PDA

View Full Version : Thanks and Questions

Neinbull
12-25-07, 04:15 AM
I've been reading this forum for few weeks now and got many of my questions already answered. Thanks to WernerSobes excellent tutorials. Since Silent Hunter 4 was my first submarine game, it took some time to manage all the stuff like Manual targeting etc.

Now to my questions, I started a new Career, realism set to 100% except event camera. My first patrol was to take photos of a carrier just outside Manila, Philippines. Since the water is so damn shallow, and destroyers everywhere, how should I get past them unnoticed, any advice to give me here.

My second question, how does WernerSobe calculate the AOB when using sonar only fire solution.

and my third question, could someone explain to me a bit more precisely and more in depth how the O'kanes method works. I tried to read the instructions many many times, but I seem to F-UCK up the solution everytime in the game.

Thank you in advance,
Sebastian

jazman
12-25-07, 11:32 AM
O'Kane method: basically you are setting up a firing lane, and as a target passes through, you fire at will, no aiming required, they are in the kill zone. When the stack passes through the crosshairs, you fire, and you should hit under the stack.

Do not at any time turn on the Position Keeper. The PK is to identify and track a moving target point (the ship), and you shoot whenever you want to. The PK changes the solution dynamically as the target ship and the sub move, so at every moment in time you have a solution.

The O'Kane method is to set up a fixed target point, and you shoot at that point when a ship is in it.

You absolutely have to shoot at the ship when the AoB is 90. Don't have the periscope locked on the ship when you're entering speed and AoB and range. The scope should be pointing at your target point.

Make sure your TDC display makes sense.

I screw up using the PK all the time, because of range problems, O'Kane always works, because at 90-degree AoB, range doesn't really matter.

Rockin Robbins should be able to elaborate as needed.

Snuffy
12-25-07, 11:35 AM
Run Silent ... Run Deep ... 2kts or less ... TC @ 1:1

It'll take a while but it's very doable.

Neinbull
12-25-07, 12:30 PM
I just finished the mission, damn such a long time it took.

Thanks for your answers, I think I get it now.

BTW I didn't know you could sink big ass merchants like the huge european liner with a deck gun, took about 20 shots. Who needs torpedos anymore, lol

Neinbull
12-25-07, 12:35 PM
When is the new expansion pack going to be released?