PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter 3 Screen Resolutions ?

Oulton
12-15-07, 08:33 PM
Hi guys, just returned to SH3 after a long lay off.
Since I last loaded it, the PC has been upgraded and to be honest the graphics are very poor.
The monitor is a widescreen, capable of 1440 x 900, and the video card is a X1950 Pro 512mb.
I know the video card is fine because I run other simulators with very good results.
What is the max resolution that SH3 will run at, and have you any more hints - tips to improve things ?
In particular, the periscope view at night is very blocky.
I've searched through the threads for similar situations, some general answers but none specific as I can see.
Maybe you can help ?

Thanks guys

Oulton

Panama Red
12-15-07, 09:15 PM
Download this "fix", follow the directions in the "readme file" and you can set any resolution your video card can handle in the "d3d9.cfg" file settng.

http://files.filefront.com/SH3+XPSP2+Res+Fix+for+14bzip/;7588690;/fileinfo.html

This is a missing part of the "readme file" incase you have any questions:
This DLL attempts to override the screen resolution set by a Direct3D 9 program. To install, extract this archive to the directory the program is installed to. Do NOT install the DLL into any system directories. Edit the cfg file for resolution and other settings.

Oulton
12-16-07, 10:09 PM
Thanks for the reply Red but I cannot get this to work at all, still stuck in native resolution.
I downloaded the zip and run the bat file, nothing happened.
I edited the d3d9.cfg to 1440 x 900 and still nothing.
I read another thread where it suggested I need this : Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0
Followed the procedure to the letter and it produced a *.sdb file ok, but still no joy.
Any ideas has to where I'm going wrong here, be pleased to hear them ?

Thanks

Oulton:cry:

Panama Red
12-17-07, 06:51 AM
Oulton:
I'm at a loss. I have used both methods (each one on a different PC and both worked for me). I am assuming that you have XP2 or XP3 (you do not need the M$ toolkit or the .bat file if you are using XP1), if you are using Vista, then I have no idea since I am staying as far awary from Vista as I can.

You might want to try over on the official Ubisoft website under their technical thread and see if they can help you. Good luck.

danlisa
12-17-07, 06:53 AM
Try 1440 x 800/1400 x 800 There have been issues with funny dimensions on widescreen displays.:-? Don't know why but 'play' with the res a little.

Oulton
12-17-07, 07:57 PM
Thanks again for the replies guys.
Seems as though I have an error, I tried to uninstall the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.
An error 1722 came up, seems as though there's a problem with that Installer Package.
I guess I have all the info I need to sort it now, just a matter of pin pointing the actual problem.
I quess that'll be a case of trial and error, thanks guys.

Oulton

coronas
12-18-07, 06:55 AM
Same video card here and I had same problem. The best resolution is 1280x960 with ATI X1950pro. Try it.
Cheers!

von Kinderei
12-18-07, 05:18 PM
I couldn't get this to work either ...

I have Windows XP SP2 and I followed the directions to the letter and no joy ... the max I was shootin' for was 1280x1024 :hmm:

My video card is a Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT ... by the way , if anyones usin' this card what drivers are you usin' ?

:roll:

vK ~

johnno74
12-18-07, 05:29 PM
I've successfully used the patch in Panama Red's post on both vista and XP to play at 1680x1050.

I didn't have to install the app. compatibility toolkit.

Panama Red
12-18-07, 08:45 PM
johnno74:
The nice thing about the "fix" that I posted is that you DO NOT have to download M$'s Toolkit or go through all those steps to get it to work. The batch file loads all in information into the system so you just need to set the resolution in the "cfg" file and away you go.:up:

johnno74
12-19-07, 07:02 AM
johnno74:
The nice thing about the "fix" that I posted is that you DO NOT have to download M$'s Toolkit or go through all those steps to get it to work. The batch file loads all in information into the system so you just need to set the resolution in the "cfg" file and away you go.:up:

Yep, quite right :up:

Far less hassles.

Fubar2Niner
12-19-07, 09:56 AM
I have the same problem chaps trying to run 1600x1200 using 8800 gtx sli. Even tried using one card only but still no go. Wierd thing is using the ACT method always used to work for me untill my latest install. Tried everything since I can only imagine it's a xp update or something thats killing it :down:

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Oulton
12-19-07, 08:58 PM
Thanks coronas for the 1280 x 960 solution but that didn't work I'm sorry to say.
I think what I need to do is to start all over again, this hard drive is ready for a format !
I have had several versions of SH3 on it, and suspect there are different registry entries involved here.
Sometimes I use the default folder ex SilenHunterIII or even simply SH3, with several possible registry entries, this may well be causing it.
I know for sure I had a bad install of M$'s Toolkit, and I cannot remove this programme !
The next time I'll go for the " batch file " version of this fix, and steer clear of M$'s Toolkit.
Just one question though, is the batch file written with a specific default folder name I wonder ?
I hope to get chance over Christmas to format the drive, I'll keep you guys posted.
If there's anything else you can think of, please give this thread a bump ?

Thanks again guys for your comments, very much appreciated.

Regards to all

Oulton

Oulton
12-22-07, 09:08 AM
What do you do to get the resolution level to display ?
Do you run the sim in a smaller window and look at the display level on the title bar ?
Probably not the best description in the world but hey I'm trying !

Thanks guys

Oulton

SNAKE1937
12-22-07, 09:56 AM
I have a great scrssn on my Dell 2405 set at "MAX everything" with Athlon 64FX60, 4Gigs RAM, two 512MB 7900's in SLI, on XP pro.

Oulton
12-22-07, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Snake but I ain't sure that helps me an awfull lot !
Glad you're sorted though.

Oulton

Panama Red
12-22-07, 03:42 PM
Oulton:
You have to go into the d3d9,cfg file (use Notepad) and change the resolution to what you want for the game. Remember, read the "readme" in the zip.

Samwolf
12-22-07, 04:37 PM
Is anyone else getting a slightly distorted graphics on the map screen using this fix?

The graphics look great but the grid numbers "AN", "BE", etc and the map legend look like the fonts have been triple printed and bolded.

Oulton
12-23-07, 08:20 PM
Hi Red, thanks for the reply, much appreciated.
I have edited the d3d9.cfg with every resolution my monitor can handle, still no joy.
When I run SH3 in a window, on the top left it allways shows 1024 X 768 :cry:

Thanks again Red

Oulton

TarJak
12-23-07, 08:30 PM
Well there's your problem. You can only run SHIII windowed in one res and you got it. the fix only works when running full screen.

johnno74
12-23-07, 09:13 PM
Is anyone else getting a slightly distorted graphics on the map screen using this fix?

The graphics look great but the grid numbers "AN", "BE", etc and the map legend look like the fonts have been triple printed and bolded.

Yeah the text on the map always has been a little borked for me, but its still readable.

Still definitely worthwhile, IMO.

Samwolf
12-23-07, 10:07 PM

Yeah the text on the map always has been a little borked for me, but its still readable.

Still definitely worthwhile, IMO.

Thanks, just wondering if it was only my moniter that was doing it.

Django55
04-22-09, 04:13 PM
I'm really fed up with all this crap.
I have a ATI4870 and I run SP3. Don't think it changes something ?
My screen is a VW222 ASUS. 1680x1050
I used Compatibility Toolkit 5.0. I placed d3d9.dll and d3d9.cfg in my SH3 folder. I modified the d3d9.cfg file with correct screen size (1680x1050).
Still it doesn't work !!! Even with GWX 3.0 !
I tried all possibilities of GPU Scaling...
PLEASE HELP ME GUYS !!!!!!! :damn:

Annatar
04-22-09, 11:58 PM
ATI

There's your problem.
Enjoy your stretched screen.

irish1958
04-23-09, 06:54 AM
Download link broken; anybody have the files foe the fix?

danlisa
04-23-09, 07:00 AM
Download link broken; anybody have the files foe the fix?

Yeah, it's my link. Funny thing, someone told me FF was shutting down, so I d/l & backed up all my files. Will post it later.:up:

Django55
04-23-09, 09:34 AM
There's your problem.
Enjoy your stretched screen.
What do you mean ? I've tried with an Nvidia and it doesn't work either...
Can someone help me please ? :wah:

Fincuan
04-23-09, 09:42 AM
There's no way around the stretched screen at the moment if one wants to play full-screen on a non-4:3 display. A partial solution is to use the Widescreen-mod available at the Mods workshop here, but it doesn't work with Ati and your UI will still be stretched(it's still a WIP).

Django55
04-23-09, 10:13 AM
Ok so I have to set the GPU CONSERV PROPORTIONS option and play 4/3 ? :shifty:

JHuschke
05-09-09, 12:04 AM
I have Windows Vista Home Premium.. and I have res at 1440x900, can you give me a dl link? I am tired of how messed up and half of the game screen that I see.

lowenz
05-22-09, 06:21 AM
Yeah, it's my link. Funny thing, someone told me FF was shutting down, so I d/l & backed up all my files. Will post it later.:up:
We are waiting, please! :up:

Sam.Willow
12-12-15, 07:27 PM
If your Silent Hunter starts at 1024X768 you are in "windowed mode". Select Options> Video and then put a check in the full screen option. Restart the game and enjoy.

Aktungbby
12-12-15, 09:28 PM
Sam.Willow!:Kaleun_Salute:PSSSST: check the dates before responding; this one is over 6 years old.

Faelchu
12-12-15, 09:34 PM
They died at their desks waiting for that answer :salute:

Jimbuna
12-13-15, 09:27 AM
Welcome to SubSim Sam :sunny:

Sittingwolf
12-13-15, 02:38 PM
Hi guys. After long break, trying to come back to SH3. I have always seemed to overcome this issue somewhat, this time however, I failed. This is me trying to sort out the resolution problem. Running win 10 pro 64 I cant get my native resolution 1920x1080 to work with the game. Tried compatibility mode like windows XP or 7, which is now enabled + run as administrator. Not a chance boys. Even vanilla has black stripes on both sides if it only works cos at the moment after clicking the SH3 icon I get straight CTD. Not to mention when I install whatever mod.

The message that I get when clicking on the game icon is:

'Optimal Resolution Notification - this is not the optimal screen resolution for the primary display. The optimal resolution is 1920x1080. Select this notification for more information'.

I would try and upload picture for you to see but this is my first time and I dont know how to enlarge it to reasonable size as the picture is too small to see it clear when uploaded. SORRY. Anyways. Help!! :/\\!!

Sittingwolf
12-17-15, 01:05 PM
First attempt to sort out resolution issue, according to what HanSolo78 suggested me doing - failed. :wah::/\\!!

11Bravo
12-17-15, 03:47 PM
Hi Sittingwolf. I was in a similar situation but with Windows 7 64bit and here is what worked for me.

Step 1.

Use the resolution fix that everyone points out. Choose a resolution supported by your video card in the d3d9.cfg and apply it using the batch file as instructed in the readme file. Launch your game and observe it to fail.

Step 2.

Then locate the following two config files:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3\SH3\data\cfg\main.cfg

and

C:\Users\11Bravo\Documents\SH3\data\cfg\main.cfg

Choose the same supported resolution. Now launch your game and watch it fail just like the last time.

Step 3.

Now lower the resolution of your screen to 1024x768. Launch the game. For me it worked in fullscreen mode. When I quit the game I changed my screen resolution back to the desired resolution. Restarted the game. And it has worked ever since.

Oh glorious 1920x1080 stretched graphics. Oval compasses never looked so good.

Sittingwolf
12-17-15, 04:51 PM
@11Bravo, Thanks. Will check that out. Maybe it'll help. Report back soon.

Good hunting.

Sittingwolf
12-18-15, 09:00 AM
Hi. I found somewhere on SUBSIM forum SH3_XPSP2_Res_Fix_for_1.4b. Unpacked and install it according to the instructions. Positive result; Screen resolution stretched to meet sort of 1920x1080 so it helped. Really good job up until now and you can proudly call it prototype of 1920x1080 fix. I can't even imagine how hard it must be to make FHD out of 1024x768. Big, big 'Thank You' to those who make it happen and We will be looking forward to a new and better version of 1920x1080 mod. :salute:

Good hunting!

11Bravo
12-18-15, 09:42 AM
Excellent. That is indeed the fix I am using as well.

Good hunting.