PDA

View Full Version : Saving ingame missions patch / mod

Marklaur
12-20-07, 05:31 AM
Does anyone know if there is anything on the horizon to enable us to save our mission progress? I have lost my progress a few times when I did not have the time to complete a mission.

The one thing that I really would like to see.

Cheers MarkL

horsa
12-20-07, 12:03 PM
Afraid not. We all wish it was otherwise :yep:

MarkShot
12-22-07, 08:29 PM
Hi,

I was just dropping by and thought I would share a solution which I once used with SH2/PA.

Windows XP Pro SP2 and probably Vista (don't have it) have a feature called Hibernate. Hibernate allows you to shut down your machine and reload it later when you power up to exactly where it was previously. Thus, you could resume your game where were previously.

I have not looked at SOF or hardware requirements. However, many virtual machine utilities allow the execution environment to be saved and restore exactly. Thus, if you played SOF under a VM utility, you could save the VM and restore it later.

Both of the above would give you a pseudo-save game functionality.

Marklaur
12-23-07, 07:33 PM
I have heard about various ways to save the system status when shutting down the PC.

The virtual PC option may be good. Depends on how hard it is to set them up. I have ben told that Microsofts virtual PC is now free, but I have no idea how easy it is to use.

Something to look into.

cheers MarkL

MarkShot
12-23-07, 10:13 PM
Unfortunately, most VMs don't do well with video card emulation (they're mainly for application 2D).

However, the hibernate function should work fine. It will, at least, allow to shut down your PC if you play a patrol that lasts days. However, you will not be able to reboot until you complete your patrol. Sometimes you may want to reboot ... if for example you install some software patches which require a reboot.

I had actually created a separate XP partition just for running SH2/PA with which to hibernate when I was in the middle of a patrol. SH2 had a save/reload function, but it was largely broken.