PDA

View Full Version : How long will Siberia's gas last?

Skybird
12-18-07, 06:06 PM
News from the cold:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/0,1518,druck-524140,00.html

SUBMAN1
12-18-07, 06:31 PM
The Russians know this. That is why they are trying to lay claim to open ocean oil fields.

-S

Stealth Hunter
12-18-07, 07:17 PM
Our world's oil supply is actually really close to running out... that is until someone comes along and discovers a new supply. Then we're OK.

Pity we're so desperate and dependant on oil.

SUBMAN1
12-18-07, 08:33 PM
Give it time. When oil becomes expensive enough, probably around $5 a gallon for US people, the alternatives will come pouring out of the woodwork.

I assume BP will tap their knowledge and begin to extract oil from our oil shale soon. They made a cheap way to extract oil from oil shale, almost as cheap as pumping it out of the ground. Lets see if they can make a large production out of it. Those British people are clever sometimes.

Problem is, someone will say that some cotton tail deer is endangered or something by it since most of that oil shale (the worlds majority of it no less) is sitting on Federal National Forest land! :D

-S

Zachstar
12-18-07, 10:29 PM
Oil Shale isn't enough to put a real dent in anything right now. What is needed is FUSION.

Thankfully tho solar cell technology is causing price per watt to drop so fast that it might be economical to power your home from it and your car with a giant rooftop array in a few years. This is only a stopgap tho. That and more advanced wind turbines.

SUBMAN1
12-18-07, 10:41 PM
Oil Shale isn't enough to put a real dent in anything right now. What is needed is FUSION.

Thankfully tho solar cell technology is causing price per watt to drop so fast that it might be economical to power your home from it and your car with a giant rooftop array in a few years. This is only a stopgap tho. That and more advanced wind turbines.Excuse me? We have a couple Saudi Arabia's worth of oil in our backyard? Fusion - nice concept, but I think you really want hydrogen and are mixing up the two. Fusion will come in due time. Hydrogen however will be the fuel of the future since it is as limitless as the ocean.

By the way, I doubt the public will like rolling around in radioactive cars. Might cause a scene if an accident happens! :D

-S

Reaves
12-18-07, 10:46 PM
How long will Siberia's gas last?

I had bad gas once and it lasted nearly a full day! That was some funky taco's I was eating.

Zachstar
12-18-07, 10:57 PM

Thankfully tho solar cell technology is causing price per watt to drop so fast that it might be economical to power your home from it and your car with a giant rooftop array in a few years. This is only a stopgap tho. That and more advanced wind turbines.Excuse me? We have a couple Saudi Arabia's worth of oil in our backyard? Fusion - nice concept, but I think you really want hydrogen and are mixing up the two. Fusion will come in due time. Hydrogen however will be the fuel of the future since it is as limitless as the ocean.

By the way, I doubt the public will like rolling around in radioactive cars. Might cause a scene if an accident happens! :D

-S

Say what? I am not speaking about fission you twit. Get it right. PB11 fusion expells no radioactive particles.

The problem isnt the amount. Its the amount they can extract any any given point which I heard is NOWHERE near enough. So unless you radically lower the consumpton then you will still have to rely on terrorist oil.

We can have fusion in 5-10 years if the Navy really funds EMC2 fusion designed by Bussard well.

Zachstar
12-18-07, 10:59 PM
I had bad gas once and it lasted nearly a full day! That was some funky taco's I was eating.

Sadly that kind of gas greatly contributes to global warming. Worse than CO2.

Now thats really smelly! LOL!

d@rk51d3
12-19-07, 03:03 AM

BOOOM, TISH! :D

Actually, I was thinking along the same lines. You just beat me to it.:oops: