PDA

View Full Version : No map contact updates tips

black1
01-01-08, 04:01 PM
Ok all i want to start playing with no map contacts and i was wondering some of your best tips to intercept a contact. I get a report saying a contact bearing say 320 degrees long range, i immediately mark a spot 320 degrees how far out from my sub? and start the stopwatch and go for 3min 15 secs and mark another spot at contact now 351 degrees how far out from my sub? im thinking it does not matter how far out, am i correct for now. I then check the heading of the sub and get a speed calculation by those 2 marks correct by drawing a line from 1st mark to the other mark. Then set an interception point based on those readings. How far out is "Long Range Sir" . I dont really want to ping him to find distance because it could be a warship or destroyer correct. Could some of you fine chaps explain some tacticts to use when playing with no map contact updates, maybe by screenshots or video would be great, thanks all for the tips and being so helpful here.

black1
01-01-08, 06:18 PM
Anyone have any tips or advice for this, thanks.

manucapo
01-01-08, 06:35 PM
the distance to you does matter

it takes more time to go around an object that is far away from you (in a circle).

all the other stuff you said is alright

and you cant get the heading unless you know the distance either.
for example

if the two bearings you take are the same and you dont know range the ship could be

staitonary.

could be heading straight at you at 1 knts

could be heading straight away from you at 30 knts

and the list just goes on.

so unless you know the exact position of an object, there is no way of determing this.
actually there is a way but its very complicated.

so if you want there ya go
http://www.haptonstahl.org/ppt/tma_files/frame.htm

i know this isnt helping much but i just hate saying something withouth backing it up whit some reason.

dmlavan
01-01-08, 09:35 PM
For the radar contact, go to the PPI scope. Scale out to the max range (60kyds), and bring the range scale in as close as possible without losing the contact. You can "guesstimate" the range to the contact based on the max range on the selected scale, and whether the contact is 1/4, 1/2, etc, of the way from the center to the edge.

As you and the contact both move, you can update your map based on the PPI (which shows relative motion) to develop map contacts (which shows true motion).

black1
01-01-08, 10:12 PM
Yes but im still in 42 and the radar is not yet available, also pinging to get range can be dangerous if it turns out to be a warship, what would be a better way to determine this?