PDA

View Full Version : Annoyance

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-03-08, 02:27 PM
I love this sim but I hate to look at external view and see the boat 'flying' through the air over the waves in rough weather. I use Sober's Super Mod and I tried Living Waters and although the flying boat was gone the sea texture I preferred in Sober's Super Mod was gone. Pity there couldn't have a combination of both.

-Pv-
01-03-08, 05:43 PM
You can reduce the surfboard effect by sailing at deck awash, but you'll take a penalty in fuel duration and it will affect your deck crew's ability to spot visual contacts. If you want a REAL fix, hope that some day one of the patches will adjust the boyancy and wave-following dynamics. It IS a bit better than it was in patch 1.1. If you don't want to get yourself too wound up, better to ignore it for now.
-Pv-

vickers03
01-03-08, 08:52 PM
this is already in the works:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125557

until it's done you can edit the sim.cfg located in data\cfg
change this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.2
Waves attenuation=0.75

into this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.5
Waves attenuation=0.03

these are the values from SH3 and look much better.
can't remember if there were any side-effects..

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-04-08, 08:27 AM
Thanks Vickers I'll try it out.

Doolittle81
01-04-08, 03:19 PM
this is already in the works:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=125557

until it's done you can edit the sim.cfg located in data\cfg
change this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.2
Waves attenuation=0.75

into this:

[Mech]
Waves amplitude=0.5
Waves attenuation=0.03

these are the values from SH3 and look much better.
can't remember if there were any side-effects..

Just to be certain: Are you saying that making these two sim.ini changes will increase sub pitch...so that it pitches/noses through waves more than the default SH4 subs?

vickers03
01-04-08, 03:55 PM
yes it does. but it also affects all other ships so it can't be set too high. GWX for SH3 sets this even higher but i think they have some other tweaks to compensate negative side effects.

Rockin Robbins
01-04-08, 11:15 PM
I've been using Living Breathing Ocean since long before it became part of Reflections on the Water and I haven't seen a flying submarine in months. But I'd take a flying submarine with a smile just to get Leo back on his feet. What a shame it just isn't that easy. Some things are just more important and subs flying between waves when the solver of the problem's life is at stake. Hang in there Dave!

-Pv-
01-05-08, 05:58 PM
I've tried LBO and the difference is not enough to compensate for what I don't like about the mod: darker water, more pronounced zebra striping, loss of surface transparancy. The wave height in the strongest storms are reduced so greatly, they no longer wash over the bow or cause the neat over-bow wave effect let alone wash over the deck or the bridge. This greatly reduces the rough water immersion factor. The bow pitch effect is also almost none. Since this affects all the other models. I also prefer to watch the merchants bounce around a little more.

Although the original boyancy model leaves something to be desired, I prefer the more pronouced dynamic environment. After all, I'm not in a 15m/sec storm all the time, nor am I forced to watch the sub in external view all the time.
-Pv-

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-07-08, 08:16 AM
That's why I took off LBO from the Mod list. It affected Sober's Super Mod which had some fine looking effects. I tried the alterations in the file and it's much better. The sub pitches and rolls a lot even in calmer waters. But it's better than being swamped by tsunami-type waves and hanging ten on a sub surf-board.