PDA

View Full Version : Passing thermal layers

Zero Niner
12-27-07, 09:33 PM
Ok, this is something I'd classify as an annoyance rather than a show stopper. Yesterday I was fooling around with the training missions and I decided to take my boat (USS Permit, from the torp attack mission) down to test depth.
At about 150' someone called out that we were passing the thermal layer. However it was only a verbal cue, and no such text appeared in the text box at the top centre of the screen. This is not good, since if you miss the verbal cue there seems to be no other way of telling whether you're above or under the layer. In SH1 we had a gauge.

Am I missing a gauge or something here or is it really verbal only?

ReallyDedPoet
12-27-07, 09:36 PM
A previous thread about the subject: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=126375&highlight=thermal+layers
Might be something of interest in there for you.

RDP

Zero Niner
12-27-07, 09:44 PM
Thanks, RDP, but the post you linked doesn't answer the question.

ReallyDedPoet
12-27-07, 09:49 PM
Verbal only :yep:

RDP

Zero Niner
12-27-07, 10:27 PM
Thanks. :)

Snuffy
12-27-07, 10:28 PM
Rgr that ... verbal only, but if you miss it ... the thermal is usually anywhere from 140 to 160.

If I'm away from the puter when doing the depth thing, I usually raise / lower my boat and get the verbal again.

Only way to know for sure is to be at the system when the verbal is pushed out yer speakers.

Rockin Robbins
12-28-07, 02:23 PM
The thermal barrier isn't a brick wall anyway. It's more like a screen door. When the buggers ping you they still get an echo, just slightly offset from where it should be. But they still maintain contact. And if they hear you above the layer, they most likely still hear you below it.

It's a worthwhile thing, as it makes tracking you a little harder and every bit helps when you have an elite above you, but the thermal barrier is not the end of your problems with the guard dogs up there.

Just trying to be encouraging!:up:

Ducimus
12-28-07, 06:09 PM
All a thermal layer does, is reduce the strength of the signal they receive via sensors. It doesn't eliminate the signal, although it can greatly "turn down the volume" so to speak.