PDA

View Full Version : The Entire Crew goes to Sleep???

Oldgamer48
12-09-07, 02:21 PM
After 3 1x campaigns in SHIII, I finally bit the bullet and bought SH4. I've been generally impressed with the game. However ...

At 0934 on December 11, 1941, the ENTIRE CREW of the USS Tambor went to sleep. What's up with this? :o I also can't seem to wake them.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a mod that deals with such problems?

mookiemookie
12-09-07, 02:25 PM
Did you have them at battle stations? If you turn it on and forget to turn it off, this will happen.

Seadogs
12-09-07, 04:57 PM
I've had this happen to me. No battle stations.

Just let them rest up and you will be fine. As for why this pops up every now and then, I don't have a clue.

Fish40
12-09-07, 05:58 PM
I forget where I read it, but it said something to the effect that saveing games at certain times of the day (in game of coarse) causes a problem with the crew rotation when you reload the save.

It's happenrd to me a few times. Cruising along in TC, when all of a sudden my speed drops to zero, all goes silent, and a quick look at the crew management screen shows them all snoreing z'ss. I manually have to rearrange them until finally the rotation kicks in again.

aanker
12-09-07, 07:10 PM
I've had this happen to me. No battle stations.

Just let them rest up and you will be fine. As for why this pops up every now and then, I don't have a clue. Me too. I wake them up with battlestations then after the boat begins moving again (within a minute or so) I secure and they are fine.
I forget where I read it, but it said something to the effect that saveing games at certain times of the day (in game of coarse) causes a problem with the crew rotation when you reload the save. Different 'bug' than above: With 1.3 it was don't save within 1/2 hour of watch change. I haven't had this happen with 1.4 yet... thought they fixed it.

Art

NefariousKoel
12-09-07, 10:58 PM
Yes, it was an issue on occasion after you've saved a game. When you came back later and loaded it up the whole crew's fatigue rating would be nearly bottomed out and wouldn't take long for them all to go Zzzz.

I thought that was supposed to be fixed in the latest patch? Well, there was something about fixing save games, anyway.

Oldgamer48
12-09-07, 11:13 PM
Yes, it was an issue on occasion after you've saved a game. When you came back later and loaded it up the whole crew's fatigue rating would be nearly bottomed out and wouldn't take long for them all to go Zzzz.

I thought that was supposed to be fixed in the latest patch? Well, there was something about fixing save games, anyway.
Thanks to you and all the other skippers for your answers. It took 25 minutes, without rearranging the crew, for us to get underway, again. I haven't had it reoccur, thankfully. It wouldn't be all that cool if it happened while you were manuevering away from two DD's that were pounding you, in the middle of a convoy!

The situation you gave was exactly what happened to me. After loading up from a savegame, it only took a few minutes for everyone to mutiny!

BTW, I use the greenlamp mod, and so I know the crew weren't at battlestations.

Anyway, thanks fellas ...

maerean_m
12-10-07, 06:33 AM
There was a bug related to crew watches not changing correctly during loading that led to very tired crewmen, but it got fixed in the 1.4 patch.

kiwi_2005
12-10-07, 06:59 AM
I just totally ignore the crew altogether, as long as i remeber to remove them from battlestations then nothing else needs to be done, the game looks after the crew.

ETR3(SS)
12-10-07, 08:05 AM
You've stumbled across an old naval tradition know as field day. Field day is suppossed to be a top to bottom cleaning of the ship, but some sailors use it as an excuse to crawl into the bilges and take a nap.

Snuffy
12-10-07, 08:21 AM
I save the game at every 12 hour (in game) intervals. I've only once seen the entire crew sleeping but found out later it was due to my failing to take them off battlestations. :damn:

Never had the problem since. :)

swdw
12-11-07, 10:17 AM
Raymond 6751 found this and fixed it for RFB. Here's how you can fix it in any install
-------------------------------------------------------
R6751
I have a simple fix for the issue of entire crew falling asleep. The issue was one of not recovering enough when they are sleeping.

In the Data Folder there is a folder called upcdata, and in it another called upcunitsdata. In there you will find several files for the various sub types. I was sailing a Tambor, so I edited that file: UnitParts7Tambor.upc AFTER BACKING IT UP TO A DIFFERENT NAME, such as UnitParts7Tambor.upc.bak.

In the file, in a number of places, you will see a line:
SleepCoef= -0.12

Each compartment on the sub has such a line. Double it to -0.24
Note it is a minus amount. This doubles the recovery value of sleep in this compartment. I didn't alter anything else, nor any other file.

I ran a 3 week patrol and recorded the results for various sailors in various compartments. I then took one man and moved him around. I discovered that my system works fine for all ranks, all compartments.

I also ran in x256, x512, 1556, x2048, and higher with no change in efficiency of the sleep.

I also discovered that recovery is different for various men and for the same man in different compartments. This may be due to their rank, experience, being out of position, who knows. It is realistic.

No crew member had difficulty staying awake and was fully recovered in time to do his shifts.

There are files for each sub type, so edit the one(s) you use.

Oldgamer48
12-11-07, 11:36 AM
One thing I ought to point out. I had other problems with SH4 that were directly related to the fact that I thought I had Patch 1.4, but was actually running 1.0. I felt like a complete idiot when I found out what I had done. It had something to do with using gameshadow (I thought I was downloading, but really wasn't).

Once again, thanks.

SteamWake
12-11-07, 02:05 PM
I just totally ignore the crew altogether, as long as i remeber to remove them from battlestations then nothing else needs to be done, the game looks after the crew.

What about when your taking damage ? Dont you need to shuffle some crew into the damage control stations ?

Yes I know you can fill them before leaving the dock but to me thats kinda sorta cheating.

Elder-Pirate
12-11-07, 07:08 PM
Raymond 6751 found this and fixed it for RFB. Here's how you can fix it in any install
-------------------------------------------------------
R6751
I have a simple fix for the issue of entire crew falling asleep. The issue was one of not recovering enough when they are sleeping.

In the Data Folder there is a folder called upcdata, and in it another called upcunitsdata. In there you will find several files for the various sub types. I was sailing a Tambor, so I edited that file: UnitParts7Tambor.upc AFTER BACKING IT UP TO A DIFFERENT NAME, such as UnitParts7Tambor.upc.bak.

In the file, in a number of places, you will see a line:
SleepCoef= -0.12

Each compartment on the sub has such a line. Double it to -0.24
Note it is a minus amount. This doubles the recovery value of sleep in this compartment. I didn't alter anything else, nor any other file.

I ran a 3 week patrol and recorded the results for various sailors in various compartments. I then took one man and moved him around. I discovered that my system works fine for all ranks, all compartments.

I also ran in x256, x512, 1556, x2048, and higher with no change in efficiency of the sleep.

I also discovered that recovery is different for various men and for the same man in different compartments. This may be due to their rank, experience, being out of position, who knows. It is realistic.

No crew member had difficulty staying awake and was fully recovered in time to do his shifts.

There are files for each sub type, so edit the one(s) you use.

Seems like you did not read maerean_m post as he said it was fixed in the 1.4 patch.

Since 1.4 I've saved a little before, a little after crew change and saved game, came back awhile later and crew were at the same level as I left them.

Of course they were not left at "Battle Stations" either.