PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling after 12+ months - some questions!

BandofBrothers
12-23-07, 02:07 PM
Hey guys.

I haven't played Silent Hunter 4 since launch day. I was having a few issues with the game, and I have been very busy over the last year or so, started a new job etc etc.

Anyway, I finally got around to building myself a new rig (Q6600 @ 3ghz, 2gb ddr2, 500gb sata II hard drive, 512mb 8800GT, 22" Samsung Syncmaster 2232bw, antec nine hundred case, Corsair HX 620w psu) etc

Okay, so some questions.

1) Has the game performance increased with the patches that have come out since launch? I seem to remember AA\AF killed the fps, and AA didn't work properly if I remember right?

2) What are the "must have" mods for the game? Graphics enhancements are my fav.

3) Is the community still alive & kicking like it was with SH3 years ago :) ?

4) Also I remember the career thing, where your captain would retire after only a few missions, is there a way around that now? so I can do a lot more missions, like in silent hunter 3?

5) Has anyone compiled any music packs for the grammaphone? with American jazz music etc from ww2 :-)

+ Any other hints\tips\must have info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!:arrgh!::ping::ping:

John Channing
12-23-07, 02:22 PM
Lots of improvements.

1) Patch to 1.04 and performance will not be a problem with your rig.

2) Trigger Maru 1.7.3 + RSRD campaign + ROW (check the mods forum... you have a lot of reading to do). Some prefer RFB (Real Fleet Boat ) but I can't comment never having used it (yet).

3) Yup

4) Complete your mission objective and then radio in and you will get a second objective. Complete that and radio in. Rinse, lather, repeat. No freelancing and your career will progress nicely

5) Lots and Lots. Check the Mod forum.

6) Spend s few days reading.. especially the stickies. It will be well worth the effort. Sh4 is much more sophisticated than SH3, but ti takes a while to work out and appreciate the subtle improvements.

Good hunting.

JCC

CaptainHaplo
12-23-07, 02:25 PM
Welcome back BoB!

I will answer as you asked.

1) The patches have drastically improved performance. With 1.4 - they also redid the sight image - your no longer in a 7 mile bubble - its now 20 miles! And with the engine enhancements - it till runs better than base 1.0 - so definitely patch with 1.4 and enjoy!

2)Must have mods? Only one that is absolutely necessary - and that is ROW(Reflections on the water). Its a graphics enhancement that truly shows the meaning of enhancement! The rest are a matter of taste - but for those looking for realism - Trigger Maru or Real Fleet Boat (TM or RFB) are great, as are the Run Silent Run Deep that works with them (RSRD) - also check out NSM (Natural Sinking Mechanics) for another great piece of the puzzle. Of course - all are JSGME ready and there is plenty of info out there on the order of install. There are other great mods out there - but these are the ones I find bring the greatest of realism, which I enjoy. Some other good ones out there are Mess Hall Sink mod and Sobers megamod - both add great things. Read the readme's and see which fits what you want. But no matter what - get ROW!

3) Absolutely!!!!!!

4) Forced retirement is fixed - in that you are now given the opportunity of retirement - or spend renown to get stay active.

5) I dont use the gramaphone - but there are alot of mods out there for it - just not sure if there is a US Jazz one as yet.

As for other info - the 1.4 patch is inclusive - you dont have to do them all - just the 1.4 over a stock install. They also got rid of the copy protection (nice of Ubi) so install and then put the dvd away in a safe place. Lastly - Ubi is working on an expansion that will add some strategic elements to the game as well as the ability to play the germans in the pacific as is semi-historically correct- we will have to see how that turns out. Yes they are revising history a bit - but its within the realm of reaon... kind of... :rotfl:

Lastly - enjoy! Just remember than SH3 and SH4 are radically different beasts - so don't get too frustrated.

BandofBrothers
12-23-07, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the info guys:know::know:

I will spend some time checking all the stickies, and I will download the patch and reflections mod now:yep:

Thx again!:D

ReallyDedPoet
12-23-07, 03:21 PM
Welcome back :yep::up:

Check out this link for lots of music for your grammaphone,
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119668
also there are some great radio mods as well, CBS, NBC, BBC, pick one they are all great. Check the 1.4 Compatability Thread.

RDP

Sailor Steve
12-26-07, 12:35 PM
Here I go being picky and negative again...

Reinstalling after 12+ months?

It's only been 9 months since its March 2007 release.:sunny: