PDA

View Full Version : Firing Torps

Zero Niner
12-27-07, 09:25 PM
Long time SH3 player here, but very new to SH4. Hope someone could point out to me what are the subtle differences between SH3 and SH4 when it comes to using torpedoes.

For instance, US boats cannot salvo torps unlike U-boats. So in SH3 I could fire say 3 eels in one go, in SH4 I'll have to fire them individually.

So, my main question is what should I do when I want to fire a spread?

Here's what I think I need to do, correct me if I'm wrong (using auto targeting):

1. Open tube doors by selecting tubes and hitting 'Q'. Doors will stay open until torp is launched, or manually closed.
2. Decide on running depth, speed, fuse settings, etc, and set for each torp individually. Changes will "stick" to the torp, meaning that I can set individual settings for each tube (like in SH3). Or does the most recent setting behave like a universal one and apply to *all* tubes? In which case I'll have to quickly rejiggle the settings after each torp is launched, before I fire the next one.

Now here comes the part I'm most unsure of. Let's say I want to fire 3 torps at a target.

One method I could use is to use the lock function ('L' key) to target the centre of the ship, then use the spread angle on the torp settings panel to adjust a few degrees left and right for the selected tubes, then fire the tubes sequentially.

Another method I could use (I think) is manually aim the scope at say the bow, fire, change tube, aim at centre, fire, change tube, aim at stern, fire. I could do this in SH3 quite successfully if I eschewed the salvo option, is it still the same here?

Another question - I presume the range readout in the position keeper (the panel that slides out on the left) is in yards (I have imperial units selected)?

Thanks.

ReallyDedPoet
12-27-07, 10:10 PM
1. Open tube doors by selecting tubes and hitting 'Q'. Doors will stay open until torp is launched, or manually closed.
Yes
2. Decide on running depth, speed, fuse settings, etc, and set for each torp individually. Changes will "stick" to the torp, meaning that I can set individual settings for each tube (like in SH3).
Yes
Now here comes the part I'm most unsure of. Let's say I want to fire 3 torps at a target.

One method I could use is to use the lock function ('L' key) to target the centre of the ship, then use the spread angle on the torp settings panel to adjust a few degrees left and right for the selected tubes, then fire the tubes sequentially.
Yes

Another method I could use (I think) is manually aim the scope at say the bow, fire, change tube, aim at centre, fire, change tube, aim at stern, fire. I could do this in SH3 quite successfully if I eschewed the salvo option, is it still the same here?
Yes

Another question - I presume the range readout in the position keeper (the panel that slides out on the left) is in yards (I have imperial units selected)?
This can be changed to either Imperial\Metric in the game settings.

Nice thread on firing torps: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=127534&highlight=torps

RDP

Zero Niner
12-27-07, 10:20 PM
Thanks RDP.
It appears that you can set individual settings, except for the offset angle, which carries over.

ReallyDedPoet
12-27-07, 10:24 PM
Thanks RDP.
It appears that you can set individual settings, except for the offset angle, which carries over.

Roger on that :yep:

RDP