PDA

View Full Version : Ship Traffic

HEMISENT
01-03-08, 03:14 PM
I'm new to SH4 as I recently re installed it and trying to get the hang of it. I've got the 1.4 patch plus latest TM and RSRD mods and nothing else enabled. Game runs/plays well no CTD's, no complaints, etc.

This is not a gripe, I merely want to understand if I've got the mods installed properly.

Currently in a test career patrol Mid January 1942 area of Celebese Sea/Makassar Straights. There is absolutely no traffic anywhere. One French merch and one US merch early on in patrol then nothing. Weeks of patrolling and nothing but a couple Jap Zero's.

This is the second career patrol I've run in the Celebese/Makassar area to test the gameplay so to speak and have run into exactly the same thing-no enemy shipping merchant or warship. I only run high TC to get to the general assigned area. Once there, nothing beyond 256.

Tried a different area same time frame Jan 1942 east coast off Hokkaido Island ran up and down for weeks surfaced no shipping and no air patrols. Submerged no contacts at all, inshore and offshore.

I somehow find it hard to believe that given the time frame and the supposed historical flurry of activity there should be some enemy presence out there. Has anyone else run into this. What should I expect?

black1
01-03-08, 03:19 PM
No this is historical to be honest, ye around the mouth to celebes/makasskar there is not much till beginning of 43 actually, the routes the japanese used were different and they used alot in the Java sea, I found a huge, massive convoy in the Java sea march 3rd 1942 heading into the celebes area. Be aptient and they will come soon.

donut
01-03-08, 03:27 PM
RSRDC.needs period traffic maps/Intel. Or,tell us the secret to find targets.:yep:
Real-life,was a tad frustrating.:hmm:

ReallyDedPoet
01-03-08, 03:28 PM
Be patient and they will come soon.

Yes patience is key. This is where SH4 differs from 3, SH4 was about patrolling large expanses, where as 4 is about targeting specific shipping lanes.

Captain Cox made a nice Pacific Pull Down mod that gives you an idea of where these lanes were for the period, Digital Trucker updated this: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119026&highlight=mess+hall

RDP

HEMISENT
01-03-08, 05:12 PM
Thanks guys
I guess patience is the word here. Used to playing SH3 and know all the hot areas. Huge differance from SH4it seems.

RDP
Just DL'd the pull down map. Hopefully will be able to find domething to either shoot at or get shot by.

ReallyDedPoet
01-03-08, 05:16 PM
Thanks guys
I guess patience is the word here. Used to playing SH3 and know all the hot areas. Huge differance from SH4it seems.

RDP
Just DL'd the pull down map. Hopefully will be able to find domething to either shoot at or get shot by.
It is fairly well done, it gives you an idea where the shipping were in the Pacific, those are the areas you want to patrol. I am using the latest TM, and to date have not had a patrol without contacts.

RDP