PDA

View Full Version : New SPB Beta release

UglyMowgli
12-12-07, 05:22 AM
A beta is here (ypu need to have a working dongle to run it)

http://www.esimgames.com/Downloads.htm#Steel

porphy
12-12-07, 05:29 AM
Yes! Downloading now... Quite impressive release notes to be a beta that covers about half the coming upgrade. :D

Skybird
12-12-07, 06:17 AM
I was beaten to it... :damn: I was beaten to it...:damn: You two better never meet me on the streets after sunset!:arrgh!:

At least the direct link to the release notes:

http://www.esimgames.com/Downloads.htm#Steel

-----

Download size: 550 MB, 6 zips.

-----

ANZAC users! This patch is not for you! You will be noted on a separate ANZAC patch directly.

-----

Note that there was a hot debate and quite some anger ebtween eSim and parts of the community when eSim announced it'S intention to charge the new update that originally was planned to be complete and being sold in one piece. It always was said from the beginning that at some point, additonal updates would cost money.

Before and after that trouble, they decided to split it, and release the stuff they have for free, but the completion of this addon, which is adding new stuff, and is less a patch repairing old things (that too) will cost you money (status: Dec. 2007), and is expected to arrive near or in next summer.

Since this beta release is not as thoroughly tested as they usually do, it holds the - hopefully small - risk of some - hopefully minor - things not working as intended. Keep that in mind. The compelte testing of theirs will not be completed until the relase of the second half of this upgrade.

Complicated story behin all this, but don't ask me to summarize it all - the discussion we had over there was very much upheated due to the ignorrance of some, and it really turned into a mess, and has left some damage. I hope it calms down again, and does not change eSim's community-friendly orientation. ssnake does a hell of a job of being a servant to the community, and he definitely has deserved something better than some of what was coming at him in the past 5 weeks.

---------

Steel Beasts ressources sticky thread was updated.