PDA

View Full Version : Strobe flashing effect identified

-Pv-
12-15-07, 08:54 PM
I have been able to reproduce the "flashing" effect that looks like strobing when using the outside views.

On my machine it's caused by the new reflective outline around the sub in near-dark lighting conditions. The effect appears to not be able to decide to be on or off and flashes intermittantly until the lighting conditions have brightened enough to keep it on, or darkened enough to keep it off. This flashing also lights up nearby surfaces making the photo flash effect everywhere you look near the sub.

I suspect this reflective "halo" around the boat used to be the white outline we saw traced around the under surfaces of the sub in past releases. Since patch 1.4 where they "fixed" a water rendering problem, I think this reflection is the result and was supposed to be there all along. Unfortunately, the logic controlling when it is displayed or not is a little squirly during dusk lighting conditions.
-Pv-

tomoose
12-16-07, 01:19 PM
I was just going to post a query about this effect. I hadn't really noticed it up 'til now but in my latest mission a lot of action took place at dusk/night and I noticed there seemed to be some sort of flickering and shadows/certain objects were occasionally flashing in a light colour instead of dark. My wave motion was a tad stuttery too which I hadn't experienced so much in the past. Part of the reason I'm sure is that there was a lot of rain at one point which, on my system, resulted in a slight slow down.

Having said all that, are we stuck with the strobe?
:-?