PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting in the navy - your experiences?

Ula Jolly
12-18-07, 04:39 PM
I am thinking about enlisting in the navy next year. Having played around quite a bit with Dangerous Waters and sims of the like, and having an interest in (but hardly the head for) maths, I thought sonar room service was one of the things I wanted to try to acheive.
Now, I'm sure the US/UK/any navy will differ from another, but the country in question is Norway. :) I can't imagine the inter-NATO differences are extreme when it comes to boating, and I'd basically just love to hear your personal experiences with service in the navy, aboard a boat.
Questions arise such as, what requirements should I prepare for? Physically as well as regarding mathematics. It's all processed on a screen nowadays, but what should I prep for, if anything? Also I guess sonar duty would require a pretty damned keen ear above anything else, so that's halfway not up to me. :) Can I amaze them with my hobby gaming* enthusiasm?:arrgh!:

*the unspoken word, perhaps?

sonar732
12-18-07, 07:34 PM
I am thinking about enlisting in the navy next year. Having played around quite a bit with Dangerous Waters and sims of the like, and having an interest in (but hardly the head for) maths, I thought sonar room service was one of the things I wanted to try to acheive.
Now, I'm sure the US/UK/any navy will differ from another, but the country in question is Norway. :) I can't imagine the inter-NATO differences are extreme when it comes to boating, and I'd basically just love to hear your personal experiences with service in the navy, aboard a boat.
Questions arise such as, what requirements should I prepare for? Physically as well as regarding mathematics. It's all processed on a screen nowadays, but what should I prep for, if anything? Also I guess sonar duty would require a pretty damned keen ear above anything else, so that's halfway not up to me. :) Can I amaze them with my hobby gaming* enthusiasm?:arrgh!:

*the unspoken word, perhaps?

Oh...good times, good times. When I first enlisted and went thru the rigors of Military Entrance Processing, we had an audiology test for our ears. I guess I did really good because when I told the person across the desk that I wanted something in Intel and electronics, he showed me sonar technician, submarine. You'll have to train your ears really good. For instance, having to tell how many shafts just by the sound, the difference between cavitation and a high RPM shaft propellor, and the classic pop you hear when a sub changes depth. Math plays a part also as I remember basic TMA being taught.

Good luck!

Ula Jolly
12-19-07, 03:30 AM
I've been told it is better to go in as an officer than an elisted man.
My options are rather limited, as this is not a proper enlistment; Norway practises a limited draft, so I'll be at the very bottom in terms of rank. I will pick up on trigonometry skills this spring. DW could be good help in this and in listening exercises, unfortunately I don't have proper access to the game. :)

Sonar732: Could you tell me more about the path from (what I guess is) the recruitment officer to actually sitting somewhere?

sonar732
12-19-07, 03:52 PM
In the US Navy, you report to Recruit Training Command for a 6 week crash course on Navy tradition, seamanship, etc. Then, you will attend Basic Enlisted Submarine School (BESS) in Groton, CT. Ater flearning proper submarine procedures there like damage control and drive & dive trainers, you report to Sonar Technician school on base. This is where you learn electronic fundamentals, "tuning" your ears to sounds you hear in the water, and interpretation of the sonar stack. In your last few weeks of sonar school, you'll receive orders to which boat you are to report to. Granted, you filled out a wish list earlier, but there are no promises you'll get what you asked for.

sunvalleyslim
12-20-07, 01:21 AM
Ula Jolly,
They will promise you anything to get you there. It's what you want that's important.
First off I congratulate you for serving your country...That's awesome.......Try to atttain what you want, but be prepared to accept what you can do and what's available at the time.....To Serve and To Protect is first and foremost.....whatever happens it will be an opportunity of a lifetime.....go with the flow and enjoy yourself

Ula Jolly
12-20-07, 09:20 AM
@ Sonar: Thanks a lot for the help =) To clarify a bit, I am not specific about submarines yet. Though I imagine my stomach fares better in our little shallow-water diesel-electrics than in our new frigates. :) The Norwegian navy is about a hundredth of everything the US navy is, ie four-five frigates, six-seven submarines and only one marine school. :D Maybe I should air the possibility of getting a naval career to them, too.