PDA

View Full Version : Torpedo: Mark 14 'Evolution'?

@Lantis
12-28-07, 07:05 PM
Hi all,

I've been reading about the development of the Mark 14 torpedo during the war, with the initial depth-keeping problems and the faulty detonators.

I read that from late 42 (august/september?) the Mark 14's had their depth keeping problems mostly solved, while in 1943, the faulty detonators were tested in live-fire tests, which lead to improved detonators somewhere in or after 1943.

1. Is this progress in the 'quality' of the Mark 14 also modeled ingame (or maybe in TM1.7.2 which I 'applied' to my SH4 )?
2. Will I be able to count on Mark 14s to run at the set depth after 1942? Or is the chance for a 'low-runner' constant throughout the game campaign.
3. Will the magnetic detonator be less likely to produce a premature detonation (in choppy seas for example)from 1943 onwards?

I also read that in reality, the perfect 90 degree angle shot against the target proved to be not ideal because of the detonator bending or breaking due to the impact upon the target. Is this modeled ingame, because in my limited experience I seem to get the least amount of 'duds' when making my torpedoes hit at 90 degrees AoB, so to speak.

Last question which I haven't been able to find:

4. The Mark 23 is basically a Mk14 with only the high speed setting. It becomes available somewhere in 1942 I believe. Are these Mark23s better at depth keeping than the Mark14 because of the development progress by the time the Mark23 becomes available?

I hope someone knows answers to these questions, because I REALLY dislike duds :arrgh!:

Greetz,

@Lantis

manucapo
12-30-07, 01:20 AM
just to answer one of you questions

the magnetic or contact only seeting does affect the rate of premature explosions (atleast ive observed)

im not sure in wich way it does, but ive find that in rough wheather setting it to one of the options seems to cause lots of prematures, but if you change the seeting you wont get them.

@Lantis
01-01-08, 06:42 AM
Yep, I used 'contact+magnetic' during a clear day in july 1942 with winds of only up to 3 meters per sec, and all six of the torpedoes i launched detonated on target. Needless to say, the merchant was sunk. If a stormy day, I don't dare to use the influence/magnetic detonator, because I've had prematures of all four torpedoes I launched seconds after they left the tubes :huh: .

Anyway, does no one have insight in the game mechanics concerning improving torpedoes over the course of the war?

Greetz, and happy 2008,

@Lantis

Rockin Robbins
01-01-08, 07:41 AM
I am in 1944 on my career and I love Mark 23's. They are slightly more reliable than the Mark 14's, which are also great torpedoes now, and cost no renown. I never use the Mark 14's on slow speed anyway. Depth keeping seems good, although I set dept to keel depth minus 5 feet to allow for any innacuracy. I haven't had a torpedo run underneath a target in almost a year.

In rough water, use contact detonator only. They will still premature in rough water if you use magnetic. Other than that and the rare circle runner, these torpedoes are great.

Peto
01-01-08, 07:46 AM
1. Yes. At least to the best of current modding ability.
2. I don't really count on torpedo depth to be really fixed until 43. They knew it was a problem and the main "fix" wa to set them to run shallow. This works in-game as well.
3. Never count on the Mark VI. The magnetic exploder was never fixed. It was just deactivated and shelved. It was all contact after problems were solved.
4. The Mark 23's were really just modified Mark 14s. As you said--the difference was they only had high speed setting. I've never talked to a submariner that differentiated between the 2 (they always refer to any steam as Mark 14). I can't say for certain about in game (I always carry 14's or 18's) but in RL, the 14's and 23's were identical except for speed.

You may also read that the torpedo fixes came faster in Pearl than they did in Australia. Adm Christie in Australia had his name attached to the Mark VI exploder and refused to admit it didn't work--even after problems were proved. He continued to order the Magnetic exploder to be used right up to 1944. (this command difference is not modelled in-game. would be a serious PITA). Most skippers just deactivated them when they went on patrol and fudged their reports.

Hope that helps!

Happy New Year!!!

:up: