PDA

View Full Version : [Help] - Aircraft warning radar stops working

Denson
12-25-07, 06:13 AM
I loaded my save, i'm in the middle of the sea. I got a god's eye info about a merchant, hmm not so far from me so i click on the radar to find it, unfortunately the merchant was pretty quick and moved away before my radar could catch him AND THEN....
i compress time to 4k and i get a warning "aircraft spotted!" WTH why the aircraft radar don't work? Patched to 1.4, no other mods

jdkbph
12-25-07, 11:34 AM
May or may not be related to what you're reporting, but there seems to be an oddity with 1.4 - or perhaps it's one of the mods... not sure - regarding SD RADAR.

When the aircraft is beyond visual range you get an indicator on the map (a square) showing where the bogies is. However, as soon as it comes within visual range, the RADAR indicator disappears... and where before we had the triangle indicating visual aircraft sighting, now there's nothing. It's as if it disappears.

I'm guessing that "ship" you were chasing was actually an aircraft on RADAR... and when it disappeared, it was because it was now in visual range.

And easy way to tell is to click on the square RADAR sighting icon on the map. If it says VERY FAST, that's an airplane.

JD

Takao
12-26-07, 10:06 PM
Might be a holdover from SHIII. IIRC, the higher TC you used the less you detection range/notification was. It had something to do with how often checks were performed. The higher the TC the less checks were made. Several times I got swooped by aircraft in high TC and didn't get an "aircraft spotted" until the bombs had already gone off. The clincher was at night - in a rainstorm - at 2kx, a british destroyer has taken my hull down to 25% damaged most everything on board...Then I get the message "ship spotted" and TC drops to 1x. Thanks a lot watch crew, no really I mean it.

This is why I don't go above 1024x during the day or 256x at night. The only times I go to a really high TC is when I am not expecting trouble. The lessons I learned with SHIII, keep me in good stead with SHIV.

-Pv-
12-28-07, 01:10 AM
I agree with takao and the SH4 manual warns of this. The more TC you use, the more likely you will get surprised by sudden contacts with little warning. Keep your TC low in dense action areas.
-Pv-

Laffertytig
12-28-07, 07:06 AM
think this is related to my problem above