PDA

View Full Version : S-18 or Porpoise Class

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-03-08, 07:54 AM
I was wondering if it would be historically correct to start off with a Porpoise-Class or an S-18 class sub at the beginning of a campaign for the Asiatic area? I had used the S-18 already and wanted to try out the Porpoise.

AVGWarhawk
01-03-08, 08:29 AM
http://www.ozatwar.com/usnavy/fremantlesubmarinebase.htm

Just a short overview of the Asiatic Fleet.

Porpoise is fine. They were there. I like the S class and enjoy working the 'pig boat' until I get a new command of the fleet boat! Lots of fun and sense of accomplishment!

ReallyDedPoet
01-03-08, 08:33 AM
I was wondering if it would be historically correct to start off with a Porpoise-Class or an S-18 class sub at the beginning of a campaign for the Asiatic area? I had used the S-18 already and wanted to try out the Porpoise.
Check out this great thread by Ducimus for some great history regarding the Pacific Theatre: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185

RDP

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-03-08, 09:08 AM
Great read guys. One other thing, during my older campaigns when I had sailed the S-18 and was awarded command of a new Porpoise, the crew was insufficient. I thought the game would have enlisted the right amount of crew to man the boat. I had to use my renown points to get enough crew. Is this normal? Sorry for all the questions. I don't have internet at home. Only in the office and sometimes not enough time to make a search for info.

ReallyDedPoet
01-03-08, 09:14 AM
Great read guys. One other thing, during my older campaigns when I had sailed the S-18 and was awarded command of a new Porpoise, the crew was insufficient. I thought the game would have enlisted the right amount of crew to man the boat. I had to use my renown points to get enough crew. Is this normal? Sorry for all the questions. I don't have internet at home. Only in the office and sometimes not enough time to make a search for info.

I think this is normal DJF, bigger boat means you are going to have to recruit additional crew to man it :yep:

RDP

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-03-08, 09:17 AM
Ok, thanks m8. Same goes for the rest.:up:

jdkbph
01-03-08, 10:08 AM
Is this possible... being upgraded from S boat to something other than a Gato or Balao?

Every new command I've ever been offered has been one of those two, depending on the time frame.

JD

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-03-08, 11:42 AM
That's right got a message in the office asking if I wanted to upgrade to a new class of boat or remain with the old hunk of junk. It was early 1942 when I had finished my second patrol in the S-18. Mind you this campaign was played without mods so that means it was like shooting fish in a barrel. I got the Porpoise class sub. Then I got bored having an easy time with targets so I installed the realistic mods.

SS-18rider
01-03-08, 07:25 PM
If you wanna play relialistic, I think you should go for the P - sub right away. The career patrols in SH4 are made for the fleetboats, to long in distance for S - subs. If your fuel gonna last in the Sugarboat, then you end up at 2/3, doing 5 knots for 2 months or more. By that time the crew have starting eating their leather boots.

AVGWarhawk
01-03-08, 09:02 PM
If I wish to play the S I start in the Asiatic Fleet. Plenty of fuel to get several missions done. I just completed my first patrol with the S and did 5 missions before my torps were depleated. I motored on down to Java for refit. Off again to some choke point somewhere:up: If I start the war at Pearl, I use the Porpoise Class.

DavyJonesFootlocker
01-04-08, 08:34 AM
I did the same thing like AVGWarhawk. I ended up in Saigon harbour where I found so many stationary ships. The S-18 is best used for 'up close and personal' encounters. So I picked them off one by one until all torps were gone. I do not intercept fast moving Task Force ships. The S-18 is mighty slow. So I get targets by sneaking into harbours and get targets.

Orffen
02-19-08, 06:22 AM

I had this problem too, and ran my Porpoise with insufficient crew until I realised that you can recruit the seamen with no skills for 0 renown (at least in stock game - sort by skill and head to the bottom of the list). This was back when I had just started out, was playing on easy easy mode and heading back to base after accomplishing a single objective - didn't even realise that if I radioed my status I'd get a new one. :damn:

CaptainRamius
05-15-14, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure that the S-18 would be a better choice if you went for the realism.
If you wanted to just have fun, pick the Porpoise or higher.
All subs have the same interior, I think,and even though the sub doesn't matter,
The slower the sub, the more time it takes and therefore, more realism.
That's what I think.
:salute:

CAPTAIN RAMIUS
Always ready to leave the navy!

pabbi
05-17-14, 01:33 PM
"I had this problem too, and ran my Porpoise with insufficient crew until I realised that you can recruit the seamen with no skills for 0 renown"

You can always recruit seamen with no skills for 0 renown, mod or no mod.

Rammstein0991
05-17-14, 09:15 PM
Porpoise is good, I also like the Sargo too tbh,