PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions...

Barkhorn1x
12-23-07, 01:40 PM
...to lazy to search.

- Best depth for sonar?
- Explanation of sonar button and display FUNCTIONALITY (need to know HOW to use it exactly as the way the SHIV implements this stuff is confusing as compared to SHI)?
- Explanation of the radar display FUNCTIONALITY and how the PPI works w/ the A-scope?

Thanks in advance.

Mush Martin
12-23-07, 01:55 PM
...to lazy to search.

Well good luck:up:

ReallyDedPoet
12-23-07, 01:56 PM
...to lazy to search.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

RDP

Barkhorn1x
12-23-07, 06:23 PM
...to lazy to search.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH for your assistance!!!! :down:

FYI, I did look at the stickied guides and there was not enough info. there. And the manual is a joke since this functionality wasn't even completed when the sim was released.

Mush Martin
12-23-07, 06:28 PM
I suppose it was a bit of a cheeky response I will grant you that at least
and apologize but the opening statement was bound to draw it I am fairly
confident of that from somebody.

none the less I do understand about the manual being a little shall we say
dilute. and if you would grant a bit of forgiveness I will see if I can be of
some assistance.

NORI

M

Mush Martin
12-23-07, 06:32 PM
...to lazy to search.
Best depth for sonar?
Thanks in advance.
Avoiding it or being detected by it?

Explanation of sonar button and display FUNCTIONALITY (need to know HOW to use it exactly as the way the SHIV implements this stuff is confusing as compared to SHI)?
honestly this one is gone in twenty four or fourty eight hours its just an
adjustment obviously from your statement you already know how to
drive a sub and the interface will work itself out to instinctive in a few
days is all I think but if you do need more by all means pm me.

some help with the radar I will have to either get back to you a bit
later or hopefully someone else will see fit to see past my own impertinence
and throw in the PPI info.

Sorry again.
M

ReallyDedPoet
12-23-07, 07:48 PM
...to lazy to search.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH for your assistance!!!! :down:

FYI, I did look at the stickied guides and there was not enough info. there. And the manual is a joke since this functionality wasn't even completed when the sim was released.

Sorry about that, just having a little fun :yep: Anyway I sent a PM to another member here who should be able to explain this to you better than I can.

Your right about the manual, use it as a coaster or something. This place is your manual.

RDP

Barkhorn1x
12-23-07, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys. And, yea, I knew you were joking - as was I. :arrgh!:

Sonar:
- Best dept to pick up targets? (Somewhere below peri depth I belive)
- How does one actually get the bearing info to the TDC? Just clicking on the notepad doesn't seem to do it for me (maybe I am just an idiot? :doh:)

RADAR - thanks for the - forthcoming - help in this area as the A-scope is pretty straightforward (drive toward the blobs!) But not sure about the PPI scope - both how to use it and how to interpret it.

Thanks.

Mush Martin
12-23-07, 08:08 PM

Sonar:
- How does one actually get the bearing info to the TDC? Just clicking on the notepad doesn't seem to do it for me (maybe I am just an idiot? :doh:)

RADAR - thanks for the - forthcoming - help in this area as the A-scope is pretty straightforward (drive toward the blobs!) But not sure about the PPI scope - both how to use it and how to interpret it.

Thanks.
BH isnt that backwards in the labelling there?

PPI puts dots on the screen in the circle and A scope should
put it up like an Oscilliscope display.
(Im sure Im right about the labels but maybe not.)
any way IIRC theres a bearing indicator somewhere on the box
as opposed to the display and the peaks in the graph represent
range to target measured from left to right (scale varies on a switch)
Further the hieght of the
peaks indicates strength of signal return and therefore gives some
indication of the size of the target.

you know im gonna have to load this game in the morning.
:rotfl:

ReallyDedPoet
12-23-07, 08:21 PM

Sonar:

Just a few feet below PD has worked best for me.

As far as bearing, so far with Manual Targetting I am using the following method:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=718758&postcount=25
At this point in time I have not gone to far past this :roll:
Anyway, someone will come along and answer your questions more in detail, as well I am sure the member I mentioned above will get to you with some info.

This is another nice little guide: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=511523&postcount=46

RDP

Rockin Robbins
12-23-07, 09:53 PM
First of all I have to again pass the buck and say that the best tutorial on how to use the sonar in battle is by WernerSobe in his Sonar Only Manual Targeting Tutorial video http://files.filefront.com/WernerSobe+Sonar+Only+Tutlwmv/;8914579;/fileinfo.html. This thing is so good! I absolutely guarantee the most fun you can have in SH4 is to smack the side of a target never seen with two torpedoes. Werner's tutorial answers all your questions, I think, about the actual operation of active sonar. The buttons I use for send to TDC are on the sonar button bar right beside each other, but you can use the toggles in the conning tower as well. I just like the two buttons side by side.

As far as maximum range from passive sonar goes, about 70 feet, 10 feet below periscope depth seems to be the sweet spot, but periscope depth is pretty darn good. I usually come to full stop at 70' if I want a comprehensive sonar sweep. Keep in mind that a functioning radar will do just about as well and give you more information besides.

As far as radar is concerned, I don't use the PPI display at all and just check out how it is plotted on the nav map. This is not unrealistic because that is exactly what a plotting crew would do. A sub captain didn't plot his own targets, although he might back up the TDC with a banjo to keep it honest. Usually he had another officer do that too.

Barkhorn1x
12-24-07, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the information here guys.. Good stuff.

And the pictures in this link were just great - especially the last one - BOOM indeed.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=511523&postcount=46

GREAT Holiday all!:rock:

Rockin Robbins
12-24-07, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the information here guys.. Good stuff.

And the pictures in this link were just great - especially the last one - BOOM indeed.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=511523&postcount=46

GREAT Holiday all!:rock:
I mentioned a banjo and you post a link to one! Play the Twilight Zone music!:doh: Or maybe some really weird Christmas music.

ReallyDedPoet
12-24-07, 12:21 PM
Thanks again RR :yep::up:

RDP