PDA

View Full Version : Damaged ships

djeeper
12-22-07, 07:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone has come across previously damaged ships while on patrol.
I believe the Shokaku was found and sunk after being previously hit by bombs. I've also read other accounts of subs/u boats coming across previously damaged ships and finishing them off.

I've never seen any in the game, if no one else has maybe it would be a cool add-on.

Torplexed
12-22-07, 07:26 PM
I was wondering if anyone has come across previously damaged ships while on patrol.
I believe the Shokaku was found and sunk after being previously hit by bombs. I've also read other accounts of subs/u boats coming across previously damaged ships and finishing them off.
The Shokaku was damaged by bombs in the 1942 Coral Sea battle, but despite US attempts to torpedo her enroute to Japan for repairs, she escaped. She was given the code name 'Wounded Bear' in this operation. When sunk by US torpedoes during the Phillipine Sea battle two years later, she was in an undamaged state.

I've seen ships damaged due to the effects of storms before. If they sink before I get to 'em they have a grey 'sunk' icon instead of the usual red one. I think Japanese ships could be damaged by friendly air groups but they usually polish all their victims off.

iricund
12-22-07, 07:42 PM
I once had a situation where an explosion from a cruiser rippled to two nearby destroyers and resulted in one sinking and the other being crippled. Not coming across a damaged ship per se as it was my torpedo which caused the initial explosion - but a nice fringe benefit never the less.

Not encountered any weather related sinkings to date - would be nice to see the weather coming more visibly into effect at some point.

Renesisfury
12-23-07, 12:08 AM
The Shokaku was damaged by bombs in the 1942 Coral Sea battle, but despite US attempts to torpedo her enroute to Japan for repairs, she escaped. She was given the code name 'Wounded Bear' in this operation. When sunk by US torpedoes during the Phillipine Sea battle two years later, she was in an undamaged state.

I've seen ships damaged due to the effects of storms before. If they sink before I get to 'em they have a grey 'sunk' icon instead of the usual red one. I think Japanese ships could be damaged by friendly air groups but they usually polish all their victims off.
Ah, so THATS what the grey sink icon means!

mcf1
12-23-07, 02:55 AM
Anybody tried to raid a port? I sometimes do that and everytime I see burning ships most of them destroyed. They ramm the docks or beach.

John W. Hamm
12-23-07, 03:41 AM
I raid ports too, and I often find ships that have ran aground and are on fire or just damaged, on more than one occasion I have come across ships at sea that were already damaged and they sink before I can line up on them, however unlike in a previous post where they saw a gray sunk icon, all the ones I see are red but I can assure you I have never received credit for them.

djeeper
12-23-07, 11:10 AM
Thanks for clearing up the Shokaku.

I've never come across ships sunk from weather, I have seen heavier ships ram destroyers and sink. No credit for me though even though the destroyers were chasing me and thus the collision.

I've raided a few ports but have never seen beached or burning ships.

-Pv-
12-23-07, 04:02 PM
I've seen a number of ships in port at Midway, Pearl, and enemy ports where the ships are placed too near each other, the pier, or shore and become damaged in the process. I watched one hit the pier, blow up and sink just a couple days ago.
-Pv-