PDA

View Full Version : AA Gun Glitch

Dark_Raevin
12-15-07, 03:53 PM
What the heck is with this glitch. How do the game designers expect you to use the AA gun to shoot down planes when the stupid ship wall is blocking your view :damn:.
I attach the pic below so you know what I'm talking about.
I searched the forum for info but I didn't find a fix.
I running the 1.3 version.
Is this fixed in the 1.4 version.file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/AXE%7E1.SHA/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg
http://home.mycybernet.net/%7Eraevin/AA%20Gun%20Glitch.JPG
file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/AXE%7E1.SHA/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Axe.SHADOW/Desktop/AA%20Gun%20Glitch.JPGfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/AXE%7E1.SHA/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg

donut
12-15-07, 04:08 PM
I believe that is the high walled gun tub,used on early war subs,BTW,I do recall there being a fix. search,AA gun wall/tub:lol:

Dark_Raevin
12-15-07, 06:20 PM
I searched for "AA gun wall/tub", but nothing is posted.
I've got an Ati HD3870 w/ 7.11 CCC if that helps.
Maybe is a driver issue, or just bad sub skin overlay ?.

swdw
12-15-07, 06:43 PM
Which boat and what year? I have a 3870 and will see what I get.

-Pv-
12-15-07, 09:03 PM
This problem has been on the Gato since day one and all patches. No known fix. I let my crew do the shooting. They hit a lot more than I do anyway.
-Pv-

Elder-Pirate
12-15-07, 09:13 PM
Never heard of a Captain fire the guns on his ship yet, that's what the gunners are for. Get a gunner with at least 98/110 gun experience and watch him mow down those 0's and Betty's every time ( well almost every time :roll: ).

Steeltrap
12-16-07, 04:56 AM
You're in a submarine - the AA gun is for emergencies i.e. if you have no choice. When I played I never fired mine at all....not once. With SD radar there's no excuse for being on the surface by the time planes arrive (even with SD as snafu'd as it is).

Fincuan
12-16-07, 05:30 AM
With two twin-20mm guns and decent gunners you don't need an excuse to be on the surface - the planes will be mowed down before they get even close :)

edit: Oh yeah, the fix for the problem. The search function is your friend
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=121179&highlight=bathtub

SnowCajun
12-16-07, 05:45 AM
That wall went away for me with the v1.4 patch, have you loaded that yet?

SnowCajun

PepsiCan
12-16-07, 06:34 AM
What the heck is with this glitch. How do the game designers expect you to use the AA gun to shoot down planes when the stupid ship wall is blocking your view :damn:.
I attach the pic below so you know what I'm talking about.
I searched the forum for info but I didn't find a fix.
I running the 1.3 version.

Hi

It is a BUG and it is not related to your videocard or other hardware in any way.

Early war subs had an enclosed metal bridge. During later war years, the bridge was revised, which took away the metal walls. This lowered the sub's profile and visibility. In the training mission, this new bridge version is available, hence you have no problem there. But when you start a mission pre 1943, your sub will have the so called 'bath tub' configuration. When you perform well, the bridge will be upgraded to the later designs.

The issue in the game is that the gun camera view is actually positioned too far away from the gun sight. Hence, when you swing the gun around, the camera position will sometimes swing outside the bridge bath-tub. The metal wal then blocks your view.

There is a mod out there that slightly alters the gun's camera position. Look in the mod forum and do a search there in one of the stickies or repost your question there. Also search with the words 'bath tub' and 'fix'.

I trust that helps.

Dark_Raevin
12-16-07, 11:16 AM
Yes, I have a Gato class sub. I would let my gunners shoot the planes down like I did in SH3, but they are soooo inaccurate. I was thinking of updating to 1.4, but I can't find a no-dvd fix for 1.4, (hate using the original dvd in my drive).
I will search for the tub fix.....

jdkbph
12-16-07, 11:28 AM
Aside from the graphical issue, I find that the forward AA gun on ships so equipped does not traverse as far as one might expect. There seems to be an artificial (ie, in game) limiter that restricts the gun to a 45 degree (or so) horizontal arc. Or at least that's how it appears to me.

Has anyone else noticed this (you can see it in TM's artillery training mission), and is there a way to fix it?

JD

Elder-Pirate
12-16-07, 01:21 PM
I was thinking of updating to 1.4, but I can't find a no-dvd fix for 1.4, (hate using the original dvd in my drive).
I will search for the tub fix.....

Aren't you using patch 1.3? The DVD is not required to use since this patch and remains not to be used in patch 1.4. Unless of course you want to delete SH4 off your HD and install a clean SH4 then you need the disc, but surely a one time DVD use in the PC DVD tray will not kill you.

plaguedog
12-18-07, 09:43 AM
Sounds like a pirated version......

Elder-Pirate
12-18-07, 04:30 PM
Sounds like a pirated version......

Jeez I hope not for I might have to turn on the sonar and open the tube doors. :arrgh!: :D

:lurk:

Welcome to subsim plaguedog.

-Pv-
12-18-07, 08:06 PM
"That wall went away for me with the v1.4 patch, have you loaded that yet?"

Apparently you have the super secret prestige gold version of the 1.4 patch.

As for MY 1.4 patch version in an un-modded version of the game, blocking still occures on the gato at certain angles.
-Pv-