PDA

View Full Version : Any way to setup salvo mode in SH4?

u.Prestige
12-23-07, 02:18 AM
Salvo mode in SH3 is quite easy to use, but in SH4 it's a different story:damn:
You should set each torpedo seperately, that's ok:-?
BUT when setting spread angle for each tube I encounter a nasty bug (maybe not a bug, I just don't like that): When I have set offset angle for one tube, all other tubes automatically gets the previous tube's offset angle:down:
If one tube's offset angle don't affect other tubes, I can finish setting up salvo mode before launching the 1st torpedo.
Any mod to fix that?

fire-fox
12-23-07, 02:43 AM
there is only the one way realy and its not what you'd say was a true "salvo" but its got the same affect at the target end on its run. (much easer in 1.4 thanks to the veiw distanse)

1st position your self so the targets are going to come past you at a short range 3 - 400m but are comeing towords you.

2nd prep all your Fish/Tube doors as early as posibull.

3rd set up on the ship ferthest away. with just a bit of spread so that if the try to avoid your torpedos theres still a chanse (again thanks to 1.4) i like to have one aimed at the funnel (or cargo deck on rear funnel type ships) and one aimed to miss infrund by a ~quorter length.

4th Fire on the ferthest ship in the line and quikly switch to the next nearest one (i like to use slow speed on the farthest one and then i can use fast speed if i need it on the next ship)

5th you should at this point just needed to range and gess a ruff A.O.B for the secoound ship (one closes'd to You). and Fire.

with a bit of practes of your TBT you should be makeing shots at multipal ships in formation in no time and hitting. The aim is that the fist torpedo on both ships hit within about 10 secound of each other, i like the ship nearist me to take its hits at about 20' AOB thatway you have time to re set and reshoot, if needed.

Hope his helps and sorry for any miss-spelling's. office party last night.:doh: :arrgh!:

fire-fox
12-23-07, 02:52 AM
the only thing i dont like about sh4 thats good in sh3 is that the TBT in the sim (dont no about IRL) has not point and fire like you can in sh3 with the scope. its mush easer to get a goo fire solution in SH4 thanks to the TBT with plenty of practis you can get the AOB right to +/-1 to 4 degrese

PS MODS PLEASE MOVE THIS TOPIC TO THE GENERAL FORUM

AVGWarhawk
12-23-07, 08:02 AM
I noticed this also, all torps repeat what the previous input is. Seems ok to me but it is a pain a in the butt when you only want one or two to have a spread. I just work furiously to adjust all within a 10 second window between firings.

Rockin Robbins
12-23-07, 08:41 AM
I noticed this also, all torps repeat what the previous input is. Seems ok to me but it is a pain a in the butt when you only want one or two to have a spread. I just work furiously to adjust all within a 10 second window between firings.
THIS.....is the voice......that depressing voice......of........REALITY. Especially to all you guys (count me in:up:) who migrated from U-boats. The American TDC works differently from the German one because they were different in exactly that way. American policy was that torpedoes were fired no closer to each other than four or five seconds to prevent cross-talk between the magnetic exploders and premature explosion of the whole spread. (what's that I hear? They blow up by themselves anyway?:rotfl:) Their spread setting was global, applying to all tubes and needed to be reset for each shot, just like you are complaining about.....just like THEY undoubtedly complained about.

Well, actually they did not complain because they just learned to work the system. (And let me inject the tater argument that from the Captain's viewpoint he just ordered the spread and the crew took care of the nasty details:yep:.) American crews didn't have your experience so to them it was just the way things worked.

See, you guys are spoiled by the one feature of a U-boat that could arguably be called superior: not having to hit the send button for bearing info to get to the TDC. But I'm here to tell you that is no advantage at all!

Please have a seat and load up my tutorial on the Dick O'Kane attack method, which you'll find strangely familiar. But note the critical differences between U-boat and American procedure that really show the advantage of the American TDC. For instance you can aim the torpedo and then look elsewhere all you want without screwing up your aim! It's all what you're used to. Seminar starts in five minutes at http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=652326&postcount=67. No abusing the projectionist. Report back and let us know whether you still think that salvo mode is all that superior, or did the Americans really have something worthwhile there?

-Pv-
12-23-07, 04:10 PM
Yup, one global offset (which has to be reset for each tube) although on the same panel, the speed and detonator type can se set and remembered for each tube.
-Pv-

Travis Reed
12-23-07, 05:44 PM
It'll remember depth setting for individual tubes as well, just not the spread. Although, my torps can't seem to follow the depth I order them...

Wilcke
12-23-07, 06:02 PM
THIS.....is the voice......that depressing voice......of........REALITY. Especially to all you guys (count me in:up:) who migrated from U-boats. The American TDC works differently from the German one because they were different in exactly that way. American policy was that torpedoes were fired no closer to each other than four or five seconds to prevent cross-talk between the magnetic exploders and premature explosion of the whole spread. (what's that I hear? They blow up by themselves anyway?:rotfl:) Their spread setting was global, applying to all tubes and needed to be reset for each shot, just like you are complaining about.....just like THEY undoubtedly complained about.

Well, actually they did not complain because they just learned to work the system. (And let me inject the tater argument that from the Captain's viewpoint he just ordered the spread and the crew took care of the nasty details:yep:.) American crews didn't have your experience so to them it was just the way things worked.

See, you guys are spoiled by the one feature of a U-boat that could arguably be called superior: not having to hit the send button for bearing info to get to the TDC. But I'm here to tell you that is no advantage at all!

Please have a seat and load up my tutorial on the Dick O'Kane attack method, which you'll find strangely familiar. But note the critical differences between U-boat and American procedure that really show the advantage of the American TDC. For instance you can aim the torpedo and then look elsewhere all you want without screwing up your aim! It's all what you're used to. Seminar starts in five minutes at http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=652326&postcount=67. No abusing the projectionist. Report back and let us know whether you still think that salvo mode is all that superior, or did the Americans really have something worthwhile there?

See above...its a whole different animal...plus as the history relates; their's a torpedo shortage so 1-2 fish per ship folks...and if its a small freighter just one fish! Whats up with this spread business....was margarine already around in '41?:rotfl:

-Pv-
12-25-07, 12:06 AM
"...It'll remember depth setting for individual tubes as well, just not the spread. Although, my torps can't seem to follow the depth I order them....."

Not until late in the war was the depth problem solved (reality check.)
-Pv-