarter tank of diesel left and think 'Hooray! I made it'. I got to make the final course adjustments and the boat keeps going in the same direction. Damage control board only shows the AA gun as being with damage and my hull damage points are 6. I must have taken damage to the rudder on the last aircraft attack that was near miss. 220 miles to go and I can't call for help.:cry:

ryu1940
01-06-08, 08:28 PM
Does it show your rudder fully damaged in the DC page? If not the efficiency of the crew members who are exhausted maybe hindering you from making course adjustments. I had a similiar thing happen to me with my torpedoes. The torps werent reloading and nothing was destroyed in a previous attack (damage had been repaired fully) but my crew on watch was extremely exhausted. After switching them out with rested crew members they reloaded the torps without any problems.

aurora-7
01-07-08, 08:09 AM
I don't fully comprehend the DC and crew pages yet. The rudder equipment showed no damage so maybe it was crew fatigue that played a part in this.