PDA

View Full Version : Help with no Main Menu or load screens

Weather-guesser
12-31-07, 03:52 AM
Has anyone run into this. I have done complete clean installs, no mods running and the game starts fine. I get the Milton start-up poem ok (or Capt. Cox's film if I load it)...when the start up poem ends my screen goes blank where there should be a loading screen and then I hear the music of the main menu, but still have the blank screen. :damn: ...I have done 3 fresh installs on my brand new pavillion and still it keeps happening. Everything was fine until I decided to do a fresh install to clean-up and istall new mods.

To recap I am missing load and main menu screens but I can hear the game has loaded ok, but have a blank screen. Any ideas?? :oops:

maerean_m
12-31-07, 04:57 AM
1. uninstall all mods

2. delete the "My Documents\SH4" folder (you will lose all saves).

Weather-guesser
12-31-07, 11:39 AM
I had already deleted the saves folder and did a clean install. I had deleted all the MOD enabler components after disabling all mods. As well as use the add/remove option to uninstall the game. Any other ideas? :damn:

-Pv-
12-31-07, 02:20 PM
When you did your "clean-up" did you change any other files or hardware? Drivers? When you re-installed SH4 did you let it install DX or use the one you already have? Is there a reason you needed to do a "clean-up?" Perhaps not all mods are gone. Did you delete the SH installation folder?
-Pv-

Weather-guesser
12-31-07, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys...as it turns out for some reason there were save game files left on the system that I found after doing a search using SH4. For some reason they were there in documents folder when I did the search but not in the documents folder itself. I tried to delete them from the search folder but it kept saying the files could not be found...strange. I've been a Capt. since SH2 and never had this problem.

I was able to fix it by using a restore point to where I first unistalled the game and the "stuck" files were gone. Did the same reinstall and everything is fine. :oops:

ReallyDedPoet
12-31-07, 08:24 PM
Nice you got it going :up:

RDP

Cap'n Spanky
02-25-08, 08:19 AM
Has anyone run into this. I have done complete clean installs, no mods running and the game starts fine. I get the Milton start-up poem ok (or Capt. Cox's film if I load it)...when the start up poem ends my screen goes blank where there should be a loading screen and then I hear the music of the main menu, but still have the blank screen. :damn: ...I have done 3 fresh installs on my brand new pavillion and still it keeps happening. Everything was fine until I decided to do a fresh install to clean-up and istall new mods.

To recap I am missing load and main menu screens but I can hear the game has loaded ok, but have a blank screen. Any ideas?? :oops:

Good morning gents,

I am experiencing the same problem. I just got a brandy new HP DV9700 high end lappy top. SHIV ran fine on my desktop so I know it's not a disc problem. I installed on the new box then applied the 1.4 patch. There are no mods nor were there ever since this is a new box. Yes, I installed DirectX9 from the disc.

The specs of the box are way above the required and it plays World in Conflict and Civ IV beautifully. FYI the specs are:

HP Pavillion DV9700T
Intell Duel Core T7500 @ 2.20 GHZ
3 Gig Ram
GEFORCE 8600M GS with 1774 MB - Nivida Forceware 11/07/07.
Vista Home Premium...

I have done 2 un installs and reinstalls... NO JOY!

Anyone have a idea?

Thanks,
Bill

maerean_m
02-25-08, 09:45 AM
I'm guessing the screen doesn't support the default 1024*768 resolution.

Supposing the native resolution of your monitor is 1440*900:
* Try changing the resolution in MyDocuments\SH4\data\cfg\main.cfg to: Resolution=1440,900,60,22. 60 is the frequency. If the frequency is too high (75), the screen will indeed go black.
* Try launching the sh4.exe with the /1440 900 parameter (change the shortcut on the desktop like this: from "C:\Program Files\SilentHunter4\sh4.exe" to "C:\Program Files\SilentHunter4\sh4.exe /1440 900".

Cap'n Spanky
02-25-08, 10:33 AM

* Try changing the resolution in MyDocuments\SH4\data\cfg\main.cfg to: Resolution=1440,900,60,22. 60 is the frequency. If the frequency is too high (75), the screen will indeed go black.
* Try launching the sh4.exe with the /1440 900 parameter (change the shortcut on the desktop like this: from "C:\Program Files\SilentHunter4\sh4.exe" to "C:\Program Files\SilentHunter4\sh4.exe /1440 900".

Maerean,
Thanks for taking time for me man... I know how busy you guys are. I changed the resolution in the Main.cfg. No Joy!

I then tried to change the runtime parameter.... Vista tells me "Windows can not find C:\Program Files\SilentHunter4\sh4.exe /1440 900. Make sure you typed it correctly." I've tried to even run the command from the "Run" option with the same results..

Bill

peabody
02-25-08, 12:05 PM

Maerean,
Thanks for taking time for me man... I know how busy you guys are. I changed the resolution in the Main.cfg. No Joy!

I then tried to change the runtime parameter.... Vista tells me "Windows can not find C:\Program Files\SilentHunter4\sh4.exe /1440 900. Make sure you typed it correctly." I've tried to even run the command from the "Run" option with the same results..

Bill
If you installed in the default path without making any changes that won't be the correct path to the program. Just a thought.
By default, but maybe you changed it, it installs in:
"C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific\gu.exe" I can also run it using sh4.exe instead of gu.exe. I don't know what the gu.exe is but either one worked for me. If you installed it to the path you describe than ignore this. Also make sure you use the correct slash, the one before the parameters is forwardslash the others are backslash.

Just a quick question to Capt Spankyin in case I get a new monitor. Do you need anything between the paramaters like a comma or something or just put them like you did. I noticed earlier in you comment you had commas. It's been so long since I did parameters I have forgotten.
Peabody

Cap'n Spanky
02-25-08, 01:01 PM
Just a quick question to Capt Spankyin in case I get a new monitor. Do you need anything between the paramaters like a comma or something or just put them like you did. I noticed earlier in you comment you had commas. It's been so long since I did parameters I have forgotten.
Peabody[/quote]

Peabody,

That is the path in which I put the game... I and the switches are typed correctly... the normal switch convention is "excutable.exe /switch" . I'm just too new with Vista and not sure of how it expects a switch. I've spent the past hour googling command line switches in Vista to no avail.

Bill

peabody
02-25-08, 01:08 PM
Peabody,

That is the path in which I put the game... I and the switches are typed correctly... the normal switch convention is "excutable.exe /switch" . I'm just too new with Vista and not sure of how it expects a switch. I've spent the past hour googling command line switches in Vista to no avail.

Bill

Thanks for the answer Cap'n Spanky, I understand you don't have to install to the default location, It was the switch that I was unsure of, It's been so many yrs since I had to do anything like that I couldn't remember if they needed separators or just list one after the other. I've had my monitor for a long time and if it dies on me, I may go flat panel and may need some info like that.

Peabody